Results 1 to 7 of 7
  1. #1
    Member adriana's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Location
    Los Angeles

    Testing the rails

    I had my amd opteron 165 for almost three years and now decided to upgrade to an i7. I was initially planning to use my previous PSU until i saw the readings on CPUID hardware monitor. I know that I shouldn't trust software readings so i decided to test it with my multimeter. So I followed the basic guide, putting the leads into yellow and ground when the computer is off. However, once i turn on my computer, it loads for a second then completely shuts off. I was not able to turn on the computer until I reseted the PSU. Did i short anything and why is my computer preventing me from using the multimeter?
    case: COOLER MASTER 690
    motherboard: GIGABYTE X58 UD4P F13 BIOS
    processor: INTEL i7 DO HT&TURBO @ 4011 1.2V (summer cool-down 3.7 @ 1.168)
    ram: OCZ PLATINUM 7-7-7-24 1.66V
    air cooling: SUNBEAM CORE CONTACT FREEZER
    power supply: XFX 850W
    video card: NVIDIA 7900 GTX
    hard drive: INTEL 80GB X-25M G2, WESTERN DIGITAL BLACK 1TB
    speakers: 2.1 KLIPSCH SPEAKERS
    monitor: DELL 2408WFP

    HeatWare

  2. #2

    Destroyer of Spammers, Trolls and Cretins

    Premium Member #12
    RollingThunder's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by adriana View Post
    I had my amd opteron 165 for almost three years and now decided to upgrade to an i7. I was initially planning to use my previous PSU until i saw the readings on CPUID hardware monitor. I know that I shouldn't trust software readings so i decided to test it with my multimeter. So I followed the basic guide, putting the leads into yellow and ground when the computer is off. However, once i turn on my computer, it loads for a second then completely shuts off. I was not able to turn on the computer until I reseted the PSU. Did i short anything and why is my computer preventing me from using the multimeter?
    You need to list your new hardware that you are trying to power-up.
    Intel E8500 @ 3608 MHz...............Intel E7500 @ 3333 MHz Home Server
    DFI DK P45 T2RS Plus.................Same
    WD Velociraptor 150 & WD Raptor 74...Raptor 74 - Hitachi Deskstar 1TB
    ATI 5750.............................ATI 6200FX
    Dell Ultra Sharp U2413.............. Dell Ultra Sharp 2209WA
    2 x 2 GB GSkill PC8500 @ DDR2 960....2 x 1 GB GSkill PC8500
    Corsair HX520........................Corsair HX520
    Coolermaster NV 690..................Lian-Li PC-K7
    Vista 64.............................XP Pro
    Experience teaches only the teachable.

  3. #3
    Member adriana's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Location
    Los Angeles
    Quote Originally Posted by RollingThunder View Post
    You need to list your new hardware that you are trying to power-up.
    opps i apologize for that.

    Intel i7 D0
    Gigabyte UD4P
    Sunbeam Core Contact Freezer
    OCZ Platinum 1600 3x2gb
    WD Black 1TB
    X300SE (for not until I get the 4770)
    FSP BLUESTORM AX500-A
    Currently no optical drives
    Window 7
    case: COOLER MASTER 690
    motherboard: GIGABYTE X58 UD4P F13 BIOS
    processor: INTEL i7 DO HT&TURBO @ 4011 1.2V (summer cool-down 3.7 @ 1.168)
    ram: OCZ PLATINUM 7-7-7-24 1.66V
    air cooling: SUNBEAM CORE CONTACT FREEZER
    power supply: XFX 850W
    video card: NVIDIA 7900 GTX
    hard drive: INTEL 80GB X-25M G2, WESTERN DIGITAL BLACK 1TB
    speakers: 2.1 KLIPSCH SPEAKERS
    monitor: DELL 2408WFP

    HeatWare

  4. #4
    Water Cooled Moderator
    Overclockers.com Lead Editor
    hokiealumnus's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    Raleigh, NC
    Author Profile Benching Profile Heatware Profile
    I think your PSU might be a problem. That PSU is rated as having 2 x +12v rails @ 15A each. Per the handy-dandy PSU calculator, your system as-is (adding for 3 x 120mm fans) needs 279W, or 23.25A. It's not quite taking up the entire rated amperage, but in that older PSU, it might be enough to make it trip. Shouldn't be, but may be. If those are peak ratings and not continuous, I'd lean even further toward the opinion that it's the PSU.

