• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

smallest hdd capacity you have seen

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

gibz117

what is the smallest hdd capacity you have seen. (not partioned)
im talking about computer HDD, not flash drives or mp3 players or anything like that.

i currently have a 42 MB drive. before that the smallest i had personally seen was a 545.5 MB

Are you kidding me? You must be a young-un! My first (hard) drive was a 5-1/4" FULL HEIGHT Micropolis 40 MB if I remember correctly. I purchased an RLL controller to replace the MFM controller which increased the sectors per cylinder from 17 to 26. This yielded 66 MB of storage. I think the drive was 3,600 rpm.

But the first drive I saw was my friends' 10 MB unit. More storage than I could imagine! The equivalent of almost one-hundred 5-1/4" SSSD floppy disks (that's Single-Side Single-Density for all you punks)! It was also a full-height 5-1/4" unit.

Oh... full-height means the size of TWO CD-ROM drives stacked. Drives quickly succumbed to half-height with the popularity of the IBM-PC and MS-DOS 3.3. The tiny 3-1/2" drives we enjoy didn't come along for quite a while, and those were reserved for "lap tops".

Of course, anyone who hasn't saved their work to CASSETTE TAPE is a SPOILED BRAT! And that was a huge luxury compared to my first computer which had ZERO STORAGE and THANK GOD, ONLY 256 BYTES OF RAM, because you had to use toggle switches to enter your program every time you turned the power on. Yes, you had to enter everything in BINARY. Do you know what 512 x 128 is without a calculator? I DO!!! In hex or decimal!

elf.jpg

You must be a young-un! My first (hard) drive was a 5-1/4" FULL HEIGHT Micropolis 40 MB if I remember correctly.
Hehe, 40? Elitist. My first HDD was a 5 1/4 sporting a whopping 10MB's. I've actually had it up until few years ago when I decided I valued room more than nostalgia after all. Those were fun days tho. Nothing like trying to cram 1.2MB onto a 360kB floppy :beer:

Of course, anyone who hasn't saved their work to CASSETTE TAPE is a SPOILED BRAT![/IMG]
Lol, I do remember there was a PC enthusiast radio program and they would transmit binary beeps over so that you could record them and put into your ZX Spectrum (as was mostly the case). several min of binary noise, fun for the whole family :screwy:

Of course, anyone who hasn't saved their work to CASSETTE TAPE is a SPOILED BRAT! And that was a huge luxury compared to my first computer which had ZERO STORAGE and THANK GOD, ONLY 256 BYTES OF RAM, because you had to use toggle switches to enter your program every time you turned the power on. Yes, you had to enter everything in BINARY. Do you know what 512 x 128 is without a calculator? I DO!!! In hex or decimal!

boy do i remember my c64 sporting a tape drive i even had a BBS expansion module where you could download software beat that! ;)

even moreso when you had to load games or apps you had to load the disk then run it. ahh, the good times

haha, my first PC had a 20GB HDD with 32mb RAM and i thought that was terrible. I can't believe you guys had HDD's in the megabytes!

Smallest I've seen was an original 5MB Shugart drive. Smallest I personally used was a 33MB HH MFM drive, was in my Dad's Laser XT clone. I forget who made it, I wanna say Tandon. It was one of those with the black plastic faceplate and built-in LED to match the front design of the IBM PC cases at the time. Smallest I currently have is an old Quantum Prodrive, 3.5" HH 40MB SCSI, again with a black faceplate. I can't remember what that one came out of, it's been around for years though.

Not including my C64/128 tape drive, the lowest HDD I have ever used was a 40MB on my PS/2 70 computer. It was also my first REAL computer, again not including my C64/128

yes i am a youngn. im 21. the first laptop i had was running 3.1x. i dont know what kind it was or the hdd space. the second one i had, had 800MB of storage.

Yup, I had the Timex Sinclair. No hard drive at all, used allot of those cassette tapes. They made a floppy drive for it, but it costs nearly as much as the computer.

The lowest size hard drive I have worked with was a 16mb if I remember correctly...heck, it's been SO long ago:eek:

First storage medium was also cassette tape. PC had a a 4K rom for data. (TRS-80)

Smallest hdd I do not recall. Smalleast I still have is 10GB. I think the TRS-80 came with a 8MB HDD option also...

Second computer, still no HDD

had 2 big ole floppies in it though :) the Floppy case was as a big as the computer case. (about the size of a full size tower laid on its side)

Last edited:
I can't really remember the system specs on my old 8086, but that was a hand me down to play games on when I was 5.

The first PC I really remember building with my dad was a 486 SX 33, and I think I had somewhere around 500MB storage on that?

Lets see, I remember having a 1.7GB Seagate that I had on my Pentium 133. The smallest drives I still own are 4 4.3GB Fujitsu 7200 RPM Ultra Wide SCSI disks that I picked up with my Dual Processor PII 400. Ran them in Raid 0 with my Adaptec 2940. Man, those were smoking fast drives. I'm still using those drives (in Raid 10 now) for an old SQL Server DB.

The smallest I ever owned was a 700 mb. I now own a 1TB and a 640GB, and will be increasing by 3 1 or 2 TB's soon

self proclaimed storage man *****.
:D

I think technically what I'd call my first real desktop with a HD I can think of was a Packard Bell 386 with a 40 MB drive in it, I think it was :)

I think that sucker had a proprietary 14 inch monitor on it hehe, it was pretty good color for it's time though

:beer:

I did have an old C64 prior.

Last edited:
Back