• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

FEATURED THE OVEN TRICK - WORKED

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
Hi guys recently 3 weeks ago more or less i baked my xfx 7970 like a charm =). Now my uncle´s laptop is dead.. Gpu only because it always give no signal.. My uncle have a heat gun.. Which distance should i do the process( between the gun and the gpu?? Thanks in advance =)
I can insert here a screenshot if it helps..

There is no carte blanch answer for this. Different guns have different settings, heat levels and air flow rates. I.e. I have a gun that's 400f and another that's 700f. Just gotta be careful and attentive

"The higher melting points of the typical Pb-Free
(Sn/Ag) solders requires reflow to occur above
240°C. The recommended soldering or reflow profile
must assure a minimum time above 240°C that takes
into account equipment temperature tolerances, and
with varying product and component size and mass.
Power semiconductor components can include larger
and more massive components as well as the standard
smaller components. This makes it more difficult to
optimize the reflow process for all components on
the PCB."

Apparently electrical solder will begin to reflow at ~400-420F. How people are doing this "Trick" at lower temps makes me scratch my head.

Heat source doesn't matter, as long as you're not melting plastics (I believe the plastics used in the construction of motherboards are of a very high heat tolerance to begin with). You can use an oven (gas or electric), heat gun, whatever, as long as you are careful.
I have always used 350F and it works fine. I reflowed several components including a laptop and TV mobo using 350F. The downside is it never lasts that long. Typically a few months at the max. Also, a quick Google search shows electrical solder melts at 370F, not 400.

Just repaired a GTX 680 last night. Was crashing any time I put it under a 3D load before, it's running smooth now though after I gave it a little attention with my heat gun on high.

Put it through multiple runs of 3DMark Firestrike and Catzilla. Seems to show no signs of instability.

Never mind, it broke again three days later. After another reflow, it didn't get any better.

I just baked a GTX 570 back to life. Gave it about 7 minutes under my heat gun, then let it cool for 10 minutes or so (I was heating it up outside, with a nice breeze here it cools off quickly).

Was previously giving artifacts at the desktop after it had a few minutes to warm up, and blue screening whenever given a 3D load to process.

Now it seems to be working normally, I ran several benchmarks (Aquamark3, 3DMark2001SE, 3DMark03, 3DMark05, 3DMark06) with multiple runs on each and it showed no artifacts and no signs of instability.

Post dated 4-17-2014

Oh, and three years later this GTX 570 still works and is in one of my backup PC's. It's a sweet one with 96.9% ASIC Quality, glad it could be resurrected.

Last edited:
Welp I've baked a few cards in the past with pretty good results. Today the patient is an MSI Twin Frozr III GTX 570. Since it was a freebie, it's been artifacting on occasion and I also get a wave effect overlay during dark images/screen saver mode. Let see if the "Oven Trick" will work on this oldie.

The patient;

Attachments

• DSC00085.JPG
    DSC00085.JPG
    72.9 KB · Views: 358
Neb, don't forget the anesthesia :beer:

Already ahead of ya Rob. I gave it a shot of the "good stuff" or did I give myself the shot? Can't remember...:rofl:

*Update*

It worked! No wave overlay and no artifacting...yet. Just benching it with MSI Kombuster @ stock settings. Load temps don't exceed 57c. Looks like it'll live to fight another day! :clap:

Last edited:
Already ahead of ya Rob. I gave it a shot of the "good stuff" or did I give myself the shot? Can't remember...:rofl:

*Update*

It worked! No wave overlay and no artifacting...yet. Just benching it with MSI Kombuster @ stock settings. Load temps don't exceed 57c. Looks like it'll live to fight another day! :clap:

Kinda redefines 'Shake & Bake'.

i baked a msi 580gtx a couple of days ago. it was overheating and crashing immediately after running anything stressful. at first i thought i was golden. everything ran fine. ran kombuster and was gtg. but today it is gently artifacting:cry: just little pin pricks atm but we all know where this show goes. so much for running my 580s in sli again.

EDIT- hmmm, i just ran 3dmark with no issues wtf. it seems that it will artifact with an all black background but it runs just fine when i bench it? i dont get it. i wonder if its this monitor? even now as i type this im seeing little green dots popping up on the screen with black background? they come and go as i page up and down.

Last edited:
My 570 is done. Once I start a bench/game, I get these weird artifacts resembling dollar signs, lol! If I don't put a load on it, the card runs fine. I'll just save it to test mobos or something, but it's gaming days are done :-/

i baked a msi 580gtx a couple of days ago. it was overheating and crashing immediately after running anything stressful. at first i thought i was golden. everything ran fine. ran kombuster and was gtg. but today it is gently artifacting:cry: just little pin pricks atm but we all know where this show goes. so much for running my 580s in sli again.

EDIT- hmmm, i just ran 3dmark with no issues wtf. it seems that it will artifact with an all black background but it runs just fine when i bench it? i dont get it. i wonder if its this monitor? even now as i type this im seeing little green dots popping up on the screen with black background? they come and go as i page up and down.
Check for bulging caps. One of my older cards had similar symptoms,I recapped it and it works great now.

My 570 is done. Once I start a bench/game, I get these weird artifacts resembling dollar signs, lol! If I don't put a load on it, the card runs fine. I'll just save it to test mobos or something, but it's gaming days are done :-/

boo! that sucks. well at least you can get SOME use out of it tho ;)

Check for bulging caps. One of my older cards had similar symptoms,I recapped it and it works great now.

took your advice Mandrake and looked for anything abnormal with no luck. i was actually hoping for a bulging cap or two to explain this away. its working fine and dandy in sli, other than green dots on a black background hahaha. ive benched it 4 or 5 times now and havent seen any artifacting of any kind! ill keep running it in sli until something else goofy happens:shrug:

I would consider recapping anything that's been in the high temp repair shop. The temps needed to reflow solder are hell on capacitors. I'm thinking of popping a mobo in the oven. It's already not working, so nothing to lose. LOL

Back