• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Project: Rackmount Overkill

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
If you dont want to leave that Optie HS on, you might want to look at the AC freezer LP.

IT NEEDS LAPPING FIRST! but it is a 2u HS that doesnt do too bad on the Phenom X3 I have it on (NON OCed though).

If you end up deciding on a second Perc5i, drop me a PM I can forward you the link to the Ebay seller I just bought my Perc5i, with cables and 512 of memory from for 150 shipped.

I will need a second Perc 5/i, but I do not need cables, I actually have 2 extra ones.

Sure, send me the link, I'll need it eventually. That is pretty cheap.

Oh yeah, forgot to mention that I got everything back up online. I ended up figuring out that once a disk goes "foreign", you can just hit the import button. I had no idea that the tab existed and ended up wiping out my RAID array and had to rebuild it >.<

Thideras, that case is sick! Good luck sorting out the issues. Are you sure it's ok to run every drive on just two cables? A power supply cable usually only has two or three molex connectors on it but you have 6 connectors on each cable. Are you sure thats safe? I'd imagine it is but I'd be worried if you had all the bays filled.

Yes, the cables are lower gauge for the power draw. Assuming 1 amp per drive (which I believe is WAY over what they actually are) at startup, that is only 10 amps power draw per cable. I have a little room left :)

What are your hard drive temps? I see the 5 (80mm?) fans, but I don't see how the air flows over the actual hard drives.

What are your hard drive temps? I see the 5 (80mm?) fans, but I don't see how the air flows over the actual hard drives.
When the case is closed, it pulls it through the front of the case, over the drives. I'm not sure what the temps are, my Perc 5 isn't reporting it.

After wrestling with the server for days, I finally got it over to CentOS instead of Solaris. Solaris was a PITA to use from a command line, the commands were different from "normal" linux distros and they were bass akwards.

SO! After some stupid moments, I finally got the folders shared and everything is functioning correctly.

I also learned that fdisk can NOT work with disks larger than 2tb and you need to use parted to make the partition then format with a 4kb block size (EXT3) to use the entire array. To anyone that has an array this large and wishes to use EXT3, DO NOT forget the '-j' flag (journal), it takes over 1.5 hours to format the disk just to find out you formatted as EXT2 >.<

After wrestling with the server for days, I finally got it over to CentOS instead of Solaris. Solaris was a PITA to use from a command line, the commands were different from "normal" linux distros and they were bass akwards.

SO! After some stupid moments, I finally got the folders shared and everything is functioning correctly.

I also learned that fdisk can NOT work with disks larger than 2tb and you need to use parted to make the partition then format with a 4kb block size (EXT3) to use the entire array. To anyone that has an array this large and wishes to use EXT3, DO NOT forget the '-j' flag (journal), it takes over 1.5 hours to format the disk just to find out you formatted as EXT2 >.<

a rather long mistake ;)

CentOS is pretty fun to play with its been good to me atleast.

no freebsd?? :(
I'd rather start with something I'm familiar with first :)

a rather long mistake ;)

CentOS is pretty fun to play with its been good to me atleast.
That it is. I finally got the server setup with no GUI and I just SSH into the box. I can work on it from work and it just makes it a ton easier than dedicating an entire 24" monitor to the server.

Back