• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

FEATURED THE OVEN TRICK - WORKED

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
Registered on OCF just to say that this WORKED!

I have an 8800GTX that was crashing under load, and eventually it crashed and stopped working when I used my computer, wouldn't even POST.

Stripped it bare, cleaned it, and put it in the preheated oven at 190°C for just about 8 minutes.

Rebuilt it, using the last of my arctic silver :-( and put it back in my pc, booted... and well what do you know, IT WORKED, YOU LITTLE BEAUTY! :D

Now to see how long it lasts :)

My 7800GT now lives, thanks guys :D Passed everything I could throw at it, brilliant ideas you people have!

Well done antipesto93 my GTX8800 died on the 25th of sept this year (Full of fluff) and I am posting from the rig that its in! Lets see if I can save some cash before it goes again.

I wrote that on the 15th of October its now the 10th of December.
My card dies again and was just re-ovened.

Been used ever day and 3d games too.

Stock cooling btw.

can you belive this IT WORKS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! i have been bashing me head against the wall as my alien area 51 stoped working, i have been quoted over 300 pounds for a second hand video card as you can nolonger get new ones, so i thought i had nothing to lose but to try this unbelivable thing and ITS WORKED !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! i am so pleased a BIG thank you and have a happy xmas .

I should have tried this with my laptop mobo instead of sending it off to jerkoffrepair,com. Hell of a trick to know about!

can you belive this IT WORKS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! i have been bashing me head against the wall as my alien area 51 stoped working, i have been quoted over 300 pounds for a second hand video card as you can nolonger get new ones, so i thought i had nothing to lose but to try this unbelivable thing and ITS WORKED !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! i am so pleased a BIG thank you and have a happy xmas .

wow thats alot of money saved!

Hi!

I have just registered to thank you, I have fixed a X850 Radeon that showed a lot of artifacts and memory errors.

First of all I disasembled the fan/cooler, removed the termal grease on the GPU and then covered with aluminium foil all the components of the video card expect the ram and GPU chips, especially the electrolytic capacitors as they can pop at hight temperatures.

Then I preheated the oven at 150ºC, and tried to follow this temperature/time curve (taken from http://www.lrr.in.tum.de/~acher/bga/index.html)

tmprof.jpg

That is:
- Preheat the oven and leave the card 4 minutes at 150ºC
- Up the temp to 230ºC and leave 2/3 minutes at 220-230ºC
- Open the oven door to lower the temp to 150º, close the oven door, leave the card for 3 minutes more.
- Off the oven, leave the door opened and let the card cool naturally for 40 minutes.

Thank you one more time, this trick rocks!

Anyone think a Geforce 2 MX/MX 400 would work? For about 3 years now(yes its older than that I know, BUT) it has been displaying things fine, but it has some minimal discoloration and it has trouble displaying black and everything has a black shadow, and minimal flickering. Its very usable, but do you think it will work?

sounds more like a vga cable/monitor issue to me,

Its not the VGA cable works perfectly fine on my laptop, and I pulled this from an old P4 mobo as a temporary fix until my dvi to vga adapter arrives, and it has the same problem as the old P4 mobo.

Attachments

• PIC014.jpg
    PIC014.jpg
    147 KB · Views: 3,121
Last edited:
LAPTOP BAKING!

I had the chance to purchase a good laptop for cheap with borked video. here is what it looked like before baking:

laptopbeforefix2.jpg

after baking!

baking_done.jpg

dx9game.jpg

dx9game2.jpg

pics of process... 7m 45s @385f in a conventional oven did the trick. i just happen to have a pan that supported the motherboard perfectly on 3 sides so i only had to use one foil ball.

100_5708.jpg

100_5712.jpg

100_5719.jpg

100_5722.jpg

100_5726.jpg

100_5727.jpg

Back