• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Project: Rackmount Overkill

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
File server, scanner feed, domain controller, Team Foundation Server, etc. I have quite a few virtual machines running on them.

File server, scanner feed, domain controller, Team Foundation Server, etc. I have quite a few virtual machines running on them.

Niceeeee, me was just thinking....how hard is it to make my own mail server? I mean i don`t think i`d need a lot of power for it, but how hard is it to create it software-wise?

Getting one running? Fairly easy. Getting it secure? Not as easy. Most ISPs will block the ports you need to send and receive email anyway.

I wouldn't suggest it.

Getting one running? Fairly easy. Getting it secure? Not as easy. Most ISPs will block the ports you need to send and receive email anyway.

I wouldn't suggest it.

Thanks man. I`m looking for a little project that involves PCs and I :shrug: what should it be...

Build a server for other purposes. If nothing else, you get experience with them.

Take a look through this thread to get ideas.

File server is starting to get full kinda quick. I'm not sure if I want to simply add more 3 TB drives or go with a larger size.

l3005YV.png

Code:
NAME          SIZE  ALLOC   FREE    CAP  DEDUP  HEALTH  ALTROOT
StoragePool  16.2T  9.70T  6.55T    59%  1.00x  ONLINE  -

Build a server for other purposes. If nothing else, you get experience with them.

Take a look through this thread to get ideas.

+1 Building an ESX box would be rewarding if you're looking to learn something new.

Shortly after I woke up today, I was greeted with a "CRACK" loud enough that I thought it was my laser printer falling off the rack. A long UPS beep quickly followed. When I got over to the rack, I smelled the most rancid electronics burning smell ever. I frantically tried to locate what equipment exploded.

Hard drives were ok. Top R710 was ok. Bottom R710 was ok. Switch was lit up. I couldn't find the culprit and the smell wasn't going away. After some more quick investigating, I saw the lights on the pfSense router were off. The Optiplex 780's power supply literally exploded. I tore it apart to check what failed and I can't find any burn marks or exploded chips. There is a piece rattling under the board, though.

I need a router since I work from home, so I tried to find replacement parts locally, which I expected to be a bust. There is a nearby shop that I stopped by and they didn't have it, but could order it (yeah, thanks...). They had a couple small systems, but wanted $250 for a tower-only system older than my Core2 setup. Yeah. Right.

On the way home, I was contemplating using my spare router, which seems obvious to use. However, the capacitors in it are bulging and I have replacements for them. So, do I risk killing my only spare system to fix capacitors or run on the broken ones hoping they work? Since I work tomorrow, I decided that it would be a bad idea to replace them. I got the hard drive migrated over to the new system, configured the interfaces, and put it on the network. Works great. However, I hear the hard drive struggling to stay running, because of course why not, right?

With the fragility of my current router setup in mind, I decided now is the time to get a reliable system. Problem is, building my own is substantially more expensive than I thought. The cheapest case I could find that had (easy to locate) dual power supplies was $200 just for the case. I'd still have to furnish it with a motherboard, CPU, RAM, drives, possibly a RAID controller, etc. That adds up incredibly quick.

Instead, I messaged Visbits, who has helped me out a ton with servers and asked for a suggestion. He recommended the Poweredge R410. It is the same socket as my R710, will have similar build quality, and could take an iDrac! Perfect.

I should have one shortly. Commence Router Overkill.

Sounds like things out there are similar to here. Lightning ran in via the cable line (which is now properly connected to a 12 foot long stake in the yard). My purchases included a new router, new pci-e ethernet card, a new tv tuner, and the aforementioned lightning arrestor.

Don't you run some sort of virtualization, couldn't you virtualize your PFSense router? That is what I did for over a year, and may even go back to that. Only reason I moved away from doing that was if I wanted to do maintenance on my VMWare stack I had to take my internet offline.

I considered running it on my current setup, but if I need to restart the server it is on, internet goes down. Running it virtually on the new server is still a consideration, though. For now, it will just be massive overkill. I can't afford to be running on my backup router with bulging caps for too long.

Back