• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

i7 and 2x 4890 xfire wc

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
Glad I could start a fight over fans. So after more reading, researching, and deciding what was worth my money heres what ive got.

Loop 1

Swiftech MCR320 Radiator (With Radbox, 3x Scythe S-Flex, and shroud)
Swiftech MCP 355 12v DC Pump with XSPC res top
Swiftech Apogee GTZ Extreme Performance CPU Waterblock w/ 1366 bracket

Loop 2

Swiftech MCR320 Radiator (3x Scythe S-Flex and shroud)
Swiftech MCP 355 12v DC Pump with XSPC res top
2x XSPC Razor 4890

Going to use with distilled water + primochill additive through 3/8"ID tubing since performance diff vs. 1/2" for this setup should be minimal and the extra flexibility will be helpful.

looks great, though your not pushing the thermal limit of the rads so you don't need a shroud. but if you do make/buy one post pics, i'm interested in what it will look like.

what primochill additive? if it's for colour your best bet is coloured tubing.

Yea, additives aren't needed. If it's color the Feser dye bombs seem popular, but colored tubing is the way to go. Read to many horror stories about the dye seperating, clogging blocks, staing tubing, carpet etc.

Yea, additives aren't needed. If it's color the Feser dye bombs seem popular, but colored tubing is the way to go. Read to many horror stories about the dye seperating, clogging blocks, staing tubing, carpet etc.

Listem to him. Coloured tubing is the best option.

you don't need anti corrosion for either loop listed. all you need is a biocide. kill coils or pt nuke works best.

looks great, though your not pushing the thermal limit of the rads so you don't need a shroud.

Geez, Spawn! Since when is it not practicle to think ahead? Beyond reducing the hub effect and increasing performance a bit, a shroud also acts as a mini muffler. As far as premix and additives, I gave up on them after my last refit. However, if the OP wants to try one, why not? I would suggest using one that is well-reviewed and that lots of people are using. Look for testimonials and monitor the coolant CLOSELY for problems. If any issues pop up, flush, rinse and try something else.

Glad I could start a fight over fans.

You're joking, right? I'd like to think that a person asking for advice would like to see a difference of opinion in the responses.

Yes, joking. Thanks for the advice, I've got foot surgery in 4 weeks so I'll probably wait until after to start building, it will give me something to do while I'm stuck in my apt. I'll post some pics when I'm done

Yes, joking. Thanks for the advice, I've got foot surgery in 4 weeks so I'll probably wait until after to start building, it will give me something to do while I'm stuck in my apt. I'll post some pics when I'm done

Good luck and a speedy recovery, dude. I had a very interesting foot injury once, so get ready for some fun times. :beer:

Geez, Spawn! Since when is it not practicle to think ahead? Beyond reducing the hub effect and increasing performance a bit, a shroud also acts as a mini muffler. As far as premix and additives, I gave up on them after my last refit. However, if the OP wants to try one, why not? I would suggest using one that is well-reviewed and that lots of people are using. Look for testimonials and monitor the coolant CLOSELY for problems. If any issues pop up, flush, rinse and try something else.

isn't a bit more rad then you need thinking ahead(applies to OP and me)? have you seen my setup, do i really need a triple on my 9800GTX :santa:

isn't a bit more rad then you need thinking ahead(applies to OP and me)? have you seen my setup, do i really need a triple on my 9800GTX :santa:

:D Why not slap a shroud on that rad now, instead of doing a face-palm later? It's a relatively cheap way to boost performance AND live with a little less noise. As far your parts list, yeah I've seen it, almost as much as I've seen mine! ;)

just making sure everyone sees it, otherwise it would just be a waste of money lol.

and besides, when i get to the point of needed more cooling, i will have a mm case or mod my old case to be a cooling tower and buy more swiftech rad :) 4 mcr320's enough?

and besides, when i get to the point of needed more cooling, i will have a mm case or mod my old case to be a cooling tower and buy more swiftech rad :) 4 mcr320's enough?

Ascencion! :attn:

Stop it Spawn, you're making my credit card itch! :D No, 4 Monsta's with 18x120x55mm fans would be JUST enough... ;)

I really appreciate all of the input on this thread.

I have just bought the same cpu and gfx card combo, I can't afford 2 loops so I'm just using water for my 4890's to eliminate the noise as I only plan on oc'ing the cpu to 3.8, which I'll get a TRUE for.

I have a stupid noob question: for the fans on the radiator... if there are 3 then where do they plug in? there are already about 3 case fans. most motherboards don't have slots so many fans. is there some kind of adaptor so they can use a standard hard drive power cable or something?

edit to add my motherboard fan connector specs:

1 x CPU Fan connector
3 x Chassis Fan connector
1 x Power Fan connector

yep... so please tell me how the 3 extra scythe fans should be powered?

Last edited:
molex to 3-pin. Also, you don't HAVE to go dual loop for a CPU and 2 GPUs. It all depends on your rad and how it's blown. Just make sure your CPU is plumbed to be hit by freshly dissipated coolant first, and be prepared for ever so slightly warmer temps for your GPU's.

molex to 3-pin. Also, you don't HAVE to go dual loop for a CPU and 2 GPUs. It all depends on your rad and how it's blown. Just make sure your CPU is plumbed to be hit by freshly dissipated coolant first, and be prepared for ever so slightly warmer temps for your GPU's.

Thanks for the quick reply! :)

now, TRUE or water for the cpu... I'll have to do more research.

Back