• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

scan disc ad infinitum winXP

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

mrgreenjeans

Woke up this morning to my main computer cycling through scan disc, first D drive then C drive. windows starts to boot, boot screen comes up, then crash back to bios boot. I let scan disc do it thing and it deleted several files on the C drive.

if i choose 'last known good configuration' i get an error saying "windows root> system 32\hal.dll missing. reinstall the file" and try again.

I tried using the repair function on the windows install disc and I became concerned firstly, when it didn't see the earlier install, and then secondly, when it listed both discs as unused, full volume available. I know d drive has at least 3/4 of its capacity used and c drive had at least 50-60 g of applications installed.

I'm thinking the drive controllers are going. this is an older build, Asus P4c800e and I'm thinking the drive controllers are going out. before i start installing windows and comprising my files, I'd like to hear any suggestions or ideas. this install was set up less then 4 months ago after a similar issue where the main drive 'appeared' to fail, which i replaced. I really don't want to wate any more time on erratic hardware.

ideas? suggestions? trouble shooting ideas?

Thanks!

so both my drives just gave it up. one less than 4 months old, after the previous boot drive mysteriously expired? The board's probably what 5-6 years old now?

Back