• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

FEATURED THE OVEN TRICK - WORKED

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
Haste, that is just awesome!!!

What was your procedure... what components did you pull off the board, and what did you leave?

wow thats amaing
there's a bid on a 1600 pounhds dell xps gaming laptop on ebay.co.uk and it has a graphics card issue.....i am tempted

What was your procedure... what components did you pull off the board, and what did you leave?

this image shows basically all the work done to the motherboard. i removed pieces that were protecting the motherboard. i was able to reuse all of them when reassembling the laptop. i did bake the board with the gpu/cpu sockets facing up instead of down.

100_5722.jpg

the gpu heatsink also had a piece of foil on it instead of just TIM...i was told it was designed this way to help accomodate tolerances in the build quality. i noticed it was fairly off center too...so i just removed it and cleaned the heatsink completely, swapped some washers so i could get better pressure between the gpu/heatsink surface and threw some thermal paste on it. i did a test mount and got perfect coverage of the gpu die. i think initial heatsink installation may have contributed to the premature failure of the graphics chip.

i hope this fix lasts a long time... ive only had the computer on for more than 16 hours now since its been fixed. i did run the resident evil benchmark for around 30 minutes total and my temps maxed at 65c on the cpu and 63c on the gpu.... i plan on running some more 3d intensive apps once i get the software side of things squared away.

Made an account on here just so I can relay my experience. I disassembled my P6860fx laptop since it crapped out on me 5days ago. Won't boot into windows unless in safe mode / gpu disabled. Gonna bake the motherboard tomorrow and tell you how it went. 385f for 8 minutes should do the trick right?

One more thing, my oven can heat from below , from above or both. Which should I use? Going to be baking gpu side up like Haste266.

this image shows basically all the work done to the motherboard. i removed pieces that were protecting the motherboard. i was able to reuse all of them when reassembling the laptop. i did bake the board with the gpu/cpu sockets facing up instead of down.

100_5722.jpg

the gpu heatsink also had a piece of foil on it instead of just TIM...i was told it was designed this way to help accomodate tolerances in the build quality. i noticed it was fairly off center too...so i just removed it and cleaned the heatsink completely, swapped some washers so i could get better pressure between the gpu/heatsink surface and threw some thermal paste on it. i did a test mount and got perfect coverage of the gpu die. i think initial heatsink installation may have contributed to the premature failure of the graphics chip.

i hope this fix lasts a long time... ive only had the computer on for more than 16 hours now since its been fixed. i did run the resident evil benchmark for around 30 minutes total and my temps maxed at 65c on the cpu and 63c on the gpu.... i plan on running some more 3d intensive apps once i get the software side of things squared away.

The problem isnt how long it will run continuously, but how many times it can be cycled (powered on, used, and then powered off) before it quits again. These HP's have serious problems with BGA solder cracks. A proper reflow, in conjunction with a cooling fix is needed to fix these long term. Actually a reball would be even better.

I've used solid copper pennies (1982 and older), sanded smooth on both sides to replace the thick thermal pads. This dropped the temps considerably, but i'm still not sure how long it will last.

In short, these laptops are hard to fix long term without special equipment. However the one you have, with separate video chip has a better chance than ones without. The heatsink for the video is separate from the CPU heatsink, and thus runs cooler. The other problem however, is that the nvidia northbridge shares the heatsink with the cpu. Hopefully, since the video load isnt handled by the northbridge, the heat will then be low enough to pevent too many problems. I have found the DV9000 series with intel chipsets, and nvidia video more reliable after repair because of the separate heatsinks. But these things REALLY need better cooling.

Last edited:
One more thing, my oven can heat from below , from above or both. Which should I use? Going to be baking gpu side up like Haste266.

i would think from below .. depends how your doing it ..are you placing it on a baking sheet then on foil balls .. i would think the baking sheet would help shield from a high heat when bringing it up to temp if it should kick on in the 8 minutes

The problem isnt how long it will run continuously, but how many times it can be cycled (powered on, used, and then powered off) before it quits again. These HP's have serious problems with BGA solder cracks. A proper reflow, in conjunction with a cooling fix is needed to fix these long term. Actually a reball would be even better.

I've used solid copper pennies (1982 and older), sanded smooth on both sides to replace the thick thermal pads. This dropped the temps considerably, but i'm still not sure how long it will last.

In short, these laptops are hard to fix long term without special equipment. However the one you have, with separate video chip has a better chance than ones without. The heatsink for the video is separate from the CPU heatsink, and thus runs cooler. The other problem however, is that the nvidia northbridge shares the heatsink with the cpu. Hopefully, since the video load isnt handled by the northbridge, the heat will then be low enough to pevent too many problems. I have found the DV9000 series with intel chipsets, and nvidia video more reliable after repair because of the separate heatsinks. But these things REALLY need better cooling.

i like your penny idea. if this laptop has a problem again i may resort to that method. thanks!

i got this laptop for so cheap i could really care less how long it lasts. i could get my money back just by selling a few parts off of it.

