• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

setting up raid 0

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

eXcalibur

i was planning to set up 2 80g hdd at raid 0 for my system drive, then add another 640g hdd for storage.

i'm somewhat new to these raid things, aside from configuring raid 0 on the two 80g drive, do i need to configure raid for the 640g with the 2 80g too?

also, this will be the mobo i'll set my raid on, or would it be ideal to get a external raid controller instead?

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813128387

Last edited:
Nope... only include the 80s i nthe array.

(You will have to hit a button combination after enablign hte raid controller... Usually Ctrl+I or J

i was planning to set up 2 80g hdd at raid 0 for my system drive, then add another 640g hdd for storage.

i'm somewhat new to these raid things, aside from configuring raid 0 on the two 80g drive, do i need to configure raid for the 640g with the 2 80g too?
As excalibur said, include only 80's.
also, this will be the mobo i'll set my raid on, or would it be ideal to get a external raid controller instead?
It depends. A good dedicated RAID card will give better performance over and integrated controller. But if its worth it or not depends on the components involved. What motherboard and drives are you going to use.

RAID 0 requires very little hardware processing to do well. Your motherboard controller very likely will have every bit as good performance as any expensive RAID card. You're talking about a couple of everyday 80 GB drives, right?

You shouldn't need to even think about a fancy RAID card until you're running four (or even more) drives or utilizing RAID 5 or something more complicated than a single pair in RAID 0.

You definitely want the 640 GB drive as stand alone. This will give you HIGHER performance as there will be two separate volumes that can be accessed separately and simultaneously. In other words, your system can access OS files on the RAID 0 volume and access data on the 640 GB drive at the same time.

sorry, i didn't post the link to the mobo, it's updated now, thanks for all replies

I'm currently using RAID 0 on a SB750 board like yourself.
It works well, but in gaming and such, there is only a minor improvement in performance. RAID 0 really shines in large file transfers.

Back