• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

smallest hdd capacity you have seen

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
I still have a wd, 26400 at 6 gigs, yes I still have the windows 3.1 machine I keep it around for when the 4 gig that's in it dies.

This thread brings back lots of memories. I also remember when my Dad's friend spent hundreds to get a 1GB hdd. I was amazed that they existed, I could just imagine all of the games you could fit on that...

my first PC had 131MB HDD ( Maxtor ) but I think I had somewhere ~40MB IBM HDD

Back to my original search. I'm looking for miniature HDDs that have died. I need them for a project. I have many 3.5", but they are too large. SSDs won't work. Any leads to PC surplus shops that may have some will be appreciated.

1st HDD I ever had was in my Commodore Amiga 500 and had 20mb. When I switched to a 386 66mhz(?) it had a 40mb HDD (DOS 6.22)in which I had to use DoubleSpace to be able to install DOOM II) ;)

MY first PC had a...

Wait what is the data capacity of a 60 minute audio cassette? Bear in mind the system had only a 4K RAM so I guess less than that?

Ahh... thanks to wiki..

wikipedia said:
TRS-80s with Level I BASIC read and wrote tapes at 250 bits per second (31.25 bytes per second)

So theoretically 112KB

I can't really remember the system specs on my old 8086, but that was a hand me down to play games on when I was 5.

The first PC I really remember building with my dad was a 486 SX 33, and I think I had somewhere around 500MB storage on that?

Lets see, I remember having a 1.7GB Seagate that I had on my Pentium 133. The smallest drives I still own are 4 4.3GB Fujitsu 7200 RPM Ultra Wide SCSI disks that I picked up with my Dual Processor PII 400. Ran them in Raid 0 with my Adaptec 2940. Man, those were smoking fast drives. I'm still using those drives (in Raid 10 now) for an old SQL Server DB.

Fast but loud. I got rid of mine back in 05?

EDIT" Ooops Sorry I thought I read seagate

I had to support an old server machine at my first job...an IBM PS/2 386 type 8580-071 with twin 44 mb seagate (MFM? RLL?) ST-506 drives. When it was retired in 1997, I bought it and brought it home. I ended up giving it to a friend of mine just so he could log onto BBS systems. Ah, the good old days...

Back