• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Project: Rackmount Overkill

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
With the new router, I can run multiple access points off one wireless card. I intend to run a private wireless along with a "public" wireless. The private wireless will function like a bridged access point, so any wireless device can access the wired network, and vice versa. The public network will be nat'd off into its own subnet, and only has internet access.

On the test router, I was able to setup different wireless networks which were entirely separate from each other, which was easy to do. I put a couple hours into getting a bridged wireless going, and it works very well.

InterfaceList.png

With the new router, I can run multiple access points off one wireless card. I intend to run a private wireless along with a "public" wireless. The private wireless will function like a bridged access point, so any wireless device can access the wired network, and vice versa. The public network will be nat'd off into its own subnet, and only has internet access.

On the test router, I was able to setup different wireless networks which were entirely separate from each other, which was easy to do. I put a couple hours into getting a bridged wireless going, and it works very well.

View attachment 174651

Don't run too many APs off the one WIFI card. IIRC throughput is reduced because the NIC has to serve one AP then switch and serve the other, then switch back to the first AP etc.

At least, that's what the DD-WRT forums and wiki say about repeating and virtual APs..
Also jealous of the Gigabit you have going on :drool:

Don't run too many APs off the one WIFI card. IIRC throughput is reduced because the NIC has to serve one AP then switch and serve the other, then switch back to the first AP etc.

At least, that's what the DD-WRT forums and wiki say about repeating and virtual APs..
Also jealous of the Gigabit you have going on :drool:
The guest wireless will only be for guests, and will used a lot less than the "main" wireless. I want to segregate the network for security reasons.

The entire network is gigabit. I thought that was common now. Each R710 server has a 4 gig connection using 4x 1 gig ports.

The guest wireless will only be for guests, and will used a lot less than the "main" wireless. I want to segregate the network for security reasons.

The entire network is gigabit. I thought that was common now. Each R710 server has a 4 gig connection using 4x 1 gig ports.
ohhh sweet sweet Gigabit!

I'm stuck with 100BASET at the moment... Nothing here other than the PC's of course support Gigabit. Not even sure if the satellite modem supports Gigabit. :-/

I installed a Unifi AP AC Pro a few days ago, which works very well and has a great interface. The wireless cards in the pfsense box work well and have a ton of options, but the range is poor and I had dead spots in the apartment.

Not much else has changed.

Nothing has changed since the last updates, but I should hopefully have some big changes in the next few months. I'll post more details as I know more.

It should be official now since I've signed the papers: I'm buying my own place! Before it gets completed, I'm having networking run throughout the house, terminating at the rack. It'll be a few months before I can move in, though.

This one is not mine, but the layout is identical: https://photos.app.goo.gl/oWpR8oVEnD83PhTE6

It should be official now since I've signed the papers: I'm buying my own place! Before it gets completed, I'm having networking run throughout the house, terminating at the rack. It'll be a few months before I can move in, though.

This one is not mine, but the layout is identical: https://photos.app.goo.gl/oWpR8oVEnD83PhTE6
Wow!!

Congrats Corey! :clap:

The next few months will fly by, and you'll be in your own home soon :thup:

Two toys arrived today: a patch panel which takes keystones, and a Ubiquiti US-16-150W PoE switch. The PoE switch location is temporary. I didn't want to have to shuffle around equipment when I'm not going to be using it.

IMG_2759.jpg

IMG_2762.jpg

nice place. aiming towards getting something of my own so i can run cables in the walls.

New stuff should be trickling more often. I stopped by last weekend to see how the place was progressing. All the wiring was run, and the walls are painted.

I had the electrician run a bunch of Cat6a for me:
  • 3 to the master bedroom
  • 3 to the second bedroom
  • 3 to the living room
  • 4 to a hidden place in the kitchen for cameras and the wireless AP
  • 4 outside cameras

All 17 cables terminate in the basement where there is a dedicated 20A circuit.

IMG_20180518_175701.jpg

New stuff should be trickling more often. I stopped by last weekend to see how the place was progressing. All the wiring was run, and the walls are painted.

I had the electrician run a bunch of Cat6a for me:
  • 3 to the master bedroom
  • 3 to the second bedroom
  • 3 to the living room
  • 4 to a hidden place in the kitchen for cameras and the wireless AP
  • 4 outside cameras

All 17 cables terminate in the basement where there is a dedicated 20A circuit.

View attachment 198965

Wow, that's epic. :attn:

No pictures, but the flooring is being done this week.

The power supply in the SAS expander went out sometime tonight. No noise, no fuss, no smell, just stopped working entirely. I have a spare one in now, and I'll need to RMA the original.

I had to stop by the new place today, and noticed they had part of the flooring in.

IMG_20180606_164730.jpg

Back