• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

How big of a monitor should I get?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
Rich, He wants someone to calculate for him the size screen that he would need to have the icon appear to be the same size at the increased resolution. IE on a 17 inch monitor, at 1024x768 the icon is 1/2"x1/2".

How big would my monitor need to be for my icon to remain at 1/2"x1/2" if I increase the pixel resolution to 1920x1080.

He wants someone to calculate for him the measurements in pixel height and width of his current icons, then determine how large the new monitor must be for the same pixel map to be the same physical size, when displayed at a different resolution.
you always come to my rescure :p
i understand what he is asking now.

but then, aren't all screens the same?
everything looks the same, it's just that bigger monitors get bigger screen area. am i correct?

i've had 15"CRT, 19" 1440x900 LCD and my 22" 1680x1050 screen, and everything is the same size.
it's just that, i can view 2 A4 windows on my 22" whereas my other 2 screens can't.

No one gave you the answer besides to look at the dot pitch. you can come to the answer without the dot pitch by calculating (approximating) the dot pitch and then using that to find the dimensions of the monitor at that resolution. Thanks for calling me an arse for trying to teach you. If i cared about my post count it would be much higher in the 6 years i've been posting. The answer is 29 inches. Now you can maintain your current level of mathematical ability. I have not seen a 1080p monitor at 29 inches but you might be able to get a 30 inch tv at this resolution.

Anyway, the dot pitch really turned out to be quite irrelevant. This LCD has the same dot pitch as the old one. At default settings, everything was considerably smaller. So of course I changed the dpi setting in Windows but that doesn't solve the problems of web surfing. I suppose I'll adapt though. There's no way I was going to spend the ridiculous amount of money a 29" costs anyway. ;)

Wow... way to go. critisize and insult people who were actually trying to help you out and in the end being the actual 'arse' to everyone. Great job. I applaud to you, not knowing how you can look yourself in the mirror everyday and live on.

Ach3r0n, you don't need to be so curt...

Anyway, the dot pitch really turned out to be quite irrelevant. This LCD has the same dot pitch as the old one. At default settings, everything was considerably smaller. So of course I changed the dpi setting in Windows but that doesn't solve the problems of web surfing. I suppose I'll adapt though. There's no way I was going to spend the ridiculous amount of money a 29" costs anyway. ;)

In what way is dot pitch irrelevant? If the new and old monitor has the same dot pitch, your font size will still be the same. You'll just have more resolution.

Back