• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

All Older ATI Cards Support CrossFire! ;)

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Foxie3a

Normal Member
Well, not really... but thought this was very interesting. You can see in my sig that I run both a 4870, and a FireMV 2400 in the same system, simultaneously. If you aren't on the up and up of workstation video cards, it's basically a 2D card that supports up to 4 DVI monitors, over 2 GPUs. It's a very high quality card, comes stock with heatsinks on the RAM and voltage regulators. However, the GPUs are just the M24, nothing powerful.

I've only tried with one benchmark program... But it gives the same results when it's run on any monitor! Of course I can select which GPU to run it off of, and if I select the FireMV, performance will be horrible... But I think it's very nice for ATI to let a powerful GPU do the work, even if it's being displayed on a weaker video card.

This is a good step towards using GPUs for more than just games. It helps smooth things along, and is a big perk for FireMV owners. It's a great technology for people who need a lot of monitors, and a moderate amount of power here and there. All they need to do is put one powerful GPU in the system!

Has anyone else experienced this?

That sounds pretty cool! Does NVIDIA have a similar feature?

I don't know... I didn't even know that ATI had this feature.. I wouldn't be surprised if there wasn't even a name for this, it's not advertised as far as I know.

I would assume Nvidia would too though.

Back