• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Using PSU`s in different countries?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

BobbyBubblehead

Im on UK 240V 50Hz AC
Any pointers for using a 700W PSU in a country that runs 220V
Should I swap out... flying blind please shout out if you know anthing about these things :)

May also not be the most stable supply... so is a UPS a good thing or a must?

What PSU do you have now? Corsair PSUs have auto-switch for 120/220. Others have a manual switch on the back. It would depend on whether you have a PSU with a built-in switch or not.

Its a jeantech with no switch visable and the country in question is 220V im on 240V
whats the effect of the 20V shortfall.... still in tolerance for operation?

have you checked the specs? some psu's list a range for AC voltage they will run on. those without switches for say 120 to 240, normally list 120v-240v as a input voltage.

expect I do have a manual somewhere #Laughs#
no idea where.

It will work because UK voltage swings a few times threw the day so its not an exact science as such, theres always enough current at whatever voltage for the PSU to perform, Just need new plugs I suppose.

nominal figures is how to look at the difference from one country to another, sure if I bought the PSU there it would be exactly the same only with a different power cord.

having the house wired with UK sockets would just be so much easier and cheaper than changing everything else #Chuckles#

Last edited:
If the PSU has activePFC it should auto-sense a voltage from 90-260v, around that voltage anyway.

Your power supply will be fine anywhere other than the Congo. The manufacturers pump out one supply for the whole world. They don't have a UK version, a US version, a Spain version, and an Argentina version. As long as input voltage doesn't oscillate or wander like crazy and stays within 20% of either the 110v or 220v it will be A OK, I guarantee it.

Back