• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Project: Rackmount Overkill

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
Server is running and henceforth will be referred to as "CHILL". I chose the name before realizing what color the ethernet cables coming in out of the router were. I'll have red going from the wall into CHILL and the internal cable is blue. Configured the server's RAID with two 300 GB disks in RAID1 with the remainder being a hot spare.

The disks are taking 30 of the 170w that the server is currently pulling, so I'll likely swap these out. In comparison, the R710's sitting next to the router are drawing that much or less. However, the R710's are running dual processors, more memory, and eight 2.5" disks.

Current configuration:
Dell Poweredge R410
2x redundant hot swap power supply
1x Intel E5620 (2.4 GHz quad core, HT)
32 GB RAM
Dell Perc6 :)()
3x 15k 300 GB SAS disks

IMG_0857-Edit.jpg

IMG_0873-Edit.jpg

IMG_0853-Edit.jpg

IMG_0860-Edit.jpg

iDRAC enterprise card for remote management.
IMG_0864-Edit.jpg

IMG_0866-Edit.jpg

IMG_0868-Edit.jpg

And the server's home: nestled between a R710 and the UPS units.
IMG_0886-Edit.jpg

Last edited:
Cool :cool:
Lots of computer power there.

Might I be able to ask what you do with these servers?
Didn't I read virtulization somewhere?

Wow, that's one heck of a server there thiddy.

The question is - can you hear little overkill over rackmount overkill??

Wow, that's one heck of a server there thiddy.

The question is - can you hear little overkill over rackmount overkill??
It is a bit overkill at the moment, yeah. I would like to try virtualizing the router in the future, but I just need a stable router. My backup router has bulging caps and a dying hard drive. Once I know this works well, then I can move it to Xen along with the R710's.

Yes Silver, the existing servers run Xen as the hypervisor. The R410 will not for now until I work on it some more.

Sophos > pfsense

I'm building a home rack as well. Just not as nice. And with less storage. And with spending less.

I think I've got less than 2k into mine

<Company Brand router)
Cisco WS-C2948G-GE-TX
5 Gen3 Dell 1950s
2 Dell 2950s
SuperMicro based SAN with 2tb of storage
2 Dell 1850s for Misc
4 Upgraded Dell Optiplex's used for Hyper-V (yuck) VDI testing

Running Xen as well. Working on my CCA :D. Are you using XenDesktop for your desktop VM deployment?

Glad to hear someone else running Xen, there are not many of us! I don't use XenDesktop and it appears to require a license.

Is there a reason you are using that hardware instead of going newer? I'd imagine the power draw for all those are going to be pretty high.

So as part of Xen free, do you have full capabilities to move a VM between hosts, I have all that with VMWare but my licensing will be ending next year so I am trying to decide if I should move to a different Virtualization platform.

So as part of Xen free, do you have full capabilities to move a VM between hosts, I have all that with VMWare but my licensing will be ending next year so I am trying to decide if I should move to a different Virtualization platform.
Xen free gives you access to a fully unlocked XenServer install, which includes moving virtual machines between pool members.

Xen free gives you access to a fully unlocked XenServer install, which includes moving virtual machines between pool members.

In response to your earlier question,

I use the 1950s because I got a killer deal on a set of them. I spent maybe less than 500 for all 5 of them fully loaded.

They do use quite a bit of power, but my girlfriend is responsible for electricity. Since I pay all of rent. I normally only keep my SAN and the pool master powered up. Normally I only have my KMS, DC, and file share online on the single host

Glad to hear someone else running Xen, there are not many of us! I don't use XenDesktop and it appears to require a license.

Is there a reason you are using that hardware instead of going newer? I'd imagine the power draw for all those are going to be pretty high.

Xendesktop does require a license. We are a citrix partner, so I just used one of ours. Since I'm the only citrix engineer in my office I just marked it off as use for a development lab

The original HP rack is no longer in my possession. Had a coworker purchase it yesterday.

Amazon had a good deal on Samsung drives, so I snagged a pair for the router. I really didn't need anywhere near 120GB, but it was the smallest I could get for the price. The SSDs will replace the three drives it has, which are loud and pull a ton of power. I'm tempted to virtualize the router, but I'm not 100% sure I want to do it. I'll at least try, though.

IMG_1340.jpg

Last edited:
Out with the old and in with the new. Server is using 20w less just by pulling those three drives.

IMG_1342.jpg

IMG_1343.jpg

Back