• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Seasonic SS-650HT or Corsair TX650W?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Aslan

I'm basically deciding between these two PSUs. Both are the same cost, although the Corsair has a MIR. I believe the Corsair is also a Seasonic build, but are there any difference worth noting between the two PSUs?

Thanks.

Yes the Corsair is made by Seasonic. Looking at NewEgg, the SS is $140 whereas the Corsair is $75 ($95 - $20 MIR) ... $100 CAD ($120 - $20 MIR) I'd take the Corsair as they look like they seem nearly identical otherwise. The Corsair has 2 extra SATA plugs and the SS has 1 extra molex plug. One claims to have +12 split-rail and the other single-rail but that may simply be marketing as it is with the PSU in my sig (which is actually a single-mail but marketed as a split)

I see you're in Canada but you should be able to find similar prices there.

Corsair's comes with a carrying bag in case you get the sudden urge to take your PSU for a walk ...

Yeah the PCBs look the same. If you look at some of the part numbers, even those are the same. The fan is the same also.

Corsair

Seasonic

Last edited:
Well I went for the Corsair. Judging from the comments at Jonnyguru it's basically the same PSU as the Seasonic, but with a higher temperature rating and a better support service.

Yes the Corsair is made by Seasonic. Looking at NewEgg, the SS is $140 whereas the Corsair is $75 ($95 - $20 MIR) ... $100 CAD ($120 - $20 MIR) I'd take the Corsair as they look like they seem nearly identical otherwise. The Corsair has 2 extra SATA plugs and the SS has 1 extra molex plug. One claims to have +12 split-rail and the other single-rail but that may simply be marketing as it is with the PSU in my sig (which is actually a single-mail but marketed as a split)

I see you're in Canada but you should be able to find similar prices there.

Yeah the PCBs look the same. If you look at some of the part numbers, even those are the same. The fan is the same also.

Corsair

Seasonic

That is true.
Is it true that some PSU's that claim to be multiple +12V rails don't have the +12V rail split at all?

Yes, this is true. But it's the exception and not the norm. It's typically seen in Seasonic built units (like the Corsair HX and Antec True Power Trio.) It's actually cheaper to make a single +12V rail PSU because you forego all of the components used in splitting up and limiting each rail and this may be one reason some OEM's will not split the rails, but say they are split. Some system builders adhere very closely to ATX12V specification for liability reasons, so a company that wants to get that business but also save money and reduce R&D costs will often "fib" and say the PSU has it's +12V split when it does not.

JohnnyGURU made an excellent writeup on multi vs single rail PSUs.

For ease of reference, I'll give you his conclusion:

Ok... What's the bottom line?

The bottom line is, for 99% of the folks out there single vs. multiple +12V rails is a NON ISSUE. It's something that has been hyped up by marketing folks on BOTH SIDES of the fence. Too often we see mis-prioritized requests for PSU advice: Asking "what single +12V rail PSU should I get" when the person isn't even running SLI! Unless you're running a plethora of Peltiers in your machine, it should be a non-issue assuming that the PSU has all of the connectors your machine requires and there are no need for "splitters" (see Example 1 in the previous bullet point).

Back