• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

NEW TO WATERCOOLING NEED HELP

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

kcasey1000

Registered
im going to buy an evga classified x58 and a i7 920 d0 cpu with my gtx 280 in my tj10

im going to get a watercooling setup but want to make sure i purchase the right rig

first im going to cool my cpu and gpu with

CPU BLOCK - HeatKiller CPU LGA1366 Rev. 3.0 LT

wchklt.jpg

GPU BLOCK - EK-FC280 GTX SLI

EK-FC280-Acetal.jpg

RAD - Swiftech MCR320-QP-K

d_2720.jpg

PUMP - Swiftech MCP655

mcp655.jpg

will this be ok or should i change something in my rig

I don't know about the CPU waterblock... very wary of blocks that I've never heard of before...

Yes the rad is fine, but your cutting it close on the heatload. If your a uber overclocker your CPU temps can be a bit high. Lots of i7/GPu loops are looking at a total rad size of 120x4. So two MCR 220's in series would be better.

Rain, that block is the current best on the market.

I don't know about the CPU waterblock... very wary of blocks that I've never heard of before...

That CPU block is excellent, in tests it outperforms the Swiftech GTZ and Fuzion2 by a fairly good margin, while also not being super restrictive. If I had known how good it was when I was putting my loop together, I would have bought it instead of the GTZ.

Also, OP, don't forget to get a reservoir.

Conumdrum - the Heatkiller block is actually outperformed by at least the Koolance 350 and possibly the EK Supreme blocks but they're both incredibly restrictive and you need a super strong pump and that block to be the only one in the loop to get the performance out of them. Just thought I'd point that out.

Where can you get this cpu block at? Just doing a quick google search while im in the library (will look harder when I get home) did not pop up any stores that I recognized. Although I did find out that the CPU Rev3.0 1366 LT is ~$50 while the CPU Rev3.0 1366 (No LT) is ~$85. Whats the difference lol?

lt has a plastic top and the non lt has a copper top. it performs about .5C better then the lt version

both can be found at sidewinders computers, if they have stock.

I think the 120x3 rad will be enough. Of course a quad or a pair of 120x2 in series would be better, but in this case I don't believe it would make a huge difference.

I suppose. The fans used on the radiators would play a big factor as well. Either way, acceptable temps can easily be had with a 120.3, even if both the CPU and GPU are overclocked.

i also thought i should add that the EVGA X58 Classified runs EXTREMELY HOT. From some reviews it went up to 90C after just 30 minutes of being on.

i also thought i should add that the EVGA X58 Classified runs EXTREMELY HOT. From some reviews it went up to 90C after just 30 minutes of being on.

I have heard this to. would this set up without cooling the gpu but instead cooling the mobo work? Or would a bigger radiator be needed?

Back