Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 30
  1. #1

    How big of a monitor should I get?

    I currently have a 17" LCD running at 1024x768. I am looking to upgrade to 1920x1080 but I don't want anything to get any smaller. What size monitor would you recommend to keep the icons, etc at roughly the same size w/ the upgraded resolution?

  2. #2
    Epic Fail Guy JamesXP's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    England
    All 17" LCd should be at 1280x1024.


    I like my 22" @ 1680x1050
    i5 3570K @ 4.5GHz
    Thermalright Macho 120
    ASRock Z77 Pro4
    8GB Kingston HyperX 1600MHz
    128GB Samsung 830 SSD
    EVGA GTX770 ACX
    EVGA Supernova 750G2
    Corsair 650D

  3. #3
    Anyone who would like to provide an answer to my question rather than some random rambling?

  4. #4
    Member LufbraDan23's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    Suffolk UK
    I'm not sure what you mean about not wanting anything to get smaller (the aspect ratio of a larger monitor means that icons might be a few pixels out) but if you're after 1920x1080 then you'll want a good 26in monitor.

    Some cheaper ones will only go to 1680x1050.

    I use a 22in Asus though and i can't fault it.
    Back after a few years away.

    Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bit
    Intel Core i5 750 @2.66ghz
    Gigabyte Radeon R9 280x OC 3GB
    8GB Corsair DDR3 RAM
    Some 128GB SSD
    Corsair TX650w PSU

  5. #5
    Quote Originally Posted by LufbraDan23 View Post
    I'm not sure what you mean about not wanting anything to get smaller (the aspect ratio of a larger monitor means that icons might be a few pixels out) but if you're after 1920x1080 then you'll want a good 26in monitor.

    Some cheaper ones will only go to 1680x1050.

    I use a 22in Asus though and i can't fault it.
    Well my icons are about 3/4" now and I don't want them to get much smaller running a new LCD at 1920x1080. Obviously I can change font/icon size etc. but I've tried that and it just doesn't work well so I was aiming to get a monitor big enough that I could have the proper resolution and still be able to read the screen

  6. #6
    Member Rich'[ard]'s Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    Melb, AUS
    you know Vista has a feature that zooms in on icons if you want, right?
    i make my icons as small as possible, so my 22" looks more roomy

    you can make an icon as big as 10cm x 10cm. so just get whatever size your want, as icon size is able to be changed.
    яιн.
    Processor 3570K @ 4.5GHz 1.2v
    Heatsink Noctua NH-D14
    Motherboard Gigabyte G1 Sniper-M3
    Memory 8GB Vengeance C9
    Storage Samsung 830 120GB + Seagate Barracuda 2TB
    Graphics Powercolor 7950 PCS+
    Power Corsair HX650
    Case Corsair 300R
    Windows w7 64bit
    Goodies Logitech z5400 5.1............G15|G3
    HP Folio 13 Ultrabook

  7. #7
    MARCI's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    Folding for T32 in Lawrenceville, Ga
    Folding Profile Heatware Profile
    Simple answer, get as big a monitor as you can afford/fit. you'll never regret having more real-estate
    My Heat
    C2D E8400 @3.6 1.184vCore
    GIGABYTE EP45-DS3L
    8 GB G.SKILL PC8500
    MSI GTX260 (216) OC 896MB folding 24/7
    CORSAIR CMPSU-1000HX
    Folding User Stats

  8. #8
    Quote Originally Posted by Rich'[ard] View Post
    you know Vista has a feature that zooms in on icons if you want, right?
    i make my icons as small as possible, so my 22" looks more roomy

    you can make an icon as big as 10cm x 10cm. so just get whatever size your want, as icon size is able to be changed.
    Yeah but as above, the zoom in/out features, etc. don't quite cut it for me.

    Quote Originally Posted by MARCI View Post
    Simple answer, get as big a monitor as you can afford/fit. you'll never regret having more real-estate
    I'll file this under the same place as JamesXP's response that also in no way answered the question.


    I'm going to quit while I'm ahead and thank you LufbraDan23 for your help.

  9. #9
    Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2003
    look up the pixel pitch of your monitor. You want that pixel pitch to match your new monitors pixel pitch I'll be backw ith the math solution to do this without knowing the pixel pitch

  10. #10
    Member LufbraDan23's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    Suffolk UK
    Quote Originally Posted by Ach3r0n View Post
    Yeah but as above, the zoom in/out features, etc. don't quite cut it for me.



    I'll file this under the same place as JamesXP's response that also in no way answered the question.


    I'm going to quit while I'm ahead and thank you LufbraDan23 for your help.
    Good luck with your quest
    Back after a few years away.

    Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bit
    Intel Core i5 750 @2.66ghz
    Gigabyte Radeon R9 280x OC 3GB
    8GB Corsair DDR3 RAM
    Some 128GB SSD
    Corsair TX650w PSU

  11. #11
    Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2003
    I have the answer but first I would like to know a little bit about you. Honestly I believe that if you are interested in this problem you should easily be able to solve it yourself if you are at least a highschool student. If you are not yet a high school student I will tell you the answer. If you are out of hs I will teach you how in PM.

    edit 26 in will not be the size that you are looking for
    Last edited by jediman; 05-21-09 at 07:30 AM.

  12. #12
    Epic Fail Guy JamesXP's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    England
    If everythign is too small for you (like my father) running the monitor at 96DPI makes things much more readable. (AFAIK if you are using vista you can chose more defined levels aswell)
    i5 3570K @ 4.5GHz
    Thermalright Macho 120
    ASRock Z77 Pro4
    8GB Kingston HyperX 1600MHz
    128GB Samsung 830 SSD
    EVGA GTX770 ACX
    EVGA Supernova 750G2
    Corsair 650D

  13. #13
    Super User SuperMiguel's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    Florida, US
    get a 24"
    <(+_+)> (v)g <(+_+)>

  14. #14
    Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2003
    24 inch is not the answer you are looking for but i agree with them. get a 24 or 26 inch if you are looking for a monitor and change the dpi in the windows controls.

