• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

955 Reviews.

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
I saw on firingsquad.com that they were only able to overclock 955 to 3.86 GHz stable. I was kinda hoping for 4 GHz stable under 64 bit. I guess it will continue to be a hit or miss.

I think that stability testing might make the real difference there, some might run prime for hours while some in a rush just do a 5 minues long pi and say they are stable.

I am quite sure there are more compatible mobo's than just those, maybe the list will be updated as the newer bioses roll out.

The power consumption test on TH is a must see. ROTFL. But their hate for the 720 did not stop there.

The only standout in this clumsy console port is AMD’s Phenom II X3 720, which lags at both 1680x1050 and 1920x1200.

The 720 was less than 10% slower still over 45FPS, but that's lagging...
What's the problem Tom ? Does the 720 sell too well ? Is the price performance of that 140$ chip too good ? Pay half and get 90% of the performance is still a damn good deal. Need a little bashing and fake power consumption numbers ?

Offtopic but AMD plans 95W 3G Deneb for Q3, sounds like a new stepping and it's also about the time the G2 Brisbanes rolled out. Fingers crossed.

Last edited:
Looks like these guys need to read my guide in order to get their CPU to OC on a 64bit Vista system :D

I am not to surprised to see 3.8ghz on Stock voltages. After seeing what the 720BE do on a AM3 system this seems to be in line with what was suppose to happen.

Looks like these guys need to read my guide in order to get their CPU to OC on a 64bit Vista system :D

I am not to surprised to see 3.8ghz on Stock voltages. After seeing what the 720BE do on a AM3 system this seems to be in line with what was suppose to happen.

LOL :santa:
Maybe yeah Mr Dolk. They should reach at least 4GHz with 955.
Or maybe 955 is just pre-overclocked 940 with Socket AM3?
Don't take it seriously :D
Too dumb it that were true.

Last edited:
Just Tom's typical BS, clock the X3 720 to the same clocks as the X4 955 and see what the difference is. They are the same stepping and revision so there isn't any difference other than the number of cores and clocks.

I don't have one I wait for the next stepping, but why woouldn't the mobo work well with the 955 ?
I like that I could run like 1V 2.5G and when I load some predefined apps it would automatically crank up the clocks, that's why I consider an SB750 mobo.

That was the requirement when it launched, whether it is needed with the 45nm cpus or not I don't know, will check it out, did not think about that it changed.

To my surprise even SilentPCreview tried this cpu and they have the most interesting bit of info about this cpu. 1.225V was enough to run it on stock 3.2G. Now that got my attention. ;) LINK

No, according to my research they would have the same wall. 30-40% increase is where you start to see a heat wall with air and water coolers. But now that its wall exceeds 4.0ghz, it will not be able to reach its wall in 64bit OS.

But this is all hypothetical but so far my assumptions have not let me down with the other Phenom IIs.

That's something I've been watching for. I like to run my home CPUs usually at 2.5GHz so try and go for the lowest power requiring chip, albeit I won't pay for the E models but hunt for a standard model which undervolts well. Both my 9850BE did 1.05v 2.5G but even that was too much power for me to settle with. With these CPUs ranging from 60-125W, maybe there's hope the X4 805 will UV decently at stock speeds and release in retail. I'd like to get it down to 45W max and idling at 4-8W.

The icing on the cake for me is actually AOD 3.0, individual core clocking and the custom profiles.

That said, the 955BE SPCR tested looks like an absolute powerhog.

QuietIce, you can run AOD 3.0 with 780G/SB700 and a K8 65nm like I'm doing. ;)
The only major error I have so far is the custom profiles aren't working, at all.

Back