• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

setting ram timings on dfi 79fxb-m2rsh

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

dark bishop

i cant figure out setting the ram timings on dfi 79fxb-m2rsh, help please.

its ocz fatal1ty 2x2gb 1066 ddr2 ram, timings are supposed to be 6-7-7-20, right now its at 5-5-5-15.

im a complete newb to memory overclocking.

Same motherboard here - are you currently running the RAM speed at 800 or 1066? Sounds like the default timings for that memory at 800. As you noted, it's 6-7-7-20 is likely the rated speed at 1066.

The memory timings are taken care of on a separate page in the BIOS - you have to set the memory timings to full manual, there's a switch for this somewhere, but I can't tell you where it is since I'm not on my home PC...

Can you take pics of the bios screens to show us what the options are and what your current settings are? Does sound like you are running it in DDR2 800 mode. Most motherboards will default to that and to run the ram at higher, mfg. spec speeds you have to manually set the parameters? Is there a choice in your bios labled SPD? If there is and you activate it then the bios will switch over to the native performance ratings of your ram as advertised instead of default settings.

Last edited:
ASUS had that odd timing order on the A8N32 as well. The motherboard sequence is:
CAS,
tRAS,
tRP (RAS Precharge),
tRCD (RAS CAS Delay).

Hit enter at the MCT Memory Timing and set to [Both] for both pairs of sockets.
The correct timing using the stock settings you gave will be 6-20-7-7.
You can leave the rest on [Auto].

That timing order was really confusing for me as well when I first started OC'ing but you get used to it as you play with it more ... :)

Last edited:
my advice would be to try to run it at cas 5 800 mhz which might be better then cas 6 1066 mhz ( not sure ) , either way that memory sucks , try overclocking it a bit by upping the voltage most ddr2 wont like more then 2.2 v but it differs ,then tighten up the timings to you boards maximum available , afterward run memtest for about 24 hours

have some active cooling over your memory if u raise your stock voltage

it goes up to 18 on tRAS, and 6 on tRP/tRCD.
Try just setting the CAS 6, leave the rest on [Auto], and see what BIOS does with it.

Does CPU-Z happen to list any other timings/speeds under the Memory tab? Often 1066 RAM has alternative 800 settings listed.

IIRC, my 2x2Gb OCZ's were timed 5-6-6-18(?) - not sure about the last one ...

Last edited:
Oh it is there. It was hiding off-screen. :)
(I run IE and e-mail side-by-side)

Given that I'd drop back to 800 MHz @ (uh) 5-15-5-5 like it says but use at least 1.9v with them. Not as fast as 1066 at stock speeds but that's what we're trying to change anyway ... :)

Grab the latest version of cpu_z and do some more screenies. If I were you, I'd drop the tRC to 20 and continue running them at 800Mhz. Other alternative is to flash the bios. Which bios version are you running?

im running the latest bios. i tried 6-5-5-18 (6-18-5-5 on this board) and its still not 1066.

if these dont run 1066 ill return them and get some ddr2 800 and put the money towards something else.

that statement is a bit confusing.. "and its still not 1066" changing the timings wont change the speed? :confused:

unless you meant "it still wont run 1066".. you do have to tell it to.. 1066 is not JEDC (orwuteva that acronym is) standard.

Back