  15. #15
    Member Rich'[ard]'s Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    Melb, AUS
    Quote Originally Posted by Ach3r0n View Post
    Yeah but as above, the zoom in/out features, etc. don't quite cut it for me.



    I'll file this under the same place as JamesXP's response that also in no way answered the question.


    I'm going to quit while I'm ahead and thank you LufbraDan23 for your help.
    well...
    i don't really see your logic here. but you're saying that, you want size screen but have everything look as big as they are now?

    then why not get a 24" or something and run it at 1024x768. then everything will the same, pixel wise.

    and by default, the icons are the same size anyway. it's just that with a 17", you're much closer to the screen then say you are when looking on a 24-30" screen.
    яιн.
    Processor 3570K @ 4.5GHz 1.2v
    Heatsink Noctua NH-D14
    Motherboard Gigabyte G1 Sniper-M3
    Memory 8GB Vengeance C9
    Storage Samsung 830 120GB + Seagate Barracuda 2TB
    Graphics Powercolor 7950 PCS+
    Power Corsair HX650
    Case Corsair 300R
    Windows w7 64bit
    Goodies Logitech z5400 5.1............G15|G3
    HP Folio 13 Ultrabook

  16. #16
    MARCI's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    Folding for T32 in Lawrenceville, Ga
    Folding Profile Heatware Profile
    Rich, He wants someone to calculate for him the size screen that he would need to have the icon appear to be the same size at the increased resolution. IE on a 17 inch monitor, at 1024x768 the icon is 1/2"x1/2".

    How big would my monitor need to be for my icon to remain at 1/2"x1/2" if I increase the pixel resolution to 1920x1080.

    He wants someone to calculate for him the measurements in pixel height and width of his current icons, then determine how large the new monitor must be for the same pixel map to be the same physical size, when displayed at a different resolution.
    My Heat
    C2D E8400 @3.6 1.184vCore
    GIGABYTE EP45-DS3L
    8 GB G.SKILL PC8500
    MSI GTX260 (216) OC 896MB folding 24/7
    CORSAIR CMPSU-1000HX
    Folding User Stats

  17. #17
    Member antipesto93's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    london
    i7-930 3939A @ 3.8ghz 1.3v W/HT
    Cogage arrow + Akasa apache
    Gigabyte Ex58-Extreme
    GTX470 (unlocked 465)
    6GB DDR3 OCZ Gold 1600mhz
    1tb + 500gb F3's
    Corsair TX650W
    CM 690 II
    z-2300

  18. #18
    Quote Originally Posted by jediman View Post
    I have the answer but first I would like to know a little bit about you. Honestly I believe that if you are interested in this problem you should easily be able to solve it yourself if you are at least a highschool student. If you are not yet a high school student I will tell you the answer. If you are out of hs I will teach you how in PM.

    edit 26 in will not be the size that you are looking for
    You're an arse and likely half my age. Age is irrelevant though. Considering you only jumped on this thread to be an arse, your help isn't needed.

    Quote Originally Posted by Rich'[ard] View Post
    well...
    i don't really see your logic here. but you're saying that, you want size screen but have everything look as big as they are now?
    The logic is that I don't want tiny little icons and text that come with the higher resolution. You can adjust all the settings you want and it doesn't equate across the board for everything being equally visible, particularly when surfing the web.

    Quote Originally Posted by MARCI View Post
    Rich, He wants someone to calculate for him the size screen that he would need to have the icon appear to be the same size at the increased resolution. IE on a 17 inch monitor, at 1024x768 the icon is 1/2"x1/2".

    How big would my monitor need to be for my icon to remain at 1/2"x1/2" if I increase the pixel resolution to 1920x1080.

    He wants someone to calculate for him the measurements in pixel height and width of his current icons, then determine how large the new monitor must be for the same pixel map to be the same physical size, when displayed at a different resolution.
    Actually I would have preferred someone provide me with the equation for it as I am the type who is anxious to learn - but I would have settled for the answer itself. I was never very good in algebra or I suppose I could have figured it out myself. Apparently though, I came across a few people who were just looking to boost their post count but were unwilling or unable to offer any real assistance. That's fine, I got my answer now.

  19. #19
    Magical Leopluridon Senior MadMan007's Avatar
    10 Year Badge
    Join Date
    Nov 2001
    Location
    in a magical field
    Heatware Profile
    It's pretty simple bud and has been mentioned a few times already If you want things to appear the same size at the same DPI settings you want the same or as close as possible dot pitch. For example, items on a 1680x1050 monitor with 0.27mm dot pitch will appear exactly the same size as a 1920x1200 monitor with 0.27mm dot pitch (all Windows settings like DPI the same) the latter will simply have more total desktop space.
    There are three sides to any argument - side A, side B, and the Truth

    "This had better be frikkin' important. Is the meadow on fire?"

  20. #20
    Jolly-Swagman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    Folding@Home in Downunder Australia.Victoria
    Author Profile Folding Profile Heatware Profile
    Exactly the BenQ 22inch E2200HD @ 1920 x 1080 is what I have and the icons on my 17inch 1280 x 1024 96dpi are the same size as on the BenQ just a hell of allot more Real estate to be had on the 22inch

    So this is about the size the OP should be looking at.

    But most game run @ 1680x1050

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •