• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

SETI farms should be illegal

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

DeltaSierra

Only because I'm so jealous of guys like TC, Rogerdugans and Godfodda who are crunching anywhere from 5 to 10 times more WUs *per day* than I can with my two machines! When I, eventually, get bumped out of the top 50, I think I'll take my WUs and go home (just kidding). Keep crunching and I'll keep (reluctantly) eating your dust.

Last edited:
I'm getting used to eating dust :) and I'm beggining to like it. I have now a spoon right behind me so that when noones is passing me by I just grab a spoonfull of dirt a shove it down my throat......

The people that have the resources/time/energy to have a farm should have one, as the more WU we all produce, the sooner we'll be in the top 25 teams of the world.

farms are good and they keep things interesting

So far it consists of

P3 1100E@1308
P3 500@500 (Katami)
Celeron 500@600
Athlon 1000@1000 (at work)

getting about 12 WU's per day

DeltaSierra said:
Only because I'm so jealous of guys like TC, Rogerdugans and Godfodda who are crunching anywhere from 5 to 10 times more WUs *per day* than I can with my two machines! When I, eventually, get bumped out of the top 50, I think I'll take my WUs and go home (just kidding). Keep crunching and I'll keep (reluctantly) eating your dust.

You are just jealous...I am sitting in a room with about 100 P4's @ 1700MHz. :beer:

Personally, I think blow dryers should be illegal- I have one that keeps shutting down my "cellar-net"!

Guess I need to grab a new breaker and run some wire.....

(I think there should be at least two blank lines between TC and me- he is right out of my league!)

Yodums said:
Bah how do you feel about my 2 WU's a day from this machine!

Yodums
Or MY one WU per day?? Wait... I got a friend with a P4 crunching for me too... Well, I just got a franchise of potted plants :D

Just remeber.... There's always a slower cruncher than yours....

...though, I still have to find this mystical person who's slower than me... He has to be here SOMEWHERE!! :rolleyes: :D :D

JigPu

Don't let my wife hear you all talking like this...she may get the crazy idea that I don't "need" 10 machines around the house! At least my work machines would still be OK. ;)

Cy

Ya but then you say... "All machines are working, < START The crazy acting> THEY ARE ALL CRUNCHING SETI" then your wife will backup slowly and get you something to cool off :D

haha

Yodums

JigPu said:

Or MY one WU per day?? Wait... I got a friend with a P4 crunching for me too... Well, I just got a franchise of potted plants :D

Just remeber.... There's always a slower cruncher than yours....

...though, I still have to find this mystical person who's slower than me... He has to be here SOMEWHERE!! :rolleyes: :D :D

JigPu

I haerd about a guy who was crunching on a 486 with floppy swapping...had about 1 WU every 2.5 days

not in this forum tho'

deez said:

I haerd about a guy who was crunching on a 486 with floppy swapping...had about 1 WU every 2.5 days

not in this forum tho'

That's gotta be one helluva 486 I did some rough numbers in my head and concluded my 6x86 @ 133mhz would take that long, or longer.

P166MMX runs about 40-48 hrs depending on mobo chipset... I have benchmarked many of these with 64 & 32 Mb of RAM...

I dunno about that 486, but it sounds like something may be awry... ;)

maybe it was longer than that...or it could have been a P100

*scratch scratch* cant really remember...maybe I can dig up the article

Deez...

I got it... the 486 probably used SETI client v1.0 or v2.0... they were MUCH faster... and my benchies were last spring using v3.03...

I would belive 2.5 days on the earlier client... my P3-650 chewed up WUs@about 5.5-6.5 hours on V2.1...

Morpheus said:
Deez...

I got it... the 486 probably used SETI client v1.0 or v2.0... they were MUCH faster... and my benchies were last spring using v3.03...

I would belive 2.5 days on the earlier client... my P3-650 chewed up WUs@about 5.5-6.5 hours on V2.1...

I assume the new(ish) client is slower because it's more effective instead of just being slower, yes/no??

eobard said:

I assume the new(ish) client is slower because it's more effective instead of just being slower, yes/no??
In a nutshell yes - it adds a few more tests I believe.

Back