• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Gateway 2000 NS-9000, Pentium Pro, 5 core server

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
I'd need two kill-a-watts, it has two power cords.

Or you could plug both the power cords into an adapter and then the adapter to the kill-a-watt. Would that work?

5 cpus? I thought they had to be setup in pairs back then.

Nice old piece of crap! Gota love servers :)

I think its computing power is slower than a Xeon (the one before 771socket), y et consumes much more power...

I had a pentium pro. Very unique CPUs and yes, they are still functional.

If you can turn that into a file server. I bet its freaking loud, too.

At my job we have a dead dell server (kinda modern, takes ddr ecc RAM) and it is just as heavy as that server.

Actually, not too loud. It uses Delta 120mm fans and it is more of a "woosh" than grinding.

haha that brings back memories, I love seeing old servers again. Got a couple graveyard worthy servers around here too. An old IBMNetserv, Compaq Proliant (yes Compaq and not HP :p )

Dear sir:
I have an ALR 9000 as well. I'm having trouble locating the correct VRMs for it, although I do all about 12 of the PPro200 processors. Have you loaded an OS, yet?
-Jaaudio

Last edited by a moderator:
What a beast, I like it.

It makes my Compaq Proliant 5000 tower, quad Pentium Pro dwarfed compared to this six P Pro monster

I wouldn't say no to buy this if it...errr...takes up too much room at your place ;-)

It doesn't take up too much space, I use it as a night-stand :p

Most expensive night-stand, ever!

It doesn't take up too much space, I use it as a night-stand :p

Most expensive night-stand, ever!

lol! :-D

What OS are you running on it?

Wish I could get my Proliant up and running soon...PSU died the 2nd day I used it :-(

I don't believe I formatted the hard drive, so I think it is running the Fedora 3 (or 2?) install that it came with. Don't know any of the login information though.

I tried booting to a live CD, but the video card doesn't have enough memory to run it. I think I also tried CentOS, but that wouldn't work. For right now, there is no feasible use for it, so it stays off. If I need a heater in the winter, I know where I am starting though.

I don't believe I formatted the hard drive, so I think it is running the Fedora 3 (or 2?) install that it came with. Don't know any of the login information though.

I tried booting to a live CD, but the video card doesn't have enough memory to run it. I think I also tried CentOS, but that wouldn't work. For right now, there is no feasible use for it, so it stays off. If I need a heater in the winter, I know where I am starting though.

Sounds like you should sell it to somebody to me.

I'd think about it. Kind of a far drive for you though ;)

I'd think about it. Kind of a far drive for you though ;)

I don't want it, it'se useless to me. I may have typed that statement a bit vaguly, but more correctly,

Sounds to me like you should sell that big box of nothing to somebody.

Maybe somebody else can make something of it. Everything else you have is so far above and beyond that thing that the only thing it could do is handle routing for you and that's so misplased as a router it's scary.

Last edited:
I should donate it to a museum...

I might find a use for it, I just don't want to pay the electric bill right now and I don't really have a place to use it. It'd be sitting in the living room where the other computers are. We are already on the edge of blowing the circuit, this doesn't help >.>

Once I get out of the apt, get a rack to put everything in and get a dedicated power line for the servers, THEN I think I'll find a use for it :)

This kind of reminds me of the thread that showed a GB drive from the 80's compared to today's micro ssd gb. The 80's drive was tire sized.

There must be a lot of memory in there. The outside sticks look to be only 64mb.

There must be a lot of memory in there. The outside sticks look to be only 64mb.
Model: Gateway NS-9000
CPU: 5x 200mhz Pentium Pro - Socket 8 (upgradable to 6, just need the processor/VRM)
Mem: 1280mb assorted DIMM
Drives: 1.5" thick IBM unknown size (need to get a OS up)
PSU: 3 + 1 redundant, 350w each; 1050w for the system and one hot spare

It has a TON of memory for its age.

Yeah I remeber doing CAM work on an HP workstation at the turn of the millenium that had $$$$ upgrade's worth of 1GB RAM and we thought "Wow! One gigabyte of RAM!" :drool:

Back