    FWIW, You'll need a new one anyway when you get your new GPU. The PSU calculator doesn't have a 4770, but adding a 4870 ups the requirement to 395W, or 33A; more than yours is even rated for. Add some overclocking and you'll just move further over and above that.

    Enjoy benchmarks? Join the benching team!
    New to water cooling? Read the Beginner's Guide to Water Cooling Your PC.
    I.M.O.G. - "Night benching is the answer. Start sleeping every other day. Other than an occassional narcoleptic episode, its been wor"
    \m/ OverClockers mATX L33T Club \m/ - Join Now! - My mITX Build

  5. #5
    Member adriana's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Location
    Los Angeles
    Quote Originally Posted by hokiealumnus View Post
    I think your PSU might be a problem. That PSU is rated as having 2 x +12v rails @ 15A each. Per the handy-dandy PSU calculator, your system as-is (adding for 3 x 120mm fans) needs 279W, or 23.25A. It's not quite taking up the entire rated amperage, but in that older PSU, it might be enough to make it trip. Shouldn't be, but may be. If those are peak ratings and not continuous, I'd lean even further toward the opinion that it's the PSU.

    FWIW, You'll need a new one anyway when you get your new GPU. The PSU calculator doesn't have a 4770, but adding a 4870 ups the requirement to 395W, or 33A; more than yours is even rated for. Add some overclocking and you'll just move further over and above that.
    yikes! just when you think you can get away . i guess i'll be picking up some corsair psu. i thought my multimeter was going to Sh*& because blew a fuse in my car last time when I was back probing.
    case: COOLER MASTER 690
    motherboard: GIGABYTE X58 UD4P F13 BIOS
    processor: INTEL i7 DO HT&TURBO @ 4011 1.2V (summer cool-down 3.7 @ 1.168)
    ram: OCZ PLATINUM 7-7-7-24 1.66V
    air cooling: SUNBEAM CORE CONTACT FREEZER
    power supply: XFX 850W
    video card: NVIDIA 7900 GTX
    hard drive: INTEL 80GB X-25M G2, WESTERN DIGITAL BLACK 1TB
    speakers: 2.1 KLIPSCH SPEAKERS
    monitor: DELL 2408WFP

    HeatWare

  6. #6
    Water Cooled Moderator
    Overclockers.com Lead Editor
    hokiealumnus's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    Raleigh, NC
    Author Profile Benching Profile Heatware Profile
    A faulty MM could cause issues, but I think you're under powered anyway. I LOVE my corsair units. 2x 450VX & 1x 650TX under my belt so far. Unless something horrible happens to their QC, I'm sticking with them as long as they produce (well, rebrand) PSUs.

    Enjoy benchmarks? Join the benching team!
    New to water cooling? Read the Beginner's Guide to Water Cooling Your PC.
    I.M.O.G. - "Night benching is the answer. Start sleeping every other day. Other than an occassional narcoleptic episode, its been wor"
    \m/ OverClockers mATX L33T Club \m/ - Join Now! - My mITX Build

  7. #7
    Member adriana's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Location
    Los Angeles
    Quote Originally Posted by hokiealumnus View Post
    A faulty MM could cause issues, but I think you're under powered anyway. I LOVE my corsair units. 2x 450VX & 1x 650TX under my belt so far. Unless something horrible happens to their QC, I'm sticking with them as long as they produce (well, rebrand) PSUs.
    would this psu still be acceptable to use on my old opteron 165? currently running 3 fans at .17 amps, 1 drive, stock voltage. Is there any other way I can measure the rails without shorting the pc or is the psu just POS
    case: COOLER MASTER 690
    motherboard: GIGABYTE X58 UD4P F13 BIOS
    processor: INTEL i7 DO HT&TURBO @ 4011 1.2V (summer cool-down 3.7 @ 1.168)
    ram: OCZ PLATINUM 7-7-7-24 1.66V
    air cooling: SUNBEAM CORE CONTACT FREEZER
    power supply: XFX 850W
    video card: NVIDIA 7900 GTX
    hard drive: INTEL 80GB X-25M G2, WESTERN DIGITAL BLACK 1TB
    speakers: 2.1 KLIPSCH SPEAKERS
    monitor: DELL 2408WFP

    HeatWare

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •