• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

FEATURED THE OVEN TRICK - WORKED

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
i have a dead 8800gtx, computer boots but i get red vertical lines all over the screen and then it wont boot into windows...was thinking of giving this a try.

are you putting it in the oven with back of the card facing down? or the front(gpu side) down?

thats the exact problem i had ( red vertical lines )

what i did was. put foil down first ( on the oven rack thing), then make four foil balles, to put on each corner of the card ( the balls should be about 3cm high
then put one ball on each corner of the graphics card, so the main pcb is elevated

I put it so that the Nvidia chip/cpu was facing upwards, and the plain pcb side was facinh down ( touching the four foil balls)

i just left it in there for ( i think around 5 mins < i completly lost track of time ), but i stopped when i saw one of the stickers on the pcb go abit yellowish, and you might be able to see some of the large solder joints go a shiny silver, thats when i took it out
i took it out the oven straight away, and let it cool naturally for 5 mins under a fan :)

by the way - make sure you remove all the themal paste (and obviously the heatsink ) before you put it in

oh and make sure you 'preheat' the oven.

( soz i typed that lot abit fast so if anything is unclear i can help :) )

i was finally able to attempt this today and im amazed! it worked. wow...if i had only known when it died...

wondering now whether i should try selling it or keep it for a backup...hmmmmmm.

furmark is chugging along right now!

forgot put leave in my post that i left it in the oven(385f preheated) on a thin cookie sheet
supported by 3 aluminum foil balls. two on the front of the card and one in the middle of the rear. i left everything in the oven for 8-10 minutes with occasionally opening of the door to look at the card(holding my breath). i had my oven hood exhaust turned on also.

i didnt actually notice any apparent change in the way the components/solder looked while in the oven, i had a bright flashlight to get a better look at it while peeking but didnt notice any changes.

Ouch. You really should have flipped the board. In that orientation, gravity is pulling the chips down at the same time that the oven is softening the very stuff holding them to the board.

Hopefully you got lucky and there wont be any problems, but for future reference and for anyone else thinking about trying this method, place the board in the oven chip-side up.

wow great succsess ^^ nice pics! i have got three more graphics cards on the way! ( 1 gtx and two gts's ) :)

Add one more 8800GTX to the success list. I just baked it for 12-15 minutes at 385F.

Gamed on it a bit, and all seems well. Wonder what the longevity of this will be?

This is just nuts... i think this method if the first thing anyone will try if their card breaks!!

Is my graphics card ready yet...?

Hang on.... bzzzzzzzzzzz ping!!

Done!!

Allow to stand for a few minutes before installing... dont want to burn yourself!!

LOL at all the haters in the HardOCP thread.

What if Nvidia does this to all the RMA's

They probably do, to the cards that need it. That's basically how BGA stuff is soldered (and reflowed) in manufacturing. I mean, they don't use Kenmores and cookie sheets, obviously, but the general process is the similar.

Though, I can't say I would have thought of cracked solder joints as being the source of the problem. Interesting.

WOOO MY 2ND 8800GTX ARRIVED - Had no display at all...Stuck it in the oven for 8 mins (exactly) AND NOW IT WORKS!!!!!
aaaaaa im soo hapy :)

Back