• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

smallest hdd capacity you have seen

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
Smallest I can remember would be 420 MB in the 486 the family had in high school. also had a 386 but don't recall the size of the drive. Before that the 2 computers we had were a C64 with only floppies and a TI something that took cartridges. The smallest I still have is an 8GB quantum bigfoot 5.25" out of the first PC I bought.

I'm pretty young (20, to be precise), but the first computer my family ever owned had 8 megs of RAM and a 200 MB hard drive, though I remember playing a bunch of old DOS games on my cousin's computer when I was younger than that.

Lol, I remember the very first pc my parents got was some Epson when I was like 10. It had two 5.25 (720k?) floppies and no hard drive. One of the drives was used to run DOS off of, since you had to leave the floppy in. I'll never forget when my dad found a 5.25 10mb hard drive in the dumpster when he worked at AT&T and brought it home. He replaced one of the 5.25 floppy drives with the hard drive. :eek: I thought that was like the pinnacle of a pc. No loading of floppies, you just turn it on and it starts up without any work, amazing! :attn:

The smallest capacity I've seen is 5MB Western Digital hard drive. It used 40 pin cable like the PATA but it wasn't compatible with IDE interface, I had to use a WD ISA card to hook the hard drive up. It had external stepper motor for r/w head.

Smallest I've owned is a 20MB Seagate hard drive, a 5.25" half height SCSI drive.

Smallest physical hard drive is a microdrive, only 1" long and a few mm thick.

Think the smallest drive I had was a 20MB drive but could be mistaken. It was fricken huge. 5 1/4 and 2 bays high at least. Took it apart for some class in college.

Not counting the Apple IIe with dual floppy drives I used to play around with, the smallest hd I've owned was a 120mb. I remember backing up that system to something like 30 floppy disks :D

My dad's PC XT had a very expensive at the time 10mb harddrive. My cousin had a 20MB MFM based hard drive and lots of my friends had 40mb drives in their 286 to 486 class machines. The smallest drive that I used routinely was a Seagate 100MB IDE drive with a 386 SX. Back then it was huge and I got some very envious looks when my friends with their 20 and 40 meg drives heard what I was running :) .

what is the smallest hdd capacity you have seen. (not partioned)
im talking about computer HDD, not flash drives or mp3 players or anything like that.

i currently have a 42 MB drive. before that the smallest i had personally seen was a 545.5 MB

I found this link while looking for scrap HDs (2.5") for a project. Without trying to look like an old codger, which I am. :) The first HD that I purchased was 5MB and that SOB cost me $5,000 dollars!! It was for an Apple IIe. Believe it or not, I did a lot of engineering on that computer. I actually used Visicalc to design a harmonic filter for the 26kV incoming power substation at Pennwalt in Portland. In the vein of this site, soon after that I purchased two IBM PCATs. tHEY WERE 6MHZ, 512KB & 20MB with a Verticom 640x480, 16 color video card, 13" monitor and AutoCAD. They cost $10240 each with DOS ??? and AutoCAD. Since I have the floor; The first computer that I worked on was given to my HS electronics class for training. It filled a room and had 100's of 6AU6 vacuum tubes! We used the tubes to repair teachers TVs. :)

P.S. I got two iterations per day while designing that harmonic filter, but it worked and Pennwalt and BPA were both pleased.

I got sidetracked and forgot to relate my overclock story. When the two IBM PC/ATs arrived (1982) the first thing I did was open one to see what was inside. You have to understand I had been in electronics a very long time, trade electronics in HS, an ET in the Navy and an Electrical Engineer. Looking it over, I noticed a socketed crystal labeled 12 MHZ. Since these were 6 MHZ computers, I did the math. :) I immediately left my office and headed down the street to the electronics store. I asked for crystals at 14, 16, 18 and 20 MHZ. They didn't have the socketed type so I bough theleaded type, folded over the leads and soldered them making impromptu pins. Of course the first one I tried was the 20. :>) It caused random lines on the display in AutoCAD. Next came the 18. It worked better, but was still a little flaky. Everything worked fine with the 16 MHZ crystal and the first day we had IBM PC/ATs, we had 8 MHZ PC/ATs. They may have been the first overclocked PCs, outside of the factories/labs. FWIW, they worked for years and we finally traded them in on something better. I'm not sure, 386 or 486. but not quite Pentium.

OK back to modelling our new product in Rhino 5. I had to wait >35 years to get 3D capabilities. Who says that I'm impatient?

71Scamp (Big Block road racer)

:welcome: to the forums Scamp. Looks like you've been doing this stuff a while. Are you into new tech overclocking too?

Hey look, here's an image of your user name. lol
1971_plymouth_scam.jpg

The smallest I ever saw was as an engineering intern...10 MB on the Autocad workstation...it was like WOW - that thing holds Soooo many 5.25" floppies.

The first hard drive I ever bought myself was 20 MB. I remember running backups on 720 KB floppy disks...took a lot of them!

My first ever floppy drive was for my Commodore 64! Was blazing fast compared to the cassette tape!

I'm pretty much an Off-the Shelf" guy now. In the late 90's - early 00s, I did a lot of EE work for MS. One of the projects was the first TB array. Are you ready for this? It took 50+ short racks to get a TB!! Now I have an 8TB raid array NAS connected to my desktop. Moore was right!
71Scamp

The first PC I ever used was my brother's 386SX16 which came with a 40MB Fujitsu disk. I didn't get my own until the 486 era and I went with a 250MB model. So much bigger! The smallest hard disk though, was many years later. It was a 2.5" 32MB one I pulled out of an embedded system. I thought I had hit the jackpot in that it was 32GB, but then I realised it was MB...

Back