• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

How-to: Linux Gaming Explained

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
Thanks I.M.O.G. Seems that did the trick. Now all I need to do is fix this issue I have with my graphics card and then I should be ready to play games.

I've bumped into a problem and I am not sure what the next step is. I have attempted to replace the dll with one from windows xp. But outside of that I am stumped.

Code:
wine: Call from 0x7bc48780 to unimplemented function GDI32.dll.GdiEntry1, aborting
the unimplemented function would indicate to me that the game I am trying to run (The Sims2) won't work.

Yes I have tried the winedb and it is rated as garbage but I was hoping to pick away at this anyways. Wondering if I could get pointed in the right direction

Ya I came across the D3D thing before. I had fiddled with them. I tried removing them only to get the following error

D3DERR_INVALIDCALL!

I had tried a few things before with this message. Windows versions etc dont change it. If I change the D3D to native it gets past this error and gives me the Unimplemented Function error

Still working on it when I have free time. If I find a solution I will post back

do i need an nvidia graphics card to run games on jaunty ?

i only have a 4870 ati graphics card .

No you need the ATI fglrx drivers which you can install as restricted drivers from ubuntu repositories

https://help.ubuntu.com/community/RestrictedDrivers

You can check if they are installed with "glxinfo | grep -i direct" in a terminal

oenone@oenone-desktop:~$ glxinfo | grep -i direct
direct rendering: Yes
oenone@oenone-desktop:~$

this is the result

what do i do now ???

btw this is my 1st time to use ubuntu jaunty 9.04 32bit

so i really have zero knowledge , im hoping to learn from you guys and that you will guide me every step of the way

thanks

Well you have direct rendering enabled, so you should be able to go forward with the instructions posted above if you'd like to try running a game - your machine is ready in respect to video drivers. Try it out and let us know if you have questions.

You can add Warcraft 3 to that list. I just finished installing everything and it works PERFECTLY! right out of the box =-D....sort of =)

However instead of following the last step exactly I just did "sh winetricks" then selected them, and some others, from the list that came up.

I ended up needing to go into c:\windows\system32 and removing a .dll that wasn't compatible with win32.

I've not been able to use that one. Although i'm sure it has something to do with the fact that I'm on 64 bit. 173 will work, 180 wont. Though that seems wrong to me.

I haven't had a problem with the 18X series drivers

I use Gentoo and ATI :) Plain old wine (not Crapedega) works great for all Source games, and several non-source games.

King Tut! Thanks Caedis. I'm installing winetricks right now, and the following error is popping up again & again. Is it a cause for concern?

"Error: MSVCRT.DLL is not compatible with Win32s."

Also, will this allow The Sims to run? I have a friend who let me install Ubuntu on her laptop and she likes the game. Just curious.

If you just type

Code:
 sh winetricks
you'll get a long list of everything you can install. There is one that installs MSVCRT.DLL and another that installs Win32 I don't remember which does which. Id look it up but I'm typing this on my G1 phone.

To resolve this issue you'll need to go to wine and get to C:/Windows/system32 and search for MSVCRT.DLL and delete it.
What I did was go through sh winetricks and install the listed ones, and a few others one at a time.

If this doesn't fix the problem open synaptic and uninstall wine completely, then rm -r your wine folder and start over.

Good luck.

Good call Methal. Sorry about not replying in a timely manner Specific. In the process of switching contracts at work, hectic time for me and the family.

Yes, I didn't add the direct "sh winetricks" execution behavior so people wouldn't get bewildered with all the options. But yes, a good way to do it if you just want to run one or two things once.

- Caedis
Posted from my Blackberry

I've bumped into a problem and I am not sure what the next step is. I have attempted to replace the dll with one from windows xp. But outside of that I am stumped.

Code:
wine: Call from 0x7bc48780 to unimplemented function GDI32.dll.GdiEntry1, aborting
the unimplemented function would indicate to me that the game I am trying to run (The Sims2) won't work.

Yes I have tried the winedb and it is rated as garbage but I was hoping to pick away at this anyways. Wondering if I could get pointed in the right direction

What version of wine are you running?

I was having an exorbitant amount of regressions with 1.1.23

Also, what gpu/gpu drivers do you have?

Non-nvidia cards will make things harder for you.

I just ask all this because it's good to have a solid system before trying something as advanced as DLL replacement. You might want to back up your wine dll's directory while your system is running smooth. First step in debug is variable minimization.

- Caedis

What version of wine are you running?

I was having an exorbitant amount of regressions with 1.1.23

Also, what gpu/gpu drivers do you have?

Non-nvidia cards will make things harder for you.

I just ask all this because it's good to have a solid system before trying something as advanced as DLL replacement. You might want to back up your wine dll's directory while your system is running smooth. First step in debug is variable minimization.

- Caedis

I have tried several versions of wine including the plain old ubuntu repository one.

I am using the drivers from the Nvidia website 180.xx series (dont recall off the top of my head.

System specs

Core Duo 1.86 ghz
7900GS
4 gigs of ram
160 hd.
Linux Mint 7 up to date (2.6.28.11 kernel)

Ok, good. At least your on the right track. As for the rest, well... The sims series has never played nice with wine in andy form. I know it makes me sad too. But keep trying, anything you find will be valuable to the entire Linux community as a whole. Just be sure to post your findings on the Wine App DB as well.

And kudos for working at it. Most people just get frustrated and give up. (Which is why most people use M$)

- Caedis

Back