• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

AMD Akiba Demo 955 Istanbul Netbook Opencl VGAs

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Kuroimaho

AMD held a demo in Akihabara again. Link

They start it with showing the improvements of the 955 over the 940, not just in performance but in power saving with lower P states.
For example the 955 with 4890 idles lower than the 940 with 4870, and you can see smart profiles at work in overdrive 3.0

swam2.jpg

Next comes a mobile processor roadmap and a demo of an Athlon Neo MV-40 playing blueray content with 70% cpu load.

The now so hyped physics followed it with opencl and havocs demo.

We got a dieshot of an instabul. (Kuma means bear in Japanese hence the little bear in the AMD logo.)

swaq1.jpg

An overclock demo, there will be competitions both offline and online this month.

Finished off with a performance scaling demo of the silkypics photo developer studio.

MV-40 was a single core?
not sure if you saw this thread i started... didnt think yours at the time had any neo info.... 70% cpu load, i take it the demo unit did have a ATI gpu in it?

Well that was like talking to myself actually, I checked their netbook roadmap to see the cpu and saw the 8w Sempron 200U and I remembered HKepc had one in AM2 packaging.

You mean, AMD is actually trying to make a competitive laptop cpu :eek:. I love AMD, but when I had to get my new laptop about a month ago, I had to buy intel. This would be great if they can do this.

well it looks like it but they are using older designs to do it, it seems. i cant see it being to good compared to atom at power/TDP watt. check out this review of atom+nv9300g in netbook form, direct rival to what kurio post about neo.
http://www.techreport.com/articles.x/15940
Fortunately, the N10J's actual video playback performance was more impressive. Using the latest version of PowerDVD 8 with PureVideo acceleration enabled and the N10J's HDMI output, I managed to get Microsoft's 1080p, VC-1-encoded Coral Reef Adventure playing back smoothly with about 60% CPU utilization. A 1080p MPEG2 clip from one of my own movies played back with only about 25% CPU utilization. H.264 proved more demanding, with a 1080p trailer for The Bourne Ultimatum spiking CPU utilization at 85%, although the clip still played back stutter-free. Curious to see whether the Intel integrated graphics would fare much worse, I tested the same videos on both the GeForce and the GMA 950, swapping HDMI output for the N10J's own display. Surprisingly, there was little difference in playback performance between the two graphics options. The GMA's CPU utilization was about 5% higher with my MPEG2 clip, but otherwise CPU utilization was unchanged from the previous round of testing. There was also no difference in CPU utilization between the GeForce and GMA when playing back standard-definition DivX content, which pegged the CPU at roughly 15%.
it is relevant since they above posted numbers show 70% cpu usage...

If you use phenommsrtweaker or K10Stat (which works for me on vista 64, but manual changes in state only with oc'ing), you can make the 940 run at the same voltages (and thus wattage) as the 955 p-states. Less even.

My 940be can do 800mhz on 0.8v. Haven't tried lower yet, but I currently have it at .844v to be safe. The stock p state is 1.0v@800, 955 I would guess is .9-.95

Intel has won the Lithography CPU race, AMD is never catching up. They can still be competative though, like we see here.

The race will start over when nanotechnology is needed to go below 22nm and optical processing starts taking off and they start putting EVERYTHING onto the cpu.

I am still quite amazed how much AMD can squeeze out of the same revision by tweaking process. If I recall correctly, the 955 uses the same stepping as 940. It is quite interesting how AMD and Intel approaches the problem. Typically, you would see a new stepping from Intel for a new lower power edition. With AMD, you often get a process tweaked. This goes to show that Dresden plant is really run by their German heritage. While Intel makes stuff like a massive assembly line, the Dresden plant runs like an artist shop. Want one with a slightly variations, no problem just let me tweak a few nobs here and there. I personally perfer Intel method since this is reproducable across more than one site. I do awe and amazed at AMD's ability to tweaks things around. Let us just hope they can continue to do so now that Dresden belongs to Global Foundry.

AMD has had mistakes, but as you say continue to be impressive. And their Phenom 2 AM2 timing was perfect, its great that they got the ddr2 phenom 2's out when they did. They tapped into a lot of people looking to upgrade on a budget without having to lay out the cash for an i7 setup.

Frankly with CPU speeds as fast as they are, its okay to have a chip that is not the fastest but dominates at price/performance. The only thing most of us do that really requires a super powerful cpu is gaming, and on most systems the vid card is the bottleneck for high res graphics.
P2 even has a small victory in that it tends to have the highest min framerates even though i7 always gets max. One could argue the former is actually more useful =)

Intel has won the Lithography CPU race, AMD is never catching up. They can still be competative though, like we see here.

The race will start over when nanotechnology is needed to go below 22nm and optical processing starts taking off and they start putting EVERYTHING onto the cpu.

You can keep your nehalem, I'd rather stick with AMD and not support apartheid.

Back