• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Win7 RC / DirectX

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Firestrider

Does Windows 7 RC (build 7100) 64-bit come with DirectX 10/10.1 and all the latest releases already installed, or do you have to download this to get it?

Last edited:
I'm not sure, i think up to 9.0c all the previously required dx versions could be handled by that. I think with 10 they started from scratch so it might not cover the older requirements. Not sure if you can have both installed. You can always try a game and if it doesn't work then install 9 and see if it meshes, or you can wait for someone that knows the answer.

In addition to DX11, Win7 already comes w/ DX9.0L (L for Longhorn, and specific to Win7 / Vista for compatibility w/ older games) installed.

DirectX was designed to be backwards compatible, and if thats still true
with DX10+, you do not need to install anything else.

Before loading a video driver from nvidia (only had windows update do it temporarily) I was getting an error when running a physx screensaver, looking for D3D9.....

what i did was installed everything that i needed games etc and downloaded directx_mar2009_redist from ms site and installed it

Then when I try to run COD 4 or COD 5 it says DX9 dlls are missing?:confused:

Yeah, same problem I was getting when trying to run Ungine Tropics benchmark. I guess the OS doesn't come preinstalled with some DX .dlls. I used that download I posted in OP and it works.

Back