• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

why go to XP

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

bigbenji

Registered
I'm trying to decide whether or not to "upgrade" to XP. I use my pc for games mostly, and I don't know if the stability is worth the compatability headaches. your thoughts?

it depends on how good your system actually is and how old games are u goin to run on it.I am runnin XP Pro on 5 machines and have no compatibility issues @ all.
Great performance and much faster than 98 or ME.
9/10 stars;)

forgot that part

duron 1gig
ecs k7vta3 (KT266A)
256 crucial ddr
ata66 wd hd
geforce 2mx
(does the rest really matter?)

I'm a tech and I've got books about XP, but in my experience it hasn't been faster, just more of a pain. That and most of the books seem to be edited by Billy himself

What OS are you using now? If you are using Win2K, I think it will be fine since Win2K is stable enough. Upgrade your OS to WinXP will cost you a lot. If you are willing to pay it, just go for it. It's better that you get the pro version, instead of Home.

bigbenji said:
forgot that part

duron 1gig
ecs k7vta3 (KT266A)
256 crucial ddr
ata66 wd hd
geforce 2mx

I'm a tech and I've got books about XP, but in my experience it hasn't been faster, just more of a pain. That and most of the books seem to be edited by Billy himself

I think you might want to get more RAMs. Win2K requires more RAMs, since it is running a lot graphics on it.

bigbenji said:
forgot that part

duron 1gig
ecs k7vta3 (KT266A)
256 crucial ddr
ata66 wd hd
geforce 2mx

hehehehe
Well if u have someone to borrow u a copy just to put it on and see if it fits your needs?

win98se

I can get home edition for $40 from a friend who's associated with Microsoft. He can't get Pro for a discount. Still worth it?

Trap said:

hehehehe
Well if u have someone to borrow u a copy just to put it on and see if it fits your needs?

I think you need to send an activation to MS in 30 days after you install the XPs. I don't think you can just borrow a copy and install it.

bigbenji said:
win98se

I can get home edition for $40 from a friend who's associated with Microsoft. He can't get Pro for a discount. Still worth it?

Is it a full version or upgrade version? For me, I prefer Win2K and XP pro. Well, I think it is worth if it is a full version though.

He said he can get me a retail copy of XP Home still sealed in the box with its own activation code for $40 from Microsoft directly. He's got some business contract with them, and its legit.

that's what I was thinking, I just don't want to know what uninstalling XP will be like if I decide to go back to 98. I haven't had to do it at work yet.

I'll need a bigger hd anyway, I've only got 10gb now and it's pretty well used up.

thanks guys
I'll have him order it for me today

well, that or more ram-- I played with a 1gig athlon that had xp home (oem) and 1gig of ddr-- that's the fastest thing I've touched yet

I don't want to get into the whole illegal software stuff, if I want to try it I'll just pay for it. Especially when I can get that discount.

bigbenji said:
well, that or more ram-- I played with a 1gig athlon that had xp home (oem) and 1gig of ddr-- that's the fastest thing I've touched yet

Yes! More RAM will make your XP runs faster, since it has a lot of graphics to run. Good luck dude.

If you do an upgrade of 98 to XP then you will have no problem uninstalling XP and reverting to 98, other than the inherent problems with 98 that is:)

Two things you should do before buying XP is to go to the microsoft website, http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/home/howtobuy/upgrading/checkcompat.asp and run the Upgrade Advisor to find out what programs you have that are incompatible with XP and then go to www.pcpitstop.com and run their XP Readiness Test. If you do any necessary upgrades and make sure you uninstall any incompatible programs before installing XP you will have far fewer problems.

If you install XP and decide you like it then you should backup all your data files, boot to the XP CD, format your hard drive and do a clean install of XP. This will save you alot of problems in the long run by getting rid of all the old stuff that may cause conflicts in the future.

Back