• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

FEATURED THE OVEN TRICK - WORKED

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
This thread cannot die. Once it stops working, we simply put it in the oven at 400 degrees for 10 minutes and it comes back to life.

AHHAHAHHAHAHAHAHHAHA :rofl:

One thing i have noticed is all the cards that i have had the chance to bake, are all OEM nvidia cards... never had a 3rd party nvidia card come to me bad.... although all the OEM nvidia cards are in OEM comps where ppl never clean them out.... every one has been dusty as hell, and obviously the reason why they failed.

I've used this method on the following hardware. The time after the hardware is how long ago I did this.

ATI HD4850 512mb - 1 years
Another ATI HD4850 512mb - 6 months
NV 9800 GT 1gb - 1.5 years
8600GTS 512mb - 6 months
2x1gb Super Talent DDR2 - 1 month
Dell Studio 1550 Mobo - 8 months

All still working well, all were dead prior to the oven. My wife gives me credit because I cannot cook, but since I fix hardware...she can't complain ;)

Just purchased a truly dead card that I'm hoping to revive.

dead_gtx260.png

Yes, that thing is completely removed. I like a challenge.

dead_gtx260.png

ya, u jacked it right out from underneath me!!!! lol... good luck!

Im not sure if just letting gravity push the gpu core down to the pcb will be enough (although it was enough to pull it off haha) ... maybe a small weight during the baking process on top of the gpu core to make sure its soldered good.

BTW ANOTHER +1 for the oven trick... i got bored today, and decided to bake an old stick of DDR2 pc 4200 that was dead... im pretty sure i over heated it when i was playing with it at 2.0v 800mhz a long while back... anyways if u put it in any system it would cause the system not to even post.... for such a small item i did 6min at the standard 380ish *f i normally do.... just passed 3 hrs of memtest he he he!

WOW!!!! Never have i seen anything like that! If that still works, wow.

Kinda makes me wonder why ATI & Nvidia design their cards to face down. :screwy:

BTW ANOTHER +1 for the oven trick... i got bored today, and decided to bake an old stick of DDR2 pc 4200 that was dead... im pretty sure i over heated it when i was playing with it at 2.0v 800mhz a long while back... anyways if u put it in any system it would cause the system not to even post.... for such a small item i did 6min at the standard 380ish *f i normally do.... just passed 3 hrs of memtest he he he!

RAM also likes the "Freezer Trick"

Revived about 6 sticks of DDR2 D9's back in the day :attn:

Card arrived. This will be interesting. I left my images larger so you can get really good detail on the damage.

deadcard_1.JPG

deadcard_2.JPG

deadcard_3.JPG

deadcard_4.JPG

That looks like it got wet or something.
Other then that... Smear a leave-in-place flux around and go to town! Looks like all the solder is still there, I bet you can do it.

I almost bought that same card with the same plan :D

The only concern I have is there is one or two spots where multiple BGA solder points are balled together. I traced it to the memory, so it is very important. I was hoping it was power related, because then I could just leave it.

I just broke out the soldering iron and fixed the really bad one. This should work. These things are so tiny, it would blow your mind. I had my face about 2" off of the board to see what I was doing, with a 650f soldering iron nearby. Was pretty interesting. I'm surprised the board didn't start on fire or I soldered myself to the board. This means a higher chance of success if I can figure out how to immobilize the core when it is put in the oven. That part is going to be difficult. If it moves 1mm, game over.

resoldered_1.JPG

resoldered_2.JPG

Honestly, if this starts up, but artifacts really bad, I'm calling it a success. If it kills my system, I'll probably cry.

Any idea if this would work for laptop mobos?

We have around 20 dv6000 with bad mobos we got for trade-ins over a few years and the HP bs recall is long gone.

We can get them fixed for $100 w/out disassembling first (anyone whose completely taken apart a laptop would know how long and annoying it is)

It depends what is wrong with it. If a solder point needs to be reflowed, then yes, this will fix it.

For example, if the chipset is dead (blue smoke), then it won't.

Hello!
I registered only to post in this thread,which is kinda odd,but meh.
I have a dead 4870 1gb sapphire,the fan starts up,as normaly (but when the GPU worked,it spined at 100% for 1-2secs,now it only spins constantly at 30-25%) ,the bios tells me that i don't have a gpu in place (1long beep,3short) and it continues to start the pc.
It got 3red led's to verify if you plugged the 2 6pin connectors,when it was working,they turned on when i forgot to connect 1. Now they don't turn on,no matter if you plugged the 2 connectors or not. It also got 3 green leds on the back,probably for power/vrm dunno,they turn on no matter what. If i don't connect the 2 pci-e cables,only 2 power up,presumably indicating that 1 vrm/power phase is not on.
I bought it from a "guy" and it died after 1 month.
I think the over-trick is the only solution nao?
Please reply quickly!

Any idea if this would work for laptop mobos?

We have around 20 dv6000 with bad mobos we got for trade-ins over a few years and the HP bs recall is long gone.

We can get them fixed for $100 w/out disassembling first (anyone whose completely taken apart a laptop would know how long and annoying it is)

If you can "find" receipts for those, you can can new laptops under the class action suit.

http://www.nvidiasettlement.com/index.html

bought a broken 8800GT video card off ebay for cheap. Said it was artifacting, etc. and thought I could revive it.

No sign of previous oven-trick attempts. Noticed that it had the decoder chip broken off, so I soldered one from another video card.

Then I baked it one more time. Artifacts once I install the drivers for it...

Hello!
I registered only to post in this thread,which is kinda odd,but meh.
I have a dead 4870 1gb sapphire,the fan starts up,as normaly (but when the GPU worked,it spined at 100% for 1-2secs,now it only spins constantly at 30-25%) ,the bios tells me that i don't have a gpu in place (1long beep,3short) and it continues to start the pc.
It got 3red led's to verify if you plugged the 2 6pin connectors,when it was working,they turned on when i forgot to connect 1. Now they don't turn on,no matter if you plugged the 2 connectors or not. It also got 3 green leds on the back,probably for power/vrm dunno,they turn on no matter what. If i don't connect the 2 pci-e cables,only 2 power up,presumably indicating that 1 vrm/power phase is not on.
I bought it from a "guy" and it died after 1 month.
I think the over-trick is the only solution nao?
Please reply quickly!

Umm,no one? Please?

Back