• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Project: Rackmount Overkill

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
I'll look into that, thanks for the suggestion. I'm almost tempted to just let the ZFS file system handle it and run the Perc's in passthrough...kind of defeats the purpose of those cards though :-/

ya the stuff I read on ZFS does make it sound really cool but definately defeats the purpose of the cards, which are also very nice ones. I love the Perc5/i cards a lot.

Solaris server is GO. I've been tinkering with it for awhile and it has been beating the crap out of me. Finally settled down today and fixed it in ~30 mins. :bang head

Anyways, got the first zpool up. It consists of 7x 1tb Hitachi drives and a single Western Digital 1tb Green.

hitachiwindowsside.png

hitachipool.png

Hmm, I think this is the first time I ever heard about the ZFS file system. And since I'm trying to do what you are (only cheaper...), Ima take a look.

pst, if you ever do sell your Perc 5, pm me the classifieds link. ;)

I think it will be a long time before I sell it. I'm actually looking for another.

Everything should be here on Thursday. Just happens to be my day off!

I'd prefer a normal 42 U rack, although it might be difficult to get into the apartment unless it breaks down.

4u for the file server
2u for the Dell server
1u for power strip
1u for the switch (possibly up to 3u)
A few more u for expansion

So I "need" 8u minimum, I'd like at least a 20u.

Whew, done with the file server (setup wise) after 6 hours of working on it. The only issue I'm having now is one or more of the disks either is not being recognized or not powering up, the RAID card is reporting a disk offline. It doesn't make any sense, I just had it completely up and running then powered it down to modify something. Regardless, the switch is here and not opened (yet!) but everything server wise is setup! With that being said, have a gander.

norco_front_right_off.jpg

norco_front_right_open.jpg

norco_front_right_on.jpg

norco_inside_front.jpg

norco_front_left.jpg

norco_inside_back.jpg

norco_inside_motherboard.jpg

norco_inside_backplane.jpg

norco_inside_backplane_power.jpg

I found out that the HX620 (and other Corair modular PSU's) use the normal ATX 24 pins to connect to the power supply; the actual modular cables themselves. This allows me to make whatever cable I want with as many or different connections as I want! I made two cables, one goes to 5 of the molex on the backplane and then wraps up to the top fan backplane to power the HDD cooling fans. The other goes to the remaining 5 molex on the backplane then over to the OS drive and the DVD reader. As of right now, I don't have the cable to power the DVD drive, so it is not hooked up.

The fans are all Delta AFB0812H, so they have a little whine to them, but it is basically gone once you close the case. There are a few quirks to the case, it takes special screws for the hard drives (don't lose 'em!) and the case has tons and tons of little screws. It helps hold the case together and make it really solid, but it gets annoying at how many you have to keep track of. Besides that, the case is really good, there is very little I can actually complain about.

For now, only 8 drives are being used, I need to get 4 more drives and another Perc 5/i RAID controller. They are installed and powered up, but do not have data connections on them.

And as always, please excuse the mess in the background, I need to clean -_-

What happened to that pentium 2 thing? Did you decide to can the hardware and just use a regular PC and use the case and backplanes and stuff?

What happened to that pentium 2 thing? Did you decide to can the hardware and just use a regular PC and use the case and backplanes and stuff?
The only Pentium 2 I have is my Smoothwall. Besides that, I have no idea what you are talking about :eh?:

Sorry the dell server, what was in it again? Also, I remember when those AMD heatsinks came out, not only was it epeen to have an opteron overclocked, but the heatsinks (like the above pictured) when they came out, were up there with the best aftermarket heatsink... let alone for stock. It was an impressive bundle.

Sorry the dell server, what was in it again? Also, I remember when those AMD heatsinks came out, not only was it epeen to have an opteron overclocked, but the heatsinks (like the above pictured) when they came out, were up there with the best aftermarket heatsink... let alone for stock. It was an impressive bundle.
Dual Pentium 3's. Still not sure what I'm going to do with it :shrug:

Yes, that heatsink works very well. I was going to put my spare TRUE back on it, but it won't fit in the case >.<

Back