• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Seagate 1.5TB HD $114.99 !!! (HOT!!)

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
Yea, if it were not for the firmware issues I would pull the trigger on this. I am not convinced that they have fully addressed the issue. I have a feeling Seagate is trying to unload these drives and release either a second 1.5 TB 7200.11 model or a new 7200.12 series.

Can anybody confirm that the firmware upgrade still has the problems associated? I've not heard of any problems post-firmware.

i guess its a good option for people who want cheap Raid1 array , no way both drives will crap out at the same time , but then again :p

The problem can surface at any time, they don't even know what triggers it. I had a freshly RMA'd drive die because of the firmware issue 2 months after it was "fixed"; even confirmed it had the updated firmware.

I'd suggest staying away.

Even without the firmware problems there were hardware problems iirc. I mean it's great if you get a working drive that lasts you but there's a reason they're so cheap $/GB, and it's not just this particular model but others in the 7200.11 line as well.

Yeah true^^^ Then again Hard-Drives die anyways. It's all a matter of probability...The true question is HOW LONG BEFORE IT DIES.

Yeah true^^^ Then again Hard-Drives die anyways. It's all a matter of probability...The true question is HOW LONG BEFORE IT DIES.
Yes, and give the track record of the 7200.10 and 7200.11 series drives, I would not expect them to work for very long.

Picked up two of these from newegg back in January. One was DOA, one died during initial format. After restarting the machine, it only recognized it as a <500gb drive in the bios. Sent back to Newegg.

Of the next pair, one lasted <24hrs, the other lasted less than a week.

Got those swapped.

The next pair? One was clicking out of the box (but worked okay, firmware update did not fix the clicking) and the other one died within a week.

So out of 6 drives, none lasted a week. I had to seriously complain to Seagate to get a refund at this point. They insisted on sending me more drives. Talk about obnoxious. And their customer service dept wanted to hear nothing of my troubles and insisted it was just me.

Look at the customer rating on 1.5TB Seagate drives.

Never buying another Seagate piece of hardware in my life.

Personally I think these drives are good enough to buy even though they had a lot of problems initially. They still seem to have a slightly higher failure rate than most drives but they are not failing in droves like they used to.

As long as you back it up from time to time, and if you have any hard drive over 500gb I think you should have it backed up in at least one location, you will be fine.

Also for those of you with a costco card you can get the freeagent desk (this drive in a usb 2.0 enclosure) for 110 in store or online until the 3rd of May iirc.

I have owned a total of 11 of these hard drives at one time or another and only had one falure. It was taken care of by seagate hassel free within a week from asking for an rma to getting a hard drive in hand.

Was thinking about going over 1TB but I have read that anyhting over 1TB will use 5 platter engineering which increases power usage and lowers performance. I also heard about the firmware issues which makes me leary although my current 300GB Seagate has been a champ for years.

I could be wrong, but I am almost sure the WD 2TB is 4 500gb platters.

I have 4 of these drives in Raid 5 on my file server and they have been operating 24x7 since the beginning of January with 0 issues.

Was thinking about going over 1TB but I have read that anyhting over 1TB will use 5 platter engineering which increases power usage and lowers performance. I also heard about the firmware issues which makes me leary although my current 300GB Seagate has been a champ for years.

current 1.5TB 7200.11 seagates use 4 375gb platters.... the 7200.12 1tb uses 2 500gb platters.

all that said i wont buy another seagate for a while... and i ust to be a huge seagate fanboy.

Back