• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

GTX 285 versus GTX 260 Core 216 FTW

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

velozzity

I need some input as to how much stronger a video card the BFG GTX 285 OC is versus a GTX 260 Core 216 FTW....I dont have the FTW but I have a Evga SC overclocked stable to FTW levels, and want to know will there be any substantial performance increase with the BFG product and are there any issues with this video card in general such as overheating or memory???? Have googled the card and came up with some random threads about issues but did'nt know if that was a 285 issue in general or specific to BFG.

Also I dont have a SLI motherboard so buying another 260 is out of the question. Also I am interested because a local best buy has the BFG card on sale for $279.00, about 40-70 dollars cheaper than I had found it elsewhere.

you don't want SLI mobo ? ah it's so good to be naive...

and obviously gtx 285 is way better , even if you OC 260 FTW up to 285 , 285 will still be better since you can OC it even more than 260 ;)

the 285 is not wayyy better

most people would be hard pressed to tell the diff aside from a missing $100 in their wallet.

I had both, not really worth it for more than than a gtx 275 or a 4890 pricing wise, 4890 is as low as 170 and gtx 275 can be had for as low as 200, all top cards.
I def wouldnt pay more for a 285/280 than for a 275 anyway. Depends on your res too, at 1920x1200 I felt robbed gaming on a 285 and 280 compared to a single 4890 or gtx 260. If your at even lower res your really wasting your money anyway.

Not my topic, but thank you Rattle for that post. I have a couple hundred bucks sitting aside for a new card to replace my 4850 and have been wondering about the new GTX275 or the 4890 and gaming at 1920x1200 sounds like the 275 is the way to go for me.

Is it viable to purchase the 1.75GB version instead of the 1gb?
http://www.newegg.com/Product/ProductReview.aspx?Item=N82E16814130476

Or is that just over-marketed crapple?

Not my topic, but thank you Rattle for that post. I have a couple hundred bucks sitting aside for a new card to replace my 4850 and have been wondering about the new GTX275 or the 4890 and gaming at 1920x1200 sounds like the 275 is the way to go for me.

Is it viable to purchase the 1.75GB version instead of the 1gb?
http://www.newegg.com/Product/ProductReview.aspx?Item=N82E16814130476

Or is that just over-marketed crapple?

There are a few instances where you would be able to use more than the included 900MB. You won't be maxing the 1.8GB anytime soon, but you could possibly use more than 900MB and once you use more than the available RAM you might hit some lag.

If you wanted to run SLI and run at 2560x1600 or higher w/ max settings and lots of AA then the extra video-RAM could come in handy.

My mobo doesn't support SLI and I can't imagine myself getting a bigger monitor than my 24'' (for the time being ;-)).

I will wait and see if I can catch it for around $250 with some rebates/coupons/etc and may pick it up.

Thanks.

take a look at my thread i just got a 285, http://www.ocforums.com/showthread.php?t=607932

compared to my previous cards (8800GTS in sli) this card is amaing but compared to a 260 is tought, some times u notice difference some times you down but i got two friends with a 260 and my card safely out performs theirs not just ingame but rendering etc too :)

if u have the money get a 285 i personally went for a 285 over a 260 or anything else as its new ish, got the 1 gig memmory with a 512 bus and just gets great reviews :)

go 4890 man, you can nab them for well under 200 and its just as fast as a 275

Since when is the 4890 under $200? I know the 4870 is... which is more inline with the 260.

As for my opinion. Yes I love my 285. It does the job and does it nicely coming from a dual 4850 setup. Would I have it any other way... thinking about it at least at the time a 260 probably would of done the job, and would of been an easy option to opt for a second 260 later on.

But for just having 1 card at my 1920X1200 res the 285 does me justice and holds its own. 275 would be very close in terms of a 285 though.

i got mine for 189 shipped a piece and they are still around for even cheaper....yes new, ewiz has killer deals on them all the time.

Thanks for all the input I guess since the last time I checked in here there were 0 replies I figured no-one would answer, I guess I'm too spontaneous but I ended up ordering a Evga Gtx 285 FTW, since I have been really pleased with the Evga cards and I was informed that the FTW does have higher voltages than the vanilla (wanted to just overclock the vanilla card but since the vtuner from evga does'nt support this card was unsure of my potential success). This is probably really ultra overkill considering my current monitor is 1440x900 res. but I said WTF, Monitors are cheap and a good 22-24 incher is probably going to be my next investment.

To the poster who said something about me being naive, I have a 790x/sb 750 amd am2+ motherboard which I just purchased with my phenom II tri and It only does crossfire...when I bought it there was only like one decent sli board at the store where I got it and It said only supported 95watt cpu, since mine is 95 watt stock and overclocked, I did'nt want to take the risk of using an inferior board...THAT IS WHY I HAVE A CROSSFIRE BOARD NOT BECAUSE I AM NAIVE...When the MB manu's get there act together and produce a better selection of SLI MB for AMD processors I will go that route.....Hopefully by the time I'm ready to upgrade the MB and CPU (probably end of next year) I will get a sli board and sli the 285's.

thats why you should go intel then, better mobo and sli support but honestly i think from now on iel never go sli again unless something amazing comes up at a good price.

the card your getting is good but surely a little expensive lol?

and in the future go intel ;)

Wow! To make your card even halfway worthwhile you need to get a 1920x1200 monitor. If you'd mentioned your resolution before no one would have even cared about the 260 vs 285 difference and just told you to get a $100 card :p

Back