• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Gateway 2000 NS-9000, Pentium Pro, 5 core server

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Automata

Destroyer of Empires and Use
I acquired this 113lb Gateway MONSTER today. This was a server made back in 1996-1997 and was a beast of a server, upgradable to 6 200mhz Pentium Pro's and able to take up to 4gb of RAM!! It also has a control panel on front (touch screen LCD!) where you can see temps, fan speeds, voltages and everything you could possibly imagine. Even CPU/HDD usage is included, no OS or software is needed!!

This server sold for over $13,000 USD when released. The amount of work and thought they put into it is extremely obvious, I hope to keep this thing for a long time.

Model: Gateway NS-9000
CPU: 5x 200mhz Pentium Pro - Socket 8 (upgradable to 6, just need the processor/VRM)
Mem: 1280mb assorted DIMM
Drives: 1.5" thick IBM unknown size (need to get a OS up)
PSU: 3 + 1 redundant, 350w each; 1050w for the system and one hot spare

Enough talking, these pictures make me drool....

gateway_server_left.jpg

gateway_server_front.jpg

gateway_server_right.jpg

gateway_server_pci.jpg

gateway_server_cpumem.jpg

Your eyes do not deceive you. Those are three riser cards, two card for 3x CPUs and 1 for a ton of memory!

Last edited:
I have absolutely no idea. Maybe if I could stop staring at it....

If I took the SCSI backplane off, you could just clip in any drive you want. I have a file server already along with a Dell Poweredge that is off at the moment.

I really need to find a use for these things >.<

Man, seeing that Gateway 2000 symbol brings me back
I remember when we got our first computer. Gateway 2000, 166 mhz Pentium I, 1.6Gb hard drive (raided I think), I miss that thing :(

OMG DUDE! I SO WANT THAT! I'D HIT IT, WITH ROSIE!!

wow so manythings you could do with that... really though you should put bonic on it and see how the rig does... now you need that last cpu and VRM, ppro's are cheap on the bay!!

I'll only tear it apart when parts are too expensive to justify the cost of running the server. It has got 4 psu's, so those shouldn't fail anytime soon...

That is one heck of an overkill beast you have there. I can believe it cost $13k in its heyday. Can't believe it still operates properly. If you don't mind me asking, how much did it cost you? Would be interesting to see how much $13k worth of computer hardware depreciates in 12 years.

Cost me absolutely nothing. All I had to do was pick it up.

I still have my ol' Micron Millenia Pro2 Pentium Pro 200 dual socket workstation and it still boots and works. It was built before all that bad cap nonsense a few years later.

Wow, EDO DIMMS... that's something you don't see too often.

So now you just need, like, six Voodoo2's. :D

I would definitely look into a different hard drive setup for it, though, if you plan to play with it much. A single SATA drive would be faster, cooler and much quieter than all those old Ultra/20 SCSI drives, and would probably knock quite a bit off the power consumption as well.

(I also advise that you go for the route of blissful ignorance and don't plug it into a Kill-a-watt, ever... you'll probably poo yourself if you see how much juice it pulls. :eek:)

Back