• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

osx->pc

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

jdf_warrior

Before I really even get into anything, I wanna check and make sure this is an acceptable topic :) Wondering if anyone has any experience with this topic and could tell me what I might be doing wrong. Maybe I wont get kicked in the head by a mod for talking about this ha.

are you talking about putting mac on a pc?

if so its not allowed to be talked about here so I suggest going on a hackintosh forum,

are you talking about putting mac on a pc?

if so its not allowed to be talked about here so I suggest going on a hackintosh forum,

Buahahahaha, i have no clue what he's talking about :rolleyes:
Cuz you know, I dont ever do that kinda stuff with OSX.

So we aren't going to talk about it :D

All recent Macs are PCs. If you purchase a Mac from Apple, you have just purchased a PC with OS X on it.

If you meant putting OS X on hardware not purchased from Apple, Rule #6 applies.

All recent Macs are PCs. If you purchase a Mac from Apple, you have just purchased a PC with OS X on it.

If you meant putting OS X on hardware not purchased from Apple, Rule #6 applies.

I don't necessarily agree. I have 2 copies of OSX I bought from the Apple Store, but just because i bought them, doesnt mean I have legal footing to stand on if i want to make a hackintosh. In the United States we have a wonderful piece of crap legislation called the DMCA that limits our right to use our software the way we may want to. Specifically the Anti-circumvention act described in the second paragraph here. Which basically means Apple can sue your pants off if they catch you installing OSX on anything but Apple approved hardware. In fact apple is moving to sue a few e-tailors that are selling OSX on non-apple hardware. The case is almost set in stone at this point and no one thinks the e-tailors will win thanks to the DMCA.

yay for politicians ignorant of technology.

Last edited:
Maybe I wont get kicked in the head by a mod for talking about this ha.

You can talk about the legal aspects of doing this, the advantages and disavantages of doing this, you can talk about opinions regarding apple preventing this in the licence. However the moment you attempt to discuss methods to do this the mods will come kicking.

The licence for OSX states that running this on a non Apple branded computer is prohibited as such by breaking the licence you are breaking the law

A. This License allows you to install and use one copy of the Apple Software on a single Apple-labeled computer at a time.

http://www.apple.com/legal/sla/macosx.html

It's not illegal assuming you are using a purchased copy of leopard, but it is against Apple's EULA. Violating a EULA is NOT illegal (not in the US, at least not YET. :() A EULA is a form of contract. If you violate a contract, you are not breaking the law, you are breaking your contract. I personally don't give a crap what Apple's EULA says, but this board, or at least the people who run it do, so discussion here wouldn't be acceptable.

Only thing that could possibly be illegal would be making and distributing the actual patches, as they contain code that Apple would claim is their property and copywrited, and therefore would be illegal to distribute in a lot of countries. That's it. The act of installing it, or, you modifying it yourself to run on a PC is in no way illegal, even if corporations would like to make you think it was.

If I payed for it, I own it. I can open it and make any modifications I like to it, and then use it for whatever I see fit.

Anyway, there are sites dedicated to the subject, so it's not even necessary.

Last edited:
A. This License allows you to install and use one copy of the Apple Software on a single Apple-labeled computer at a time.

So, if I were to say buy an official Apple label (sticker) from apple and put in on my computer I would technically be legal according to there EULA? Just food for thought.

It's not illegal assuming you are using a purchased copy of leopard, but it is against Apple's EULA. Violating a EULA is NOT illegal (not in the US, at least not YET. :() A EULA is a form of contract. If you violate a contract, you are not breaking the law, you are breaking your contract. I personally don't give a crap what Apple's EULA says, but this board, or at least the people who run it do, so discussion here wouldn't be acceptable.

Only thing that could possibly be illegal would be making and distributing the actual patches, as they contain code that Apple would claim is their property and copywrited, and therefore would be illegal to distribute in a lot of countries. That's it. The act of installing it, or, you modifying it yourself to run on a PC is in no way illegal, even if corporations would like to make you think it was.

If I payed for it, I own it. I can open it and make any modifications I like to it, and then use it for whatever I see fit.

Anyway, there are sites dedicated to the subject, so it's not even necessary.

