• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

notfred troubles

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
I'm having the same problem, DB.

The VMPlayer installs fine, runs fine, but can't connect to the internet. I'm guessing it has something to do with Win7 security issues, but I've been unable to find the answer, so far.

Frustrating! :mad:

Success! :soda: :D

I uninstalled VMPlayer, and the vm files it uses, and removed their entries from the registry, after uninstalling. Also removed other instances of the vm files that VMPlayer had "sprinkled" about the HD.

New install fired right up and connected - although it says it's using "bridged" net access mode. (My PC goes to a router, and then to the modem, rather than directly to the modem).

After being reconfigured, and the VMPlayer and client being restarted, it is folding for T32monkeys, but the log file it shows at the status website, is the log file that was stopped, rather than the current log file. To see the actual progress on the WU, I have to check the unitinfo.txt file, instead. I'm sure there's a little trick to fixing that.

After 40 minutes, the VMPlayer has found the fahlog.txt problem and corrected it! :beer:

One of the problems was that when the vm config files were unzipped, they didn't go into, lets say:

User/Adak/appData/vm1/folding,

instead it was unzipped into

User/Adak/appData/vm1/folding/folding

I thought maybe this extra "folding" folder was an accident - but not so, it did it on all 4 of my VM instances. I finally recognized what the problem was and drug the vm files out of it to the desktop, deleted the folder, and then moved into the next level up in the directory, and put them there.

To start each one, I didn't use VMPlayer, because it still had the bad VM's that couldn't connect, and I'm not sure how to delete them from the VMPlayer (they're gone from the HD).

I don't know if it's right or not, but I started each VM (there are 4 on this one rig), from a virgin folding.vm file, rather than risk making a duplicate, and somehow doing it at the wrong time and messing up.

Last edited:
It will keep on running normal dark bishop. It shouldnt give you any errors at all. I get that error all the time.. Its a known bug

Regarding connection issues, I prefer bridged mode with VMWare. I've found that VMWare SERVER does automatic bridging, which would sometimes bridge to the wrong interface, giving it no connectivity. I'm assuming VMWare PLAYER does the same thing. It should be fixable by unchecking the VMWare Bridging protocol or whatever it's called in the properties dialog box of the interfaces you don't want it to bridge too. I haven't gotten to play with this enough to see if that's really the fix or not. I couldn't reproduce the problem when I wanted to (of course it kept happening when I DIDN'T want it to, though). If I can find out for sure that's what the problem is and that's how to fix it, I'll add it to the guide.

Not sure why there seems to be problems with Win7. My guess would be that it has something to do with the firewall though.

Back