• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Mounting PSU in Antec 1200

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

ArcturusVi

I went ahead and purchased a 1200 for ease of upgrading, and to me it is much better looking with the full black chassis. I notice the PSU spot has about 1/4" feet that the PSU sits on.

I don't have any equipment yet to really push my TX750, as it is running equipment an old 550 did fine under load.

Would mounting the PSU with the fan pulling air from the bottom be okay for airflow? I felt the air behind the PSU in both orients, and it didn't feel like less air was moving. I am just curious if it would be safe for the load of a quad core, RAID Raptors, and a GTX275. Minimal overclocking.

I don't have hands-on experience with the 1200, but it looks kind of like my P182 in the PSU area. My case is designed for the PSU to be mounted just like you're describing, pulling the air from underneath.

I have a 1200 and it would be tight... If I were you and decided to go that route I would also cut a hole directly under it to pull in some air from under the case as well seeing it's lifted about 1/4". You wouldn't be able to see the cut at all and it would provide more air to the PSU.

I went ahead and purchased a 1200 for ease of upgrading, and to me it is much better looking with the full black chassis. I notice the PSU spot has about 1/4" feet that the PSU sits on.

I don't have any equipment yet to really push my TX750, as it is running equipment an old 550 did fine under load.

Would mounting the PSU with the fan pulling air from the bottom be okay for airflow? I felt the air behind the PSU in both orients, and it didn't feel like less air was moving. I am just curious if it would be safe for the load of a quad core, RAID Raptors, and a GTX275. Minimal overclocking.
:welcome:

i'd say cut a hole at the bottom of the case if you wish. if you find no need to, just leave it.

also, if you go to Lans etc, i'd definitely get a fan grill/filter over the hole. mainly becuase you never know how dirty/dusty your friend's floors are.
i went to a LAN last weekend and next morning, i had a cm of dust over my fans. literally - it was disgusting.

If you didnt want to cut a hole and were worried about airflow, you could mount the PSU upsidedown. You would be pulling air from inside the case through the PSU, but that is no different than cases that top-mount the PSU.

Just make sure you have some distance between your 275 and the top of you PSU so you dont suck in hot air. Also, it may affect cable management too with the cables coming out of the other side, but possibly worth consideration.

Last edited:
If you didnt want to cut a hole and were worried about airflow, you could mount the PSU upsidedown. You would be pulling air from inside the case through the PSU, but that is no different than cases that top-mount the PSU.

Just make sure you have some distance between your 275 and the top of you PSU so you dont suck in hot air. Also, it may affect cable management too with the cables coming out of the other side, but possibly worth consideration.

since hot air tend to rise, the hottest air that would be pull toward the psu would just be warm, and by the time it gets to the psu, it became room temperature already

do only a few cases come with bottom mounted PSUs or something :shrug:
so many ppl asking whether having the fan face up when the PSU is mounted on the bottom of the case...

i have an Antec 900 and my PSU is mounted "upside down"
there's nothing wrong with it.
and woudln't the OP's GTX275 exhaust air out the back - dual slot cooler?

there's absolutely no problem about mounting a PSU fan facing up :)

The fan is facing up currently, and I'm not worried about hot air blowing into it. Side window fan, and plenty of intakes bringing in cold air. I just am debating mounting so the fan is on the bottom, with about 1/4" clearance from the bottom. I am not sure how this would work under the load of...

GTX275 FTW, Q9400, 2x Raptors and regular SATA, soundcard

Back