• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

How-to: Linux Gaming Explained

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
maybe you can help me out guys. I have a game that runs great in wine except for a keyboard issue. I have one game that uses WASD, and when i strafe to the left or right (A and D) it interprets me holding down the keys as being equivalent to a double tap. For example, if I was have this issue in UT2003 instead of moving to the left or right by pressing A and D I would instead be hopping in those directions. Is there somewhere I can play with keyboard mapping in wine, or "macros" or something? Thanks.

Alright, so I'm installing this and this is an error I'm getting
fixme:actctx:parse_depend_manifests Could not find dependent assembly L"Microsoft.Windows.Common-Controls"
fixme:actctx:parse_depend_manifests Could not find dependent assembly L"Microsoft.Windows.Common-Controls"
fixme:reg:GetNativeSystemInfo (0x33fea0) using GetSystemInfo()

This is the error is: This program requires Windows version 4.0 or later.

Any way to fix this

when installing the winetricks programs I got an error installing OLE 2.03 is there a way to fix this?

always be as descriptive as possible when reporting errors and asking for help. Generally no one would respond to a quarry like this because you gave us nothing to go on at all...

i.e. copy and paste the error and format it in the code block
what is your OS?
what version of wine

that sort of thing. That is what is required to help you

What kind of performance are you guys getting in Source games?

I've only tried Day of Defeat as of now, but the performance is very sketchy. With most settings on low and running in DX8, I only manage to get like 40 fps on average. System's in my sig, running Ubuntu 9.04 x64.

dan

Hey guys. I read the post for the Wine configuration and did everything for it. I installed Fallout 3 onto Ubuntu 9.04 via Wine but I am unable to play it! Any ideas? Thank you!

Hey guys. I read the post for the Wine configuration and did everything for it. I installed Fallout 3 onto Ubuntu 9.04 via Wine but I am unable to play it! Any ideas? Thank you!

always be as descriptive as possible when reporting errors and asking for help. Generally no one would respond to a quarry like this because you gave us nothing to go on at all...

i.e. copy and paste the error and format it in the code block
what version of wine
does the game launch at all?

that sort of thing. That is what is required to help you

Sorry guys. It's the most recent version of Wine that I'm aware of, how can I check? When I try launching Fallout 3, it shows a tab saying, "Fallout 3" but then it disappears and nothing happens, no errors no nothing :(. I have the most recent driver version of ATi drivers and Catalyst for Linux.

My dream is to run BF2 under Wine, but it appears to have really messy shader coding, so you'll end up without ground textures, etc.

Also, I don't think PB works under wine either.

Sorry guys. It's the most recent version of Wine that I'm aware of, how can I check? When I try launching Fallout 3, it shows a tab saying, "Fallout 3" but then it disappears and nothing happens, no errors no nothing :(. I have the most recent driver version of ATi drivers and Catalyst for Linux.

to check your version of wine type

Code:
wine --version

Try running the wine cfg (its in your menu). Click Add Application and browse to wherever you installed the game (typically /home/$USER/.wine/drive_c/Program\ Files/<Fallout_dir>

After you have added it (you should see it in a list) change the Windows Version (at the bottom of the same tab) to Windows XP.

Finally under the graphics tab, click "emulate desktop" and pick a resolution that is less then what your screen is running at (this will help us test whether the game will run at all)

As an aside, and this is not an endorsement for piracy, sometimes some games need a non-cd/dvd patch in order to work well with wine (i.e. my fiance's copy of the sims 3)

PB doesn't work well at all:
http://appdb.winehq.org/objectManager.php?sClass=version&iId=5813

@Babyeater: You should run the app with wine from the command line. It's relatively simple, and someone who has used wine more extensively will hopefully pipe up - it's also in the Wine documentation if you don't want to wait for an answer. This will allow you to see error output at the command line.

To run a game from the command line it is simply the following

wine <path_to_exe>

so if I was to run my copy of Colonization

Code:
wine /home/leoniteous/.wine/drive_c/Program\ Files/Sid/Colonization/colonization.exe

this spits garble into the terminal that we can use to help diagnose problems

UPDATE for the lastest ubuntu/mint

The repository has changed. Instead of adding the long line deb http://wine.budgetdedicated.com/apt jaunty main #WineHQ - Ubuntu 9.04 "Jaunty Jackalope" you will add just "ppa:ubuntu-wine/ppa"

Then import the key from scott.

Well lets see what games that I play consistantly are approved on AppsDB:

Approved:
-SupCom/FA
-Steam
-AvP 2010 (Bronze, guess this means "meh" ?)
-Tropico 3 (The previous releases are Garbage, apparently its "Gold" on Arch and Gentoo but not Ubuntu)
-Killing Floor (Silver, guess 'cuz its UT2004 engine hehe)
-Left4Dead
-Left4Dead2
-Dawn of War: SS
-EVE Online (Duh)
-Crysis (Although its Bronze, not that I really care about this game)
-DoD:Source
-Counter-Strike: Source (Bronze again ... how bad is a Bronze rating?)
-The Witcher (Silver - yay :) )
-Empire Earth w/ AOC (Silver again, sweet)
-Warcraft 3 (Gotta love the classics @ Platinum)

Not approved (Garbage):
-Dawn of War 2

All in all this seems very interesting. I tried messing around with Fedora several months ago and couldn't even get STEAM to run stable (I'm sure this was a user error)

Now the question begs that if I were to jump into gaming on Linux, what Distro to grab besides Ubuntu?

Silver will be pretty good, with annoyances. Bronze will likely be very poor play quality.

Ubuntu is probably best for someone new to linux. Arch is great, but you'll have to make a lot of choices and you don't start out with a GUI. Making those choices are easier if you're already familiar with what you like and don't like about a linux environment.

related to linux and gaming but not wine is DJL
I have been playing around with this for a couple of days and it works pretty darn good. 121 games supported right now people should take a peek at it

related to linux and gaming but not wine is DJL
I have been playing around with this for a couple of days and it works pretty darn good. 121 games supported right now people should take a peek at it

Sorry but I'm a bit confused. I looked at the list of games on repository and it doesn't have any game thats been released after 2003.

If the game in question (Like mine listed above) are not included in the Repository, does this mean they simply will not work, or that DJL will try its damndest to install it?

-Thanks

Except that there hasn't been anything new from DJL, or an update since last year....actually there hasn't been much new in this thread in a while too.

bummer =(

Last edited:
Back