Saitek Eclipse III - Review

Hey guys, just got this keyboard a few days ago and thought i'd write a short review for y'all.

This is Saitek's keyboard the 'Eclipse 3' this is their latest keyboard in the eclipse line, It is advertised as a 'Multimedia/Office Keyboard' this keyboard retails at around the 40 mark, This puts this keyboard around the level of other keyboards such as the Logitech G11, Razer Arctosa, Microsft Recluse and the Microsoft Sidewinder X6.

It is a very large keyboard, it measures at (Width, Depth, Heigh): 9.3 Inches x 1.4 Inches x 18 Inches, This keyboard is so large that it doesn't fit in my keyboard tray, if this is where you are planning on putting your keyboard be sure that you have the space to accomodate it. They keyboard is made out of a solid plastic, the keys are laser etched and there is also a wrest that you can fit to the keyboard if you need it.

In my opinion, one of the best things about this keyboard is the backlighting, It is very consistent across the board with the exception of it being slightly brighter at the left control key, You can choose several different colours for the backlight, including:
    • Blue
    • Purple
    • Pink
    • A darker pink
    • Red

Video of backligh changes: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aR23R...eature=channel (best viewed in HD)

You can control the backlights brightness in 4 steps, and you can also have the backlight completely off, There is a top bar on the keyboard which contains all the controls for the backlighting and volume, also there are keys to control your media player. There is a nifty volume bar which when you have the driver installed The light moves up according to what volume you set.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=42BHAkItHBY (best viewed in HD)

Another nice feature of this keyboard is the Microphone/Headphone audio pass through, although if your 3.5mm jacks have a large casing they may not fit in the small gap that the keyboard provides, I also find that the angle which they plug in at can be awkward at times.

The keyboard also has 6 shortcut keys on either side I do not think there is a way to change what these keys do, but they all work very well but sometimes I can accidently hit them while in a game, which can be annoying, but it is happening less recently, as I get used to the keyboard more.

Conclusion:
    I think this keyboard is wel worth the 37/$56 I payed for it, it has lots of nice features and the backlighting; I think is one of the best going. I would reccomend this to any type of user, whether you be a gamer, casual user or a crazy student who writes lots of essays

If you need any more info just ask
    Last edited by JamesXP; 05-09-09 at 06:22 PM.
    i5 3570K @ 4.5GHz
    Thermalright Macho 120
    ASRock Z77 Pro4
    8GB Kingston HyperX 1600MHz
    128GB Samsung 830 SSD
    EVGA GTX770 ACX
    EVGA Supernova 750G2
    Corsair 650D

Thanks for the review. I bought an original version because the "II" keys smeared after a relatively short period of time. Hopefully the "III" is better.
    Only Rig:
    BIOSTAR A770 A2+
    AMD 5600+ Windsor @ 3.05 - Hammer Down!
    4 GB KINGSTON Hyper X PC2-6400
    WD Velociraptor 150, WD 640 BLK.
    SEASONIC SD12 Super Silent Series 850W
    ANTEC 300 Case
    BFG 9600GT OC 512
    At least I have a rig! :>)

Heatware Profile
    I had the Eclipse II for a while, but that became unresponsive, and was replaced by the Cyborg, the cousin and predecessor of the Eclipse III. I must say, it is a terrible keyboard. The plastic looks cheap, fingerprints add up quickly, keys seems to grind on their way down when pressed, making an annoying sensation, and the back lighting went very quickly on mine, before some of the keys randomly snapped in half, such as the space bar, which was probably weakened by the two springs supporting it, instead of one, causing it to bend and eventually shear, which is ironic because the space bar and WASD keys were reportedly made of "steel".

Bottom line: Saitek has disappointed me multiple times, I wouldn't buy from them again. After a year or so of average use (8 hours a day on the PC), both my Eclipse and Cyborg began to die.

Folding@Home in Downunder Australia.Victoria
    Author Profile Folding Profile Heatware Profile
    Nice review JamesXP, thanks for the input.

might just have to have a look at this board, for my next keyboard purchase,

Quote Originally Posted by jamesman32 View Post
    I had the Eclipse II for a while, but that became unresponsive, and was replaced by the Cyborg, the cousin and predecessor of the Eclipse III. I must say, it is a terrible keyboard. The plastic looks cheap, fingerprints add up quickly, keys seems to grind on their way down when pressed, making an annoying sensation, and the back lighting went very quickly on mine, before some of the keys randomly snapped in half, such as the space bar, which was probably weakened by the two springs supporting it, instead of one, causing it to bend and eventually shear, which is ironic because the space bar and WASD keys were reportedly made of "steel".

Bottom line: Saitek has disappointed me multiple times, I wouldn't buy from them again. After a year or so of average use (8 hours a day on the PC), both my Eclipse and Cyborg began to die.

