• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

DOS command help needed

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Guid0

I'm trying to run tracert and i want the results to be loddeg to a file i have created.

File - c:Tracert
command - tracert www.google.com > c:Tracert.txt ???

doesn't the ">" a pointer telling dos to put the output in the speified location

but it only logs one trace .........how do i tell it to append or start logging @ EOF?

i would like to do all this without opening a C++ compiler

Last edited:
Dos itself does not assign that function to the ">". I am unfamilar with that program, as well, so cannot comment on the proper command...

Did it come with a help file or readme?

it's built into windows.....no help topics availible.... the reason i need this is my ISP has requested it.........i believe they have a bottle neck somewere and would like to have my network do the probing for them.

yeah the comman c:\>tracert www.website.com > c:tracert.txt works except it will destroy the old info. i need it to append to the file or start logging at the end of file character....hmmmm

i haven't needed doss this much since highschool.......jeeez

can be done I did something simular to adding lines to the config.sys and autoexec in a proggy I made, drop me an email and I will see what I can find for you.

Hi Guido,

The first time ( or whenever you want to start with a fresh text file), use the command as you have it. To append results to the same file, instead of replacing the entire file, simply use two >s.

So you'd use something like this:

tracert www.website.com >>c:tracert.txt

Has been a while, so I tried this on both my systems here, and it worked fine. Gotta love DOS!

Hope this helps,

Dave

im not sure if this will help or not but there is a program called neotrace that logs all the hops from you to a website and gives the ping tims of each node you reach

might help

i dont know where to get it but do a search

crash893 said:
im not sure if this will help or not but there is a program called neotrace that logs all the hops from you to a website and gives the ping tims of each node you reach

might help

i dont know where to get it but do a search

Yup, neotrace works well.
Also, using tracert, why not just do: C:\Tracert "site"
?

dru said:
Hi Guido,

The first time ( or whenever you want to start with a fresh text file), use the command as you have it. To append results to the same file, instead of replacing the entire file, simply use two >s.

So you'd use something like this:

tracert www.website.com >>c:tracert.txt

Has been a while, so I tried this on both my systems here, and it worked fine. Gotta love DOS!

Hope this helps,

Dave
Yup!! Davie correct. I just consulted my trusty DOS 4.0 manual, and ran a test or three and it works.

Good work Dave! I was thinking piping with the "|" key, but it didn't work. Good to hear of another DOS lover! :D

JigPu

Smizack said:

Yup, neotrace works well.
Also, using tracert, why not just do: C:\Tracert "site"
?

Cause i need it in a .txt file for my ISP.....copy and paste in dos never works for me.........hmmmm maybe it's not supposed to ......either way I think i like the ">>" trick pretty painless.......works for me.........thanx fellas

i think neo trace letts you save results

it also gives ping times too ( best and worst times)

Back