• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

How-to: Linux Gaming Explained

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
If I get some time this weekend I will take a look at the scripts and do some re-writes if necessary

thankyou... i'm really a Linux noob, and i'm in the middle of doing something in linux and don't really wanna stuff that up by my lack of knowledge... If I wasn't doing anything in Ubuntu 10.10, i'd have a crack at it. do you think it would matter what version of Ubuntu (or any linux distro for that matter) i'm (or others) are using?

I doubt it, but until I eyeball the script I wouldn't know for sure.

Sometimes package names change and that could allow the script to not work but thats usually about it. From my recollection his script just downloads a bunch of packages related to wine and some things you need (i.e. DX) to play games

I recently purchased parts to build a new pc that I had planned on installing Win7 on so I could play my blizzard games and do anything else I haven't figured out how to do in linux. Well my source for a cheap Win7 purchase may not be available so I'll list my parts and see what your opinions are:
Asrock Z77 Extreme4
I5 3570k
Gigabyte Radeon HD 7750 GV-R7750C-2GI
I'm not sure if any of the hardware matters as far as linux and drivers are concerned.

I saw what the OP said about ATI cards and drivers for Linux. Is that still a problem?
I'm just trying to think of options. Any help is appreciated.

BTW my current preferred linux setup right now is ubuntu with LXDE desktop.

Edit: If this post is better served in another part of the forums pm me with which one and I'll move it.

Last edited:
I know that Nvidia is now officially working with Valve for the cause of Linux drivers. To date I've heard of nothing from ATI.

Interestingly enough OpenGL runs a heckuva lot faster than DirectX on Nvidia cards. I have an ATI APU Laptop with ZorinOS on it if you have any game requests for me to try for you.

I know that Nvidia is now officially working with Valve for the cause of Linux drivers. To date I've heard of nothing from ATI.

Interestingly enough OpenGL runs a heckuva lot faster than DirectX on Nvidia cards. I have an ATI APU Laptop with ZorinOS on it if you have any game requests for me to try for you.
The one I play the most is World of Warcraft. If that works the rest would be fine I think. I installed Lubuntu over the weekend. I'm not getting any sound right now so I have to figure that out.

Really? I haven't had any problems getting sound out of Realtek or even Creative chips..

What kind of Rig you got it on??

Really? I haven't had any problems getting sound out of Realtek or even Creative chips..

What kind of Rig you got it on??
Well good news I was able to get win7 installed. A friend from work helped me out and gave me software he hadn't used since he ended up buying a mac. I have an Asrock Z77 Extreme4 system board. I was booting to 2 different flash drives, one with Lubuntu and the other Overclockix. Most likely the lack of sound was my ignorance.
Now that I have Windows running I have to decide on a linux flavor so I can setup up dual boot. I'm gonna setup virtualbox and try some different flavors.

Just read this article. Sounds fascinating. As long as you got a good CPU, a lot of RAM and 2 GPUs you can play all games without compatibily issues and performance hit like in Wine.
http://rafalcieslak.wordpress.com/2...ics-performance-in-a-vm-with-vga-passthrough/
Now I wonder if dual socket mobo would benefit from this? Could you allocate 1 CPU for Host OS(Linux) and the other for Guest OS(Windose)
I can only find mobos that support Xeons but no i7s.
Then I also wonder if AMD FX8/9 would help with 8 cores in this scenario.
It all sounds so cool to me :D

Back