I also didn't like the look of the cyborg, fortunately my keys seem fine so far, I have been using this keyboard for around a week now and hopefully I will get many years of service from this awesome keyboard.
    i5 3570K @ 4.5GHz
    Thermalright Macho 120
    ASRock Z77 Pro4
    128GB Samsung 830 SSD
    EVGA GTX770 ACX
    EVGA Supernova 750G2
    Corsair 650D

Im on a Eclipse II and I love it. Though the III looks a lot better...

The Beast(Main)- P5QL/EPU, Q9550, 4GB DDR2 800, 2X320GB Perp, 750GB Cavalier,8800GT(for now) Corsair 750 Watt PSU, Enermax server case, 2x Dell 1908WFP, Vista Home
    http://heatware.com/eval.php?id=51210

Trailer Chasing Senior Adragontattoo's Avatar
    Northwestern corner of Va. USA, Northern Hemisphere, Earth, Sol Sector, outer arm of spiral galaxy
    Author Profile Heatware Profile
    Eclipse I in my lap, Eclipse II on the desk next to me, and I have never had a complaint about either. The Keys have held up well with no issues, the KBs are both sturdy though the II in a bit chunkier.

Ill check out the III but it looks a lot like the Razer Tarantula and if it is anything like that I wont be going any closer then a check it out look.
    Only ISP provided, .EDU, .GOV, .MIL e-mail addresses are Classifieds approved. Are you unable to access the Classifieds?
    Click here to find out why!
    The Forum Rules FAQ|
    Classies Rules and Regs
    Prices, slashes and edits
    Quality over Quantity Pictures are NOT req.
    Adopt an animal if you want one, dont use a breeder!

It is alot thicker than the tarantula, but i'm not much of a keyboard expert, I like this keyboard alot because they keys aren't mushy like on alot of keyboards.
    i5 3570K @ 4.5GHz
    Thermalright Macho 120
    ASRock Z77 Pro4
    128GB Samsung 830 SSD
    EVGA GTX770 ACX
    EVGA Supernova 750G2
    Corsair 650D

Quote Originally Posted by hi-yield View Post
    Thanks for the review. I bought an original version because the "II" keys smeared after a relatively short period of time. Hopefully the "III" is better.
    I have the Eclipse II and havn't had a problem yet. How is it even possible for the keys to smear when they are laser etched??
    Main System/File Server/IP-Fire Router
    CPU: I2500K @ 4.7Ghz (H2o cooled)//AMD Athlon 215 x2/Celeron 1.1Ghz
    Mainboard: AsRock Z77 Extreme 4/Gigabyte 78LMT-USB3/Gigabyte GA-C847N
    RAM: 8GB DDR3 1600Mhz/12GB DDR3 1333Mhz//2GB DDR2
    Video: 2x nVidia GTX660 3GB sli/Radeon 3000//iGPU
    HDD: 256GB SSD (System)/WD VR 300GB(Games)/ 80GB HDD (TV Recordings)/WD VRaptor 160GB (Sytem), Maxtor 80GB (Sys Backup), 5x 1TB (RAID5 Data)/3TB (Backup) HighpointRR 3520 RAID Card/160GB
    PSU: Corsair TX-M 750W/Enermax 495W//FSP 300W
    Case: Coolermaster HAF932/CM Cosmos S/
    Audio: Toslink -> Pioneer VSX-820-K (Dolby TrueHD/DTS Master Audio)
    i7/i5/i3 Overclocking Guide/Intel Core2 overclocking guide/AMD AM2 overclocking Guide

Eclipse I for a few years now for fps games, no smears and no problems =)
    :: Gaming Desktop ::
    CPU: AMD Phenom II X6 1055T @ 3.9 Ghz 1.4v | MOBO: MSI 790FX-GD70 AM3
    GPU: EVGA GeForce GTX 570 (732/1464/1900) | RAM: 4 GB G-Skill DDR3 1600
    SSD: OCZ Vertex 120 GB | HD1: WD Black 640 GB | HD2: WD Black 2 TB
    SC: Xfi Titanium Fatal1ty | PSU: Corsair HX 620 W
    KB: Saitek Eclipse | MOUSE: Logitech MX 518
    CASE: Antec 1200 | OS: Windows 7 x64
    :: Laptop ::
    MOD: Macbook Pro 13 2011 | CPU: Intel Core i5 @ 2.3 Ghz
    RAM: 4 GB DDR3 1333 | OS: OS X Lion 10.7.2

The Eclipse Keyboards were always nice in my opinion. I'm currently on a Saitek Cyborg, and the Eclipse III looks a bit better than this.
    The Rig: : AMD Phenom II X6 1090T @ Stock : Gigabyte GA-880GM-UD2H : 16GB DDR3 1333 Mushkin : Asus EAH5750-1GB :
    Big Daddy Server : Under Construction :
    The Lappy : Intel Centrino 1.6Ghz : HP DV1217US : 2GB DDR : Intel Extreme Graphics 2 :
    The Server : Pentium 4 3.0Ghz 1MB : Optiplex 280: 1GB DDR2 800 : ATi 3650HD :

