• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Dodgy power supplies?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

rebelwarlock

I'm seeing a lot of power supplies lately on store shelves that raise some doubt in my mind. They're rated for 250-400W, and yet they say they're SLI/Crossfire ready? This has to be BS, right? The last ATI card I looked at said it required at least 400W just for one of them.

Maybe it can SLI a 6800GT... or an old ATI card that i cant be bothered trying to remember...

I'm seeing a lot of power supplies lately on store shelves that raise some doubt in my mind. They're rated for 250-400W, and yet they say they're SLI/Crossfire ready? This has to be BS, right? The last ATI card I looked at said it required at least 400W just for one of them.

Dodgy to say the least... perhaps what they're getting at is that they have 2x PCI-E power connectors... It's crazy to think a 400w power supply would be sufficient to power an entire CF or SLI system that is of any decent performance.

~ Gos

I went and took a look again. You'll never guess what one of the brands was! Powmax! Rosewill was in on it too. Can't believe I didn't notice that before.

My 750w HEC power supply was rated for crossfire/sli, but I had system instability from the get go with that thing. And I never even attempted to run both of my cards on it. It would shut down my system with just one of my 4870's. I never tested it with a multimeter, but I would say it was operating far under its 750w rated output.

I went and took a look again. You'll never guess what one of the brands was! Powmax! Rosewill was in on it too. Can't believe I didn't notice that before.

It kinda sounds like they are using Newegg as their supplier. AFAIK Rosewill is their house brand so to say. I don't know much about the OEM, but I do know they are not rated any better than Powmax.

My roomate got one of them Rosewell PSU because it got the blue fan bling, but i know i can drop mine and not make a dent in it and still keep ticking! I think the box my corsair came in feels better then his PSU! thats bad!

Blue fan bling FTL :(

Yeah, I thought about trying a Rosewell once off the egg, glad I didn't at the time from a lot of things I've read.

:beer:

Back