According to the DMCA's anti-circumvention statutes they can take you to court over that and make you legally obligated to comply. So, not *necessarily* "illegal" in the technical sense but close enough that you cant do it out in the open without getting a hefty fine.

According to the DMCA's anti-circumvention statutes they can take you to court over that and make you legally obligated to comply. So, not *necessarily* "illegal" in the technical sense but close enough that you cant do it out in the open without getting a hefty fine.

If that's really the case, that is really quite sad.

"By using SOFTWARE, you agree that COMPANY may, at any time, require END USER to pay fees of up to $9999. COMPANY may assess fees for any reason. COMPANY may assess fees in unlimited quantity." Wonder how that would hold up :)

I don't necessarily agree. I have 2 copies of OSX I bought from the Apple Store, but just because i bought them, doesnt mean I have legal footing to stand on if i want to make a hackintosh. In the United States we have a wonderful piece of crap legislation called the DMCA that limits our right to use our software the way we may want to. Specifically the Anti-circumvention act described in the second paragraph here. Which basically means Apple can sue your pants off if they catch you installing OSX on anything but Apple approved hardware. In fact apple is moving to sue a few e-tailors that are selling OSX on non-apple hardware. The case is almost set in stone at this point and no one thinks the e-tailors will win thanks to the DMCA.

yay for politicians ignorant of technology.

whoa, I didn't know about this. What a load of BS!

This all brings up one of the many, many reasons Apple is trash and I avoid their products like the plague. Decent OS, though, and it's a shame they know that's the only thing they make that's worth the money, hence the militant stance on people installing it on other hardware. If installing Mac OS on non-Apple machines was rampant, no one would ever buy their astoundingly overpriced systems.

Also, the sticker idea of course wouldn't fly. The EULA is referring to official Apple branded hardware.

This all brings up one of the many, many reasons Apple is trash and I avoid their products like the plague. Decent OS, though, and it's a shame they know that's the only thing they make that's worth the money, hence the militant stance on people installing it on other hardware. If installing Mac OS on non-Apple machines was rampant, no one would ever buy their astoundingly overpriced systems.

Also, the sticker idea of course wouldn't fly. The EULA is referring to official Apple branded hardware.

I agree. Leopard is actually not bad, I'd spend the, what, $149 to pick up a copy of it if I could install it and dual boot it on my PC without any strings attached, or hoops to jump through.

Of course, Apple would rather only make it available to those willing to buy their horribly overpriced equipment. Looks shiny, but has mediocre hardware and costs 2x as much as a OEM PC, and 3x as much as a custom built PC.

I agree. Leopard is actually not bad, I'd spend the, what, $149 to pick up a copy of it if I could install it and dual boot it on my PC without any strings attached, or hoops to jump through.

Of course, Apple would rather only make it available to those willing to buy their horribly overpriced equipment. Looks shiny, but has mediocre hardware and costs 2x as much as a OEM PC, and 3x as much as a custom built PC.

Sure, I'd absolutely buy a copy if it could be installed seamlessly on normal hardware. I wouldn't even care if they only maintained compatibility for a very small list of devices and setups that are found in their actual systems (specific Intel chipsets, etc).

A couple years ago I bought a Mini(since been sold) to just "check out" the Apple & OS X thing. Real nice, but had such a heavy and proprietary feel to it, that I found myself putting Linux on it. Pretty soon the logic(or, illogic) of it all caught up with me, and so it got sold off to someone who could appreciate and utilize it more fully than myself.
The hackentosh thing is all quite appealing, for the "just because I can" factor, but personally is moot for me.

A couple years ago I bought a Mini(since been sold) to just "check out" the Apple & OS X thing. Real nice, but had such a heavy and proprietary feel to it, that I found myself putting Linux on it. Pretty soon the logic(or, illogic) of it all caught up with me, and so it got sold off to someone who could appreciate and utilize it more fully than myself.
The hackentosh thing is all quite appealing, for the "just because I can" factor, but personally is moot for me.

Yeah, OSX would really just be another flavor of Linux for me, which I use for everything else other than gaming. I don't like installing much of anything in Windows due to the degradation of performance over time that is mostly alleviated by limiting it to just games.

Back