• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

My PII 720 Build!

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

A-Dub

I ordered my parts on Monday, and UPS delivered them today (Wed.) thanks to Newegg's speedy shipping :D Assembly was painless, however upon powering up my new system it would only stay on for a few seconds before powering down. I determined my new PSU was to blame, Corsair let me down :( I swapped PSU's and boot/install of Windows 7 was quick and painless.

Here's my pile-o-parts:
Parts.jpg

The monster Sunbeam CCTF cooler installed easily:
Cooler.jpg

As you can see, one ram slot is blocked due to the cooler size and the height of the OCZ reaper memory.
RAM.jpg

Everything in the case before I realized the Corsair PSU was bad. Thankfully I didn't get too crazy with wire management since I had to swap PSU's:
New-System.jpg

The first thing I did was get my Windows experience score before attempting to OC:
Before.jpg

I decided to try the AMD overdrive utility, it seems to work pretty good. Getting to 3.2 ghz was pretty easy. Upon bumping the multi to 16.5 things got a bit unstable. A slight voltage increase fixed that and I was able to increase the multi to 17. I'm currently sitting at 3.4 ghz with everything running cool and stable. I think I have a lot more headroom with this CPU. I think I can hit at least 3.6, maybe 3.8 with this cooler. Needless to say I am quite pleased :beer:
After.jpg

BTW there are better ways to test a score :p
What GPU do you have? I have a GTX295 and only get 6.5...

Yeah, I still need to run some other benchmarks. I'm running a 9800gt with factory overclock. I'm liking my RAM score :D

Here's my 3DMark results, for some reason it wasn't showing my overclock.
Untitled-1-2.jpg

What are the maxes for experience scores now!?!?! I have 5.9's across the board with my 3.75ghz oc'! According to your screenie I should be topping 7.0 with my cpu... :bang head

Attachments

• Vistaexperience.jpg
    Vistaexperience.jpg
    65 KB · Views: 191
I didnt think the windows experience index could go any higher than 5.9???

Windows 7 allows higher scores (up to 7.9). Vista is capped at 5.9. You can actually change them to whatever you want, but what's the point in that :)

BTW there are better ways to test a score :p
What GPU do you have? I have a GTX295 and only get 6.5...

I have the EVGA 285 GTX 1GB and only get 5.9... :confused:

Here's where I'm at on my machine with the stock AMD cooler.

cpuz.jpg

This has proven to be wonderfully stable. I plan on ordering a Sunbeam and seeing how much higher I can go.

Last edited:
I have the EVGA 285 GTX 1GB and only get 5.9... :confused:

Here's where I'm at on my machine with the stock AMD cooler.

cpuz.jpg

This has proven to be wonderfully stable. I plan on ordering a Sunbeam and seeing how much higher I can go.

You are using Vista then. As nzaneb said, only windows 7 goes up to 7.9. That is why mx and I are capped at 5.9 :bang head.

I wasn't mad. Haha, I love when people appoligize to me for nothing. My guess is you looked at my stars and thought I was some kind of forum god. Bahaha. I hardly contribute, I just sit on here a lot. :p

I apologized for missing the above fact that was stated regarding Vista having a cap. It was the courteous thing to do, and had nothing to do with your stars, post count, or join date.

Back