Not being able to re-map the side buttons is a bit of a bummer, I could probably overlook that though. How long is the cord on it? I'm currently using a bluetooth wireless setup, but the more gaming I do with it the less I'm impressed with the bluetooth aspect. It has inherent 'features' that don't mesh well with gaming.
    Sunbeam Transformer Full Tower
    GA-EP45-UD3P, Q9400 R0 -> 3.6ghz
    2x2Gb G. Skill 1066, Kingwin RVT 12025
    Sapphire HD4870 1Gb, Vista Home Premium x64
    Acer AL2216W, Acer X203W

ASUS Eee PC 1001PX-EU17-BK
    Xbox 360 60Gb
    XBL! Gamertag - pejsaboy
    Sanyo 46" 1080p

well done
    <(+_+)> (v)g <(+_+)>

Unfortunately the corsd isn't very long i'd say around 1.5M, but it works.
    i5 3570K @ 4.5GHz
    Thermalright Macho 120
    ASRock Z77 Pro4
    128GB Samsung 830 SSD
    EVGA GTX770 ACX
    EVGA Supernova 750G2
    Corsair 650D

Author Profile
    I had a saitek eclipse I, and it was the worst design I've ever used in my life. Yes, ergonomically it was nice, and the lighting is great, but the keys smeared off much too easy. On top of that, it was incompatible with games that used joysticks (unless you went into the hardware menu and disabled the volume keys)... but this was partially their fault and microsoft's.

All I know is, I wouldn't ever trust one again. Plus I'm one of those smarmy folks that swears by mechanicals. Even my girlfriend has caught the bug of mechanical keyboards, and now percieves mechanical keyboards as being of higher value and being easier to use.
    Do not break wind in the same room as a dark brother or sister; to do so is to invoke the wrath of Sithis. - Aynjell, in fond memory of Lucien LeChance

pretty colours.... im stuck with blue on my G11... id give anything for a bit of variety....
    i5 4670K @ 4.5GHz with Corsair H60
    MSI Z87-G45 GAMING
    8GB Corsair DDR3 1800MHz
    MSI 7990 Liquid Cooled
    850w Akasa Venom
    1TB WD and 750GB WD Cavier Green
    Samsung SA700D 1920x1080 @ 120Hz

"we should team up... dandy duff `n double bluff?" Bobbybubblehead

10 Year Badge
    Thanks for the review JamesXP.

Ditto on the Eclipse II. I like it blue.
    You're capable of such beautiful dreams, and such horrible nightmares.

Asrock z77xtr6/3770k..........MSI p67a-GD55/2600k
    CORSAIR Vengeance 16gb.......4gigZ Corsair
    Gigabyte 290s crossfire ...........HIS 280x crossfired
    X-Fi Elite Pro.........................H2O cooling
    600gb Raptor/256ssd3..... .......40 Kingston ssd
    Siverstone 1500wt'r.....................Corsair1000HX

MyHeat

i got the cyborg and i wish it went blue lol i get 2 shades of green but no blue
    it is a well made keyboard but you would think for a gaming keyboard you would be able to hit more then 2 keys at the same time my 19 buck microsoft will let me do about 5

so i always have it around when i do climbing maps in css
    Intel Core i7-960 Bloomfield
    GIGABYTE GA-X58A-UD3R
    ATi xFx HD 5770 (juniper xt) 1gb
    Sound Blaster X-Fi XtremeGamer
    CORSAIR XMS3 DDR3 1600 6GB (3 x 2GB)
    OCZ ModXStream Pro OCZ600MXSP 600W
    Intel 40gb SSD x2 raid 0
    Samsung hd322hj 3x320 in raid 5
    SAMSUNG 941BW 19" WIDE SCREENS x3
    Das Keyboard & Logitech G500
    Chief Tech Bravo case
    Enzotech SCW-REV.A and the rest of the loop lol

+1 on the 2 keys at a time, I'm using a microsoft keyboard that I got for $20 that only lets me use 2 at a time which really sucks for fps games. I had the saitek II but the clip on the bottom of the spacebar broke so the spacebar would only work if you hit it right in the middle which was a pain in the butt so it got recycled into the firepit for some nice colors and black smoke.
    AMD FX-8350 4.4ghz 1.368v
    cpu/nb freg 2400mhz 1.20v
    HT Freq 2600mhz 1.2v
    Corsair H100 <Res Mod>
    Asus Sabertooth 990fx
    2x4 GB G-Skill Sniper ddr3 1600 7-8-7-24-34 1T 1.6v

EVGA GTX 770 SC 4GB
    256GB Samsung 840 Pro
    468gig SAMSUNG HD400LJ
    NXXT Switch 810
    Corsair GS800 PSU

Nice review! I bought like 10 refurbished Eclipse II for $17 2 years on black Friday at fry's. I may look from more this year hehe.
    i7 26k
    MSI P67A-G43
    ASUS Xonar Essence STX
    G.SKILL Ripjaws Series 8GB
    Seagate 640GB 7200 RPM
    CORSAIR 750TX
    ASUS 4850 TOP
    Coolermaster 690
    Corsair Hydro Series H50 push/pull