• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Project Natal

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Hardin

Did anyone else see the Microsoft Press Conference? I thought this was the best part. I was amazed by Peter Molyneux's demo. I think this will change dialog in future games and interactions in general.

Fable II actually lived up to most of the hype. It's too soon to dismiss this. I think this is revolutionary. I posted this after Fudge this is weird.

Peter has promised the moon and delivered swiss cheese in the past. I'm not falling for his glamour any longer.

I have to agree... However, the device does look very promising and if it does what they show it can do... HOLY CRAP! (Click See it in action)

I however think the video is all acting and pretty good timing by everyone...(body syncing) There is no way they have this is full working product with no release date or games, but clearly show a few ready....IMO

Joe

It's kind of an absurd concept to expect that your video game console will be able to recognize your body movements smoothly and accurately. That alone is beyond what present systems can do, let alone having the system also working on a next-gen game.

Some features are really cool (scanning your own equipment), and some are kinda gimmicky (the pit stop, wtf?)

Natal is cool yes... but not practical. This has nothing to do with Peter, I actually like his games. But Natal isn't practical. It's too much like the Wii and its games. You pick it up, and for the first few weeks... you're like HOLLLLLYYY SH*********T THIS IS AWESOME! HE JUST GRABBED THAT PAPER FROM ME!" and then the gimmick is done, you're bored, and you go back to playing a real game.

It does look nice. Only benefit of something like this is if it has some similar games to the Wii... means I wouldn't need to buy a Wii for the wife to play them.

Course that ball game was short, still intresting. The Milo video was quiet amazing which uses the technology as well.

Sony has something similar going, except with a controller:

http://www.gametrailers.com/video/e3-09-playstation-3/50276

I personally prefer Sony's approach since having buttons on the controller allows a lot more flexibility and control over more types of games. Natal is more for very casual games with simple mechanics, from what we've seen so far. I don't see how you'd play many of the types of games that gamers play nowadays, with it. But the PS3 motion capture shows more promise in that area, so far.

Maybe they could vastly change in features before final release though, never know.

Sony has something similar going, except with a controller:

http://www.gametrailers.com/video/e3-09-playstation-3/50276

I personally prefer Sony's approach since having buttons on the controller allows a lot more flexibility and control over more types of games. Natal is more for very casual games with simple mechanics, from what we've seen so far. I don't see how you'd play many of the types of games that gamers play nowadays, with it. But the PS3 motion capture shows more promise in that area, so far.

Maybe they could vastly change in features before final release though, never know.

Agreed.

As sony said in their tech demo, There are some experiences that you buttons and triggers for. A Shooting game just wouldn't feel right if you wasn't holding anything, or if you had to do some weird command to fire.

Gamers Like the idea of being able to have more control over the characters. But at the same time, We DON'T like to look straight out retarded when playing games either. Nor do we like to FEEL really stupid playing the game either. And sadly, that's where I see Natal. At least, from the video they gave us.

Plus, at least sony gave us real world demonstrations. so at the moment, I'm with sony on this one.

Sorry, i just need something in my hand when playing a game, or have some kind of feeling or feedback. making gestures with my arms isn't what I'm personally looking for.

Am I the only one who doesn't give a hoot about motion controlled gaming? When I have the time(which isn't often anymore) I just want to sit down and relax. The six axis on the PS3 is about as far as I want to go.

Am I the only one who doesn't give a hoot about motion controlled gaming? When I have the time(which isn't often anymore) I just want to sit down and relax. The six axis on the PS3 is about as far as I want to go.

Same here. Even then, I'm like "What? You want me to tilt my controller? Ugh."
For me, motion controlled gaming is most fun with friends.

I'll third that. It felt good to play Punchout with "classic" controls rather than flailing around like a chimpanzee on crank.

I agree that Natal only looks good for causal gaming due to reasons stated, but if Microsoft let you use Natal in addition to a controller of some kind so you had buttons available to press for the more complex games, I see it being superior to Sony.

Back