• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Total Video Card Memory?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Foxie3a

Normal Member
Just a quick question that's hard to google...

I'm looking in DXDiag and it tells me that the "Approx. Total Memory" for my 4870 1GB is 3827MB. My FireMV is 2936MB. I assume they're referring to using my system's RAM. Are these numbers where they should be? My FireMV will never be doing anything beyond 2D, but pretty 2D with visuals. I might play a game here and there with my 4870, but it has enough memory.

I'm sure this is something like the page file where you always have to have it, but I just wanted to make sure that it's doing what it's supposed to, and not using my RAM instead of VRAM.

Thanks!

You failed to mention what operating system you are running. If you are using Vista, 7, or even XP under most circumstances, they all have good memory managers and will use system ram if (and only if) necessary.

Sorry for not mentioning. I am using Win2008 Enterprise 64 Bit, fully patched.

Back