• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Replace capacitors or get new card?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

kayboykb

2 years after I get my Gateway FPD2275 .. it's finally gone black on me. Right in the middle of a wow raid .. *sigh* It seems a lot of the monitors from this time period had a problem with the inverter card capacitors, and mine is no exception. I figured I'd just get some new capacitors and solder them on, but looks like my card has some pretty extensive damage. What do you think?

Card1.jpg

Looks like the capacitor towards the bottom is bulging up too.

0525092214.jpg

I just see the one cap, or am I missing something? If you're referring to the white stuff, that is glue. That cap doesn't look like it would be a big deal to replace, so if it works, that is a lot of money saved, and if it doesn't, it isn't much lost by trying.

point taken, lesson learned :) it is glue, lol.. but the one capacitor at the bottom is definitely bulging so I'll go ahead and replace that and see what happens

It might be worth the extra time and $5 to replace all the electrolytics on the board. If one went bad, chances are good that the others are of similar quality. It may not be absolutely necessary, but it's a cheap fix and you already have it disassembled anyway... so why not be absolutely sure the problem won't return.

Thanks for the replies guys :) Definitely gonna take some precaution before I dig in there. Just found out my soldering iron doesn't get hot enough.. bleh, guess I gotta buy another one with a bit more wattage.

Question though - just in case this doesn't work (...), can you get another generic inverter board or does it have to be the same exact one? This monitor's board was connected to the USB ports on the monitor but I never used it anyway.

Can't seem to find any online

edit** just found some on ebay for $35. May go this route, the soldering iron + capacitors and solder may end up being $35.. :D

Hey just curious how things worked out with the inverter. I've got the same monitor and suspect the inverter. Any info you can provide would be apprec. Thanks!

bump, how did you open the case on it? I have a buddies here and we know its the inverter board...but cant open the case. Ive already butchered up the bottom pretty good with a butter knife

Back