• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Toshiba satellite L35 hangs on shut down

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

mrgreenjeans

A friend got frustrated with the machine and offered it to me for $50. I wiped and reformatted the drive, reinstalled the Toshiba restore disc and from the first time, the machine refuses to shut down. I've updated to XP service pack 3 and got Norton 2009 installed, but unless i open task manager and selectively stop each process, it refuses to shut down. However, it boots up in a heart beat.
I got most of the bloatware out and my next step is to update drivers, but as usual, the latest updates on their site appear to be the ones I'm using and I always hesitate to use non-proprietary drivers on laptops, I've read horror stories about hardware conflicts.

Anyone encounter this issue. except for the fact it's a 1.6g Celeron w/ 512m ram, the machine is spotless and runs fine. Well, i haven't gotten the wireless adapter to work yet, but that can be easily replaced with a PCm or USB adapter. The machine itself is spotless. I even got the original packaging, disc and paper work. Not bad for $50 bucks.

Now if I could just get the damn thing to shut down!

Any ideas on how to isolate the thread hanging up the shut down process or fix the culprit?

Back