• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Anyway to disable Windows Update Malicious Software removal tool from showing up

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

c627627

c(n*199780) Senior Member
There are systems on which people simply don't wish to waste time running it every 30 days, any way to disable it from showing up like you can other Windows Updates?

I never install it, I'm just bothered to have to UNCHECK it to prevent it from installing every second Tuesday of the month when new Windows Updates are available. :(

Oh! If you do a manual update, selecting the "Custom" not "Express", you uncheck the option to download and install it. Hit the "+" next to that check box. It will open the description and there will be a second checkbox that becomes availible "Don't show this update again" . Put a check in that box and it won't download that update, unless you hit the "restore hidden updates" button.

As CM said and also to Remove try this

How to remove the Malicious Software Removal Tool

The Malicious Software Removal Tool does not use an installer. Typically, when you run the Malicious Software Removal Tool, it creates a randomly named temporary directory on the root drive of the computer. This directory contains several files, and it includes the Mrtstub.exe file. Most of the time, this folder is automatically deleted after the tool finishes running or after the next time that you start the computer. However, this folder may not always be automatically deleted. In these cases, you can manually delete this folder, and this has no adverse effect on the computer.

Guys, I've never installed or ran this tool in my life. I don't need to uninstall it.

CrystalMethod, once you do that, it only takes care of it until the next second Tuesday of the month when Windows Update comes out with that month's Malicious Software Removal Tool.

There are a lot of people who don't want to be bothered scanning the list of updates for it and UNCHECKing it to prevent it from installing every second Tuesday. I've seen this question asked over the years for that reason but it appeared it cannot be disabled from showing up.

So your windows update looks like this?

msrt.gif

That's "supposed" to keep it from offering it to you every month. I'll keep digging and see if there's any other way to disable it.

Thanks and yes, that will only keep June 2009 (KB890839) from showing up.

Not July and later versions...

Well, after much more looking around. Some people at MS have "hinted", that it's possible. But, it always ends up with everything ending with "Why wouldn't you want the MSRT?". I'll keep poking around some more, but doesn't look like it's possible on the user end of things.

Last edited:
Back