• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

955 Reviews.

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
I read this page from Anandtech and starting to get worry because my Biostar TA790GX 128M is not on the list of compatible motherboard.... :(

Yep, I know a gentleman who has a Biostar TA790GX A2+ and the 955 will only run at 800 MHz with the CPU DID defaulting at 2. Only the A3+ supports it so until Biostar releases a new BIOS were screwed.

^^ it was nice to see some pretty low numbers in wPrime! I bet that since there was a minscule difference, if the 955 was clocked to 4ghz like the intel chip, amd would be on top.

Not yet on the top coz Core i7 still stands there.
But Hey! AMD already gives a good competition with top-of-the-line Core 2 Quad!
I hope AMD can fully return to the competition when both AMD and Intel develop 32nm CPU.

^^ Don't we all... Problem I see is that intel got into 45nm before Amd and they will get into 32nm before Amd, so they will have new revisions out by the time that Amd gets the original out.

So the 955 seems to trade blows with core 2 quads around the 2.83-3Ghz speed then, and can overclock to ~ 3.8Ghz on average. Seems good for competition, but still I bet they would like to have a competitor for core i7.
And with overclocking, the 955 will be a bit behind clock for clock : \

That smart profiling software looks cool.

I hate to be a fanboy for Intel, but the new 920 D0 stepping CPU's are so much better than this, for ~40$ more :(

Last edited:
better?

is the 40 more only on the cpu or the board also? if so that = 80 or more :D

Bahaha, better is very vauge word. Faster clock for clock might be a much better term, but once again the whole price thing comes into play and I don't understand why intel users can't get it into their heads that we don't care if they are faster clock for clock because most likely we spent a lot less. I mentioned this in another thread. A TOP of the line 940BE system with a 940, 790fx board and 8 gigs of 1066 will run about $500, and TOP of the line i7 system with a 940 (I would use the 920, but that isn't top of the line) with an asus pt6 deluxe and 6 gigs of 1600mhz ram will run around $900. There is quite a difference there. And the same goes for a low end system, too. A PII920, 780g board and two gigs of ram can be had for like $250. A low end i7 system on the other hand is almost already over that with just the cpu.

And with overclocking, the 955 will be a bit behind clock for clock : \
If you're talking about the poor OC those guys got with their 955 :screwy: you should check the new threads here and on XS. I think my 8-year-old grandson could OC a 955BE to 3.8 GHz - while wearing a blindfold! ;)

If you're comparing the 955 to the i7 you're in the wrong universe ...

Well given that I can't do a straight drop in upgrade, I would personally buy an AM3 board, 955, DDR3 if I was going AMD.

I looked at Newegg and an AM3 platform with a 955 + DDR3 ~ 470$. The equivalent i7 platform is ~610$.

So ~150$ more you get +~300Mhz, more memory bandwidth, SMT, lower 24/7 voltage, more memory. Seems pretty close to me.

I just think it's pretty foolish to buy a DDR2 platform now, but that's my 2 cents. Everyone will see that amount of money differently.

Don't you guys think AMD's strategy is a little weird considering Intel's last platform beat phenom 1 so bad that most people have Intel atm, so the drop in upgrade strategy won't really work that well?

Last edited:
Except that people are still doing "drop-ins" from TWO platforms ago, not just one, though I admit it's only the late AM2's because the motherboard manufacturers refuse to provide the BIOS support. Maybe that's what makes it "weird", the motherboard manufacturers won't follow the AMD playbook. :-/

But it's not like they're hurting that much because of it, either. By now those AMD CPU frames must be cheap, cheap, cheap since it's the same mold they've been using for three years and even then it was only a minor change from the 5-year-old platform. The AMD motherboard layout has almost gotten boring, but I bet the engineers love it - one less thing to think about! All the clip-on HS's from 5 years ago still work and the screw-mount HS's only need slight bracket modifications, often as simple as drilling 4 holes. Without having to design a new HS base and mounting system I'm sure those guys are making a killing, too, from AMD's "weirdness" ... ;)

Bahaha, better is very vauge word. Faster clock for clock might be a much better term, but once again the whole price thing comes into play and I don't understand why intel users can't get it into their heads that we don't care if they are faster clock for clock because most likely we spent a lot less. I mentioned this in another thread. A TOP of the line 940BE system with a 940, 790fx board and 8 gigs of 1066 will run about $500, and TOP of the line i7 system with a 940 (I would use the 920, but that isn't top of the line) with an asus pt6 deluxe and 6 gigs of 1600mhz ram will run around $900. There is quite a difference there. And the same goes for a low end system, too. A PII920, 780g board and two gigs of ram can be had for like $250. A low end i7 system on the other hand is almost already over that with just the cpu.

You can't compare top of the line vs top of the line because honestly Intel's top of the line is WAY faster than AMD's.

Look at the reviews posted here, even the 955BE gets ripped by the i7 920 in everything except games where the performance is pretty similar(with the PHII having a slight advantage). If you compare a high end PHII build with an i7 920 build the price difference is more like $100.

That said, PHII really shines at the low-mid range. There are a lot of boards for around $100 that can really clock these chips (TA790GX, A7DA-S) and you can either reuse the DDR2 you have or get some new stuff for dirt cheap.

AMD compete Core 2 with Phenom II.
And they got same number.
Core 2 Q9400 vs Phenom II 940
Core 2 Q9550 vs Phenom II 955
Is it coincidence?

So, to compete with Core i7, AMD must create Phenom iVII (VII = 7). :santa:

That was my conclusion as well, and what is 100$ compared to the price of a whole rig ?
Um, the cost of the O/S? More down-to-Earth:

CrossFire/SLI
Blu-Ray instead of DVD
+1 Tb of HDD storage
+4 Gb and faster RAM

$100 can add a nice upgrade to almost any area of a full build. So unless you're doing some kind of raw computing the i7-920 just isn't worth the extra money. Any performance gap for individual needs can be more than made up for by additional or better hardware.

And I'd still argue the $100 difference - it's more than that ... ;->

Looks like Toms got PWNed by Intel.

955s are good if you have to get higher clocks with no OC or want to OC with a slightly smaller carbon footprint. Get a 945 or trike and OC is the best deal for now. Later when the Q3 stepping arrives with lower temps and power consumption we will see much better clocks.

Personally I don't give a rat's sphincter about Intel, IMO AMD has better hardware for a nicer price.

Sorry if I forgot to mention that my post was also meant to have the entirely different groups that the PII's and the i7's go to. Like one of you stated, i7 is totally top of the line with raw computing. There is nothing more to that, but people who use Amd often aren't doing top of the line raw computing. So spending that "extra" $100 is completely unnecesary when you don't need to.

Back