• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

FEATURED THE OVEN TRICK - WORKED

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
NEW PICS: )
my temps were idling at around 65, so i took off the huge plastic thing and used zip ties to stick a fan to it
temps have been reduced around 10c
aas.jpg

not too sure about if it should be pushing air into the heatsink or pulling :confused:

the plasting 'thing' ....yeah i know...pointless pic....
02012008032.jpg

Pushing air into the fins should provide the most benefit.

Me being a genius, decided to wash my old 6800 GT with hot water once koz the fan and sink were too dusty to try to clean otherwise. Needless to say, the card wouldn't work afterwards, even after 20 mins with my hairdryer. I had never heard of that trick then, but desperate to get it back I tossed it in the oven too. MIRACLE!

It's still running strong ( I sold the whole PC to a friend)

bet you carnt make my R10 power choke go again thoe, looks like its been in the oven but the rest of the card hasnt :(
this is the miracle line isnt it?

jediobi1 - cheer up about the leaded solder it works better and you get to do it for less time #Chuckles#

bet you carnt make my R10 power choke go again thoe, looks like its been in the oven but the rest of the card hasnt :(
this is the miracle line isnt it?

jediobi1 - cheer up about the leaded solder it works better and you get to do it for less time #Chuckles#

true, but i threw it out, dont wanna use something thats gonna kill me but thats getting harder and harder to do

i have a old x1950pro that gave my checkerboards then died soon after. i should give this a shot.

think its agp tho. no way to test after.

its not really an "oven trick", you do the same thing with your xbox when you get the red ring of death, except you dont stick it in an oven, you put it under 5 pillows and let it overheat, ofcourse that temporarily fixes the problem, i do believe when a graphics card over heats its circuit breaks, thats why it wont work, and when you heat it all up, the whole circuit breaks i guess, providing a temporary fix, it'll last you for a week, maybe, or maybe youll get lucky and it'll last you much longer, not quite sure since its never been done with a graphics card :p

i am pretty sure its the psu, i have uploaded a sound file
http://www.2shared.com/file/5857586/e7c5c8f2/Untitled__3_.html
( u need to put ur volume pretty high)
it kinda sounds like when you open a coke can just a tiny bit

No need to worry about it.

inductor coils, power section FETs, high speed memory access, and clock speed

are the cause of the noise, i suppose we are still young enough to hear those sounds, and not everyone can hear those

I asked a friend of mine and he didn't hear nothing i suppose his ears don't hear high pitched noise.

sounds like normal operation to me (for what I can here from my all digital yet still suffering RF set up)

I have to put up with thoes noises all day threw my speakers just now :( and a ground loop isolator will just cap the high `n low frequency responce... feel like putting my hi-fi in the oven #Chuckles#

my first GTX280 had a really noisey coil in it.... squeal piggy squeal! #Laughs#

btw when i put it in the oven , i made 4 balls of foil and put one under each corner of the card, around 3 cm high,

'Grats on a successful oven bake revival! :beer:
I have heard that painting the coils with clear nail polish will cease the squealing and does not restrict the circuitry in any way, shape, or form. I suppose you could use colored as well, if you wanna get fancy.

wow, washing a graphics card under water is a new 1 !

Lol. I wash all pc components under warm running water from time to time, even the PSU. It was also good to clean the pcb of my latest video card that I drilled through to make sure there was no metal dust on it.

Lol. I wash all pc components under warm running water from time to time, even the PSU. It was also good to clean the pcb of my latest video card that I drilled through to make sure there was no metal dust on it.

Isopropyl alcohol would probably be a better choice, but if you really know what you're doing I guess water could work.

Too risky for me!

You drilled through your gfx card? Can you explain more? :confused:

Just incase anyone is interested, here is an image of what the larger solder joints look like after its been heated :)

04012008050.jpg

i have a dead 8800gtx, computer boots but i get red vertical lines all over the screen and then it wont boot into windows...was thinking of giving this a try.

are you putting it in the oven with back of the card facing down? or the front(gpu side) down?

Back