Un ****in believable. HAHAHAH
It worked. HAHA Baked the mobo booted to gateway screen, no artifacts, booted right into windows. I just sat there looking at it, saying holy ****. Wow, took some pics with my phone if you all want I'll poste em up later. I was sure this ****ing laptop which cost me $1200 would be an expensive paperweight. Thanks for all your help guys.

Attachments

• 28-12-09_0940.jpg
    28-12-09_0940.jpg
    179.3 KB · Views: 2,969
  • 28-12-09_1007.jpg
    28-12-09_1007.jpg
    135.4 KB · Views: 2,950
  • 28-12-09_1008.jpg
    28-12-09_1008.jpg
    138.3 KB · Views: 2,942
Last edited:
Think this would work on the failed 7800 GT GO in my laptop?

The laptop display still works, but the system doesn't recognize the video card anymore. I could theoretically go from a partially dead to a fully dead laptop, so I do have something to lose in this case, lol.

After hemming and hawing I decided to give it a shot. Taking the whole assembly apart and putting back together properly took more time and effort than the baking. I went from a fully dead graphics card to a partially dead graphics card. The system recognized an unknown graphics device (yay!), but after installing the latest nVidia drivers the screen randomly goes blank every couple seconds (booooo).

I gotta say, the solid copper case the video board sits in is sexy as hell.

Too bad it didn't work, maybe it needs to be double baked.

Un ****in believable. HAHAHAH
It worked. HAHA Baked the mobo booted to gateway screen, no artifacts, booted right into windows. I just sat there looking at it, saying holy ****. Wow, took some pics with my phone if you all want I'll poste em up later. I was sure this ****ing laptop which cost me $1200 would be an expensive paperweight. Thanks for all your help guys.

awesome!

After hemming and hawing I decided to give it a shot. Taking the whole assembly apart and putting back together properly took more time and effort than the baking. I went from a fully dead graphics card to a partially dead graphics card. The system recognized an unknown graphics device (yay!), but after installing the latest nVidia drivers the screen randomly goes blank every couple seconds (booooo).

I gotta say, the solid copper case the video board sits in is sexy as hell.

Too bad it didn't work, maybe it needs to be double baked.

baking it again may do the trick. maybe try a different position/orientation of the motherboard in your oven?

did you smell solder when you pulled it out? i smelled it fairly heavily when i pulled my laptop mobo out.

I was refereed to this thread from a buddy as I had a passive cooled 8400gs card go all crazy, artifacts in bios and locking up the system before windows could even load.

I didn't believe 'oven trick' could be used as a fix, but after baking... I ran 3dmark06, a round of Killing Floor and L4D with no problems. hahaha :clap:

I just wanted to thank antipesto for discovering this amazing "fix." I have an 8800GTX that has run fine for 3 yrs now. Yesterday I got the red, grid pattern dots while playing L4D2 and the comp would freeze, however, I could still hear sound. This happened each time I restarted and booted up L4D2 for a total of around 7 times. On the last time my computer would boot up, however, nothing would be displayed on the monitor. Trial and error led me to the video card.

The oven method worked. I am still absolutely amazed. Thanks again for all the help.

385 F at exactly 8 minutes is what I did.

Hello everybody!
We run a laptop motherboard repair workshop in Greece and we sell repair service on ebay for damaged nvidia and ATI video boards and motherboards. I am making this post to inform everybody that the oven trick will cause permanent damage to your board. I had to make this post because many of our customers first try this trick and then send us their boards. most of these boards are permanently unrepairable after the trick but they would be repaired otherways. So this stupid trick waste our time and causes loss to us and to our customers. Yes if you try it on 100 boards you might get some of them to work but it will only be temporary ( a few days to a couple of weeks). If you really want to have your laptop working again please DON'T TRY THIS TRICK. Try to find someone around you who can do a real repair on it or search on ebay for a repair service. Our service starts for as low as 45Euro with all costs included but you might find someone else closer to you who can do a real job. Please don't try stupid tricks which will damage your computer permanently.
Thank you for reading this

hmm ^ i am not sure how heat can damage them... i have tried it plenty of times, and they are put in ovens during production anyway....

My dad recently replaced his 8800GTX that died the other day. First artifacting then leading to no boot at all. I know he's happy with his 5850 that he purchased, but he did give me the dead card. I think I'll try this when I get time and see how it